Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling (or any exercising) when sick....

Options
  • 03-01-2017 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Read this this morning and it got me thinking, as I've started the new year with a sore/throat and heavy cold.
    http://thecyclingblog.com/will-this-make-me-stronger/

I've always been of the opinion that training when not feeling good (as in actually being ill or properly run down, not just a wee bit tired) is counterproductive and does more harm than good. I think we are our own best doctors and our body knows itself better than anyone else and should be listened to.
    I'd also suffer with sinuses and tend to take a while to get fully right after colds. So I dont see myself cycling for the first week of the new year anyway.
    What are other's opinions on this one?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've been congested and phlegmy for the past six weeks, and while it put me off cycling for awhile, I reckon not getting out cycling was doing more harm than good so went back out and feel better for it. FWIW, in addition to all the usual winter gear, I also wear a Gore neck warmer which is great. Many people, myself included, tend to work through a head cold but avoid going out if its in the chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

I picked up a bit if man flu on the run up to Christmas and stayed off the bike . Got 4 spins in between Stephen's days and new years eve. Was coming back from a wedding yesterday so planned on going out today. Got a right dose of shivers , coughing and aches and pains last night, burnt up in bed.... hoping to get out on Sat and Sunday, I always tend to listen to my body. Just back from chemist and going to zapp this bastard man flu. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

smacl wrote: »
    I've been congested and phlegmy for the past six weeks, and while it put me off cycling for awhile, I reckon not getting out cycling was doing more harm than good so went back out and feel better for it. FWIW, in addition to all the usual winter gear, I also wear a Gore neck warmer which is great. Many people, myself included, tend to work through a head cold but avoid going out if its in the chest.

Love an oul neck warmer, have used them for years cycling and motorbiking.
    The warm breath you create under them is fantastic for a bit of heat!
    I think with the head cold it tends to be down to the severity and if its part of a cold/bug combo, as to whether its ok to go out with one.
    Deffo not worth going out with a chest infection.

Deedsie wrote: »
    From my point of view, better to focus on being well rested, eat good healthy food and get the fluids into you.

Man Flu Cure

1. Boil water in kettle.
    2. Pour about 1/3 pint of orange juice into a pint glass.
    3. Place metallic table spoon in pint glass (to absorb the heat and stop glass possibly shattering).
    4. Add hot water to pint glass as desired.
    5. Add 1 Berocca tablet.
    6. Add 1 lemsip sachet.
    7. Add honey for sore throat (to taste).
    8. Add dash of whiskey (optional for non drinkers).

This concoction will literally boil and bubble when you add the Berocca, which makes it look the business. It doesn't just have the looks though, it packs a punch and will get you back on your feet.

That always gives me a lift when feeling run down. I think I got the recipe on boards actually.

I hate berocca and find lemsip sends me mind flying especially when sleeping, so I only use that if I am absolutely hanging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

From my point of view, better to focus on being well rested, eat good healthy food and get the fluids into you.

Man Flu Cure

1. Boil water in kettle.
    2. Pour about 1/3 pint of orange juice into a pint glass.
    3. Place metallic table spoon in pint glass (to absorb the heat and stop glass possibly shattering).
    4. Add hot water to pint glass as desired.
    5. Add 1 Berocca tablet.
    6. Add 1 lemsip sachet.
    7. Add honey for sore throat (to taste).
    8. Add dash of whiskey (optional for non drinkers).

This concoction will literally boil and bubble when you add the Berocca, which makes it look the business. It doesn't just have the looks though, it packs a punch and will get you back on your feet.

That always gives me a lift when feeling run down. I think I got the recipe on boards actually.

Have 1000 mg vitamin C tablets, picked up honey and orange juice, plus the gear bought in the chemist , the attack is on ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Time and your own white cells will do the job just as well. The rest can just relieve some symptoms.

Sounds like you've picked up a few recipes from the Brother ;)
    Then I meet a pal of mine that’s a doctor. This is inside the hotel. There’s only one man for you, he says, and that’s sleep. Will you go home and go to bed if I get you something that’ll make you sleep? Certainly, I said. I suppose this was about four or half four. Very well, says he, I’ll write you out a prescription. He writes one out on hotel notepaper. I send for a porter. Go across with this, says I, to the nearest chemist shop and get this stuff for me and here’s two bob for yourself. Of course I’m at the whiskey all the time. Your man comes back with a box of long-shaped green pills. You’ll want to be careful with that stuff, the doctor says, that stuff’s very dangerous. If you take one now and take another when you get home, you’ll get a very good sleep but don’t take any more till to-morrow night because that stuff’s very dangerous. So I take one. But I know the doctor doesn’t know how bad I am. I didn’t tell him the whole story, no damn fear. So out with me to the jax where I take another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Usual rule of thumb is above the neck (head cold) no problem, below the neck (chesty) take a break.

But with a virus, rest is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Yeah, a cycle will clear blocked sinuses, but if it's in your chest, I'd stay home.

Incidentally, I find Lysine-L great for viruses, if they're not the Cujo kind of viruses. If taken in time it'll kill cold sores instantly without mercy, and relieve that kind of dozy fevery feeling when a virus is thinking of moving in.

Chuchote wrote:
    Incidentally, I find Lysine-L great for viruses, if they're not the Cujo kind of viruses. If taken in time it'll kill cold sores instantly without mercy, and relieve that kind of dozy fevery feeling when a virus is thinking of moving in.

Lysine supplements? I think there is usually enough in a balanced, healthy diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I don't cycle only a few advanced spinning classes during the week and a couple of hitt classes...sinuses and chest were at me a couple of we before xmas and add being very busy work wise I didn't look after myself...taught I could sweat it out of me...felt ok doing the workouts but in the long run it made things worse and I got a very bad chest infection over the Christmas along with bad sinusitis....I should have pulled back for a week or two ...well lesson learned still only getting right this week...first spin class in nearly 3 weeks tomorrow...

First Up wrote: »
    Lysine supplements? I think there is usually enough in a balanced, healthy diet.

Probably, but it's a magic weapon against minor viruses, in my experience anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

secman wrote: »
    I picked up a bit if man flu on the run up to Christmas and stayed off the bike . Got 4 spins in between Stephen's days and new years eve. Was coming back from a wedding yesterday so planned on going out today. Got a right dose of shivers , coughing and aches and pains last night, burnt up in bed.... hoping to get out on Sat and Sunday, I always tend to listen to my body. Just back from chemist and going to zapp this bastard man flu. :)

The only thing that will zapp a flu is your immune system, and for that to work you need to take it easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Good advice so far, tons of vitamin c and lysine.

I haven't had a cold in two years, long story but catching them is pretty dangerous for me. If I feel anything coming on I drink tons of water and OD on vitamin C before waiting around to see if it's head/chest/nothing.

It's seemed to have worked so far. If you don't catch it on time and it's throat or chest, get into bed and get sleep and keep knocking back as much water as you can.

You also can't catch a cold being out in rain or cold, you have to come in contact with a virus or bacteria, which is difficult to avoid, but staying warm dry and hydrated makes it more difficult for a virus to take hold if you do come in contact with on, hence staying in bed or at home should mean a quicker recovery

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Danbo! wrote: »
    Good advice so far, tons of vitamin c and lysine.
    The majority of studies of non-athletic people, when looked at collectively, led researchers to conclude that vitamin C does not prevent or treat the common cold, but highly physically active people training in stressful conditions (e.g. soldiers training in the Arctic) may benefit from supplementation.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_C_and_the_common_cold

Purely anecdotal - it could also be the water or lysine, but like I said I haven't caught even a sniffle in 2 years. Even if they're all placebos, they work for me :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

A systematic review of vitamin C for cold-induced asthma found three relevant studies, all of which found benefits from the administration of vitamin C, either against asthma attacks or against bronchial hypersensitivity that is a characteristic of asthma

Ha! Take that, Ventolin!

Supplements can be dodgy if you overuse them - today's horror story:

http://en.rfi.fr/france/20170103-baby-dies-france-after-being-given-vitamin-d-supplement
    A 10-day-old baby has died in France after being administered a dose of a vitamin D supplement, which has been the subject of previous warnings by an official health watchdog.

The baby died of a cardiac arrest on 21 December, France's official medicines watchdog ANSM announced on Monday, confirming a report in Le Figaro newsaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

nah its a bad idea and usually prolongs sickness. rest is best untill symptom free.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Chuchote wrote: »
    Supplements can be dodgy if you overuse them - today's horror story:

http://en.rfi.fr/france/20170103-baby-dies-france-after-being-given-vitamin-d-supplement
    friends of mine had a horrible time with colic with their baby until the consultant suggested taking her off vit D supplements - seems that they're standard now for babies, but the consultant pointed out that the reason they were introduced was a higher rate of rickets in ireland, but shall we say as the kids parents are irish and scottish, the kid was not in the danger group for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

friends of mine had a horrible time with colic with their baby until the consultant suggested taking her off vit D supplements - seems that they're standard now for babies, but the consultant pointed out that the reason they were introduced was a higher rate of rickets in ireland, but shall we say as the kids parents are irish and scottish, the kid was not in the danger group for it.

That's interesting. But by the same token, I was coming down with one horrible chest and sinus infection after another and a natural-healthy friend told me to take Vitamin D3 and Vitamin C in high(ish) doses for a few days. Stopped the infection I had in its tracks and I stopped getting them constantly, though I did get knocked right over for weeks again the next time I came down. But I think that's partly a function of being nastily asthmatic, and probably partly also a function of using inhalers - because if you have a sore throat, using the inhaler is going to suck the grateful bugs down into your lungs and give them a nice warm cosy damp home to set up house in and have their raves.

A few years ago during the insanity that is Nanowrimo, I saw some of the insane saying that they had successfully cured themselves of colds by giving their novels' characters colds and curing them fictionally. Worth trying, anyway

I take a Berrocca each morning. I started because I was travelling a lot and wouldn't always get enough fruit in my diet. Its became a habit but I know the science is sceptical about the benefits. I'm pretty fit and in good health anyway.

I don't get many colds etc but I'm not immune either. I wonder if I should reserve them for when I feel something coming on? Maybe my system has gotten too used to them?

First Up wrote: »
    I take a Berrocca each morning. I started because I was travelling a lot and wouldn't always get enough fruit in my diet. Its became a habit but I know the science is sceptical about the benefits. I'm pretty fit and in good health anyway.

I don't get many colds etc but I'm not immune either. I wonder if I should reserve them for when I feel something coming on? Maybe my system has gotten too used to them?

Frequent use of vitamin c supplements can sometimes wreak havoc on the stomach. Personally I keep em for when I feel run down or something coming on and take a high dose for a couple of days to boost myself. I know the link above may say otherwise, but I personally find it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Big lump of grated fresh ginger and ground up cloves in boiling water to make a "tea". Strain it and add the juice of a lemon, juice of an orange and lots of honey.

Powerful stuff.

And of course you can always lash in a generous measure of whiskey. :)

My mom swears by echinacea too for colds and flu's.

Regards the exercise thing I generally err on the side of caution and rest, even though it doubles down on my bad form.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Big lump of grated fresh ginger and ground up cloves in boiling water to make a "tea". Strain it and add the juice of a lemon, juice of an orange and lots of honey.

Whatever about the medicinal effects, that sounds pretty tasty!

My sinuses are attempting secession from my immune system, as they do regularly, and I just remembered another folk cure that sometimes works well - kimchi. Just hit the Oriental Emporium in Rathmines for kimchi, wonton soup base and wontons, and put myself outside a big bowl of wonton soup with lashings of kimchi in the bottom of it. Burning now…

smacl wrote: »
    Whatever about the medicinal effects, that sounds pretty tasty!

My old man does a great homemade lemsip with ground ginger, its got a kick but deffo clears the head.
    The missus does a lovely tea with lemon peel and honey and a few other things too, its very palatable.

And in other news, Im sicker today than yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I can confirm today that, whatever about being sick, going out with a headache is a hiding to nothing. I managed about 7km. That's out and back so twas at the 3.5km mark that I'd had enough. The pounding in my head matched any bpm increases exponentially. Definitely not something I could "burn through" :(

• Advertisement

i'm hearing a hell of a lot more about flu/bad head colds/etc. this year than normal.

if you want to ask me - and you shouldn't - a good dose of a good whiskey will do you as much use as multivitamins.

Advertisement