Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...shipping a bike to Norway for hols........

• 03-01-2017 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭

....anyone used a shipping service to Norway for a bike ? - am going there on (family) hols in the summer, and was thinking of having my bike shipped out and then back again, after, so I could at least tour some of the time, out there.

I see this service popular enough across southern EU, but can't seem to find anything to Scandinavia.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....anyone used a shipping service to Norway for a bike ? - am going there on (family) hols in the summer, and was thinking of having my bike shipped out and then back again, after, so I could at least tour some of the time, out there.

I see this service popular enough across southern EU, but can't seem to find anything to Scandinavia.........

Dont see any link to "this popular service".

Excluding the bike idea, what were your original travel plans, fly/hire drive or drive and ferry?

Here is an interesting little blog describing the journey from London to Oslo by car http://littlescandinavian.com/2016/04/13/from-uk-to-norway-by-car-and-ferry-this-is-how-we-travel-to-scandinavia/

Your possible Irish version of the route might be
    Dublin - Holyhead.
    Harwich - Hook of Holland etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

SO + 2 kids, so flying to Bergen. Driving to/from is not an option due to time constraints anyway.

One example of this service to southern EU is from Overlanders: http://www.overlanders.ie/

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Based on the following http://www.overlanders.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Overlanders-2017-Transport-Calendar-211016.pdf

I'd imagine if a service exists, you'll pay a similar amount to what they've quoting for Spain or Italy, €700 for a Cat 2 transport.

Why don't you contact them directly they could act as agents for a Nordic service. Perhaps check out if theyre are similar operators in N.Ireland

Personally, its big bucks just bring a bike on a family holiday which will in it own way restrict the amount of time you can spend touring.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Personally, its big bucks just bring a bike on a family holiday which will in it own way restrict the amount of time you can spend touring.

It's either that or rent one. As I can 'unload' the kids on relations, us 2 can head off on the bike handy for day out, or a couple of days easy enough.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Id say renting one is your easiest and least expensive option given the scale of time it would be used and the logistics, this not being a common route.

• Advertisement

yeah, if I had the time, getting to Denmark, and then an overnight Ferry up to Bergen would be a nice route, but time is against me on this one.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

I went to Norway last June but had 3 weeks to fit it into. I looked into shipping the bike and it was working out at over £1200 return with Aquatran (Newcastle, UK). Add flights on top of that and it gets pretty expensive. You could also try Alpi (in Parkwest) who I have used for bringing windows in from Denmark. There is a DFDS freight ferry going Imingham to Brevik (near Oslo) that takes cars/bikes depending on capacity. Unfortunately I think they may be dropping the car/bike traffic for the coming year. If you fancy riding I left Dublin on a Saturday morning to Hollyhead and on to Harwich, overnight ferry to Hook of Holland, motorway to Hirtschals in Denmark. Overnighted there and ferry to Kristiansand in the morning arriving before midday on Monday. I don’t think there are that many bike rental options in Norway either.
    Good info on ukgser http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/71865-Norway-Norway-Norway!
    I went up as far as the Lofotons and then back down the coast. Gods own country for a bike (but bring good waterproofs and keep an eye out for the heat.)

....got a quote for over & back for the bike: £1600, so tbh it's a non-runner. Have been talking to motorcyclist over there too (bike journalist) and she said rent one in Sweden...............dang.
    Even car hire is nuts over there.

Ode To The Motorist

Anytime you reach for your wallet in Norway its nuts - €20 for ‘a round’ comprising a pint and a cup of coffee in a modest Stavanger pub. I had a fantastic time there but have deliberately not toted up my spending to avoid a bout of PTSD.

....remind me why I picked Norway again........ ??

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Beautiful scenery, beautiful city (Oslo), beautiful women.... but yeah, my breakfast of coffee and a snickers cost about €8! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Went to a Pizza Restaurant for a few Pizza's and beer one evening in Tonsberg, I think the bill for 4 was around €200 Lol. Good times.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You pick Norway to do the most epic routes in the world.

Wrong side of Norway, but you could start a conversation with these guys
    http://www.monsterbike.no/mc-utleie-481.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 Rourkey85

Contact a freight forwarding company like IPS and they will ship it. Bike will have to be crated which may be a pain

http://www.eurobiketrans.co.uk/norwegian-motorcycle-transport/
    No pricing on the web site other then 'contact us'.

Weekly service Manchester to Oslo.
    Ferry to Manchester the week before shipping and fly home. Reverse procedure on the way home. Should be cheap enough if booked early. Hopefully it will work out for you.

Advertisement