Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV remote viewing

Options
  • 03-01-2017 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I got an electrician to install cctv system for me 12 months ago and I cannot get him back to finish the configuration so I am trying to do it myself with help from google..

There are 3 cameras on the system and they are wired for picture and sound to a DVR box in a shed. There is an internet cable running from the DVr to the modem in the house. I have managed to set up the DVr so that I can see it on my phone or iPad but only when I am connected to the same modem. I cannot see the cameras otherwise so I obviously do not have the port forwarding set up right. Also my internet provider is sky.

Is it possible to set up port forwarding using a sky router? I read somewhere that you need a static IP address and when I rang sky they said they do not offer this.

Also when I connected to the cameras through my phone there is a jump in the picture of 1/2 seconds so I think the broadband speed is not good enough.

I am coming to the conclusion that I would be better off if I got a SIM card and router and out it in the shed? What would be the best way to do this and if you could recommend one router that will give a static IP address and also instructions as to how to set up the port forwarding properly? I do not need the cameras all year round so if I was to get another router just for the cameras I would like a pay as you go package.

Thanks for any help I have been working on this all over Christmas and just seem to be going in circles.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi

Is not so easy but no too hard either if...
    -You know how to setup a static IP address reservation on the modem for your DVR ( thats on the LAN side);
    -You will need to know how to operate "port forwarding" on your bband modem,whatever port the DVR is "listening" to and map that port WAN to LAN,to your above DVR IP address;
    -Setup a dynamicDNS confiuration on the DVR so that can be used with the SKY dynamic broadband addressing (use that name rather than IP address)
    -You wiil need to buy / install / configure a remote view client sofware that works with your particular DVR;

Not lastly but rather firstly:
    -make sure that your DVR has the latest firmware / software running on the box itself (to protect you against any malware running free out there in the wilderness / internet)
    -setup a proper login on your DVR so that cannot be easily guessed.

Get a Pro to do it for you,hassle free, in maxim one hour should be up & running !

Have fun...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

OP
    So the electrician did not finish the job?
    Did you pay him?
    Is he PSA licenced to install cctv?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JackHarry

Hi Rolion,

Thanks for your reply. I thought I had learned a lot over the last few weeks till I read your reply. I don't know how to do many of the things you said even though they make a little sense to me. I never thought of getting the software updated. I'm thinking your advice of getting a pro to do it is my best option but I do not like doing this as I don't know if anyone will be willing to clean up another persons mess.

Hi Koolkid,

Thanks for your response. The electrician answers my calls every few months and promises to come back to fix the configuration and finish the job but never does. I have not paid him for any materials or labour nor has he given me a bill yet. He wired my house a few years ago and did a very good job but he was slow to finish that as well. I spoke to him before Christmas and he said he'd call the 22nd or 23rd and finish them but didn't turn up. I rang twice today but no answer so if I could figure out a way to finish myself at this stage I would. I'm not sure if he is PSA licensed but I assumed he was when he took on the job.

I just checked the PSA resister and he is not on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

JackHarry wrote: »
    I just checked the PSA resister and he is not on it.

That's what I would have assumed.

That's what I would have assumed.

Hi,

I'm not registered (and never will be sharing with) but I do receive every time requests from the CCTV installers to setup the LAN / WAN for the remote viewer client.
    Could be that they don't want to touch the IT side of the things or can't be bothered.

The OP's setup is part of the CCTV Terms & Conditions but above finishing of the install is more IT than CCTV.And more fun as is "visible" to the end user..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm not registered (and never will be sharing with) but I do receive every time requests from the CCTV installers to setup the LAN / WAN for the remote viewer client.
    Could be that they don't want to touch the IT side of the things or can't be bothered.

The OP's setup is part of the CCTV Terms & Conditions but above finishing of the install is more IT than CCTV.And more fun as is "visible" to the end user..

Like in any business, some don't up-skill and remain at a certain level and don't move with the times. I would disagree, networking is certainly not just for "fun" and is an essential part of the security system and can be crucial for confirming alarms signals.

I would stay away from any company who can't do their own networking, it doesn't bode well for the rest of their work.

Like in any business, some don't up-skill and remain at a certain level and don't move with the times. I would disagree, networking is certainly not just for "fun" and is an essential part of the security system and can be crucial for confirming alarms signals.

I would stay away from any company who can't do their own networking, it doesn't bode well for the rest of their work.

Hi Fred,

We know that we are profesionals in our field but i will not allow " ANY company who can't do their own networking" to come and start playing on my office network,servers,firewalls or of some of the clients !
    Is a different setup for home users but seen cases where installers are writting down on their paper netbooks all the end user(s) informations then forgets them on the counter at a near-by shop/reseller trade counter !

Also,in relation to registered or not...i consider CCTV to be less important than let's say WiFi or server/network/emails setup details.
    Maybe some smart arse organisation at their retirement comes with an ideea to get ALL of the wifi installers to be registered before been licenced to install a wireless access point in a building / office !!! Thieves comes and laughs in front of the camera,my neighbours dogs ****s on my grass or in front of the home ! Stealling emails and information off my office network has a much bigger impact and long term "source of income" in the wrong hands !

Regards

Advertisement