Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling (or any exercising) when sick....

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

fat bloke wrote: »
    I can confirm today that, whatever about being sick, going out with a headache is a hiding to nothing.

Whereas other conditions, e.g. asthma, seem fine to cycle with. Given the correct medication of course... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

i'm hearing a hell of a lot more about flu/bad head colds/etc. this year than normal.

if you want to ask me - and you shouldn't - a good dose of a good whiskey will do you as much use as multivitamins.

I think the unseasonably mild weather has kept the bugs alive and well, tho Im no doctor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

smacl wrote: »
    Whereas other conditions, e.g. asthma, seem fine to cycle with. Given the correct medication of course... ;)

:D and the correct medication always follows the rule of bringing a gun to a knife fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

In the days when I used to drive out to the Forty Foot and swim every morning, sea swimmers swore that a swim in nice cold water would stop a head cold in its tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Chuchote wrote: »
    In the days when I used to drive out to the Forty Foot and swim every morning, sea swimmers swore that a swim in nice cold water would stop a head cold in its tracks.

I've certainly found that. The group where I go are mostly north of 50 and are a pretty healthy crew.

Whether it's the sea air, acute cold exposure or something else I don't know.

Acute stresses seem a good idea for optimal health; be they cold exposure, HIIT, fasting etc. Chronic stresses like a n a$$hole for a boss, poor sleep, poor diet seem to be more problematic.

You'll find some interesting stuff on google scholar on acute cold exposure/gut microbiota etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

On the other hand you need to know your risks; friend of friends was swimming when he was hit by a heart attack. At his funeral, all the old people were remembering how many people in his family had died of heart trouble… As far as he had known, he had no problems with his heart at all, but if he'd looked back in his family he could have discovered the flaw in his heart that killed him, poor man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Currently suffering from a very bad chest infection, I always seen to get a chest infection early in the year. This yr I planned on doing paris roubaix challenge and racing in my clubs road and mtb league. Depending on my recovery time, I'll be doing none of these. No shame in taking things nice and handy after a bout of illness. Plenty of tarmac in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Still trying to shift this man flu , probably needed an antibiotic but didn't get one. Have this almost 6 days now , missed work yesterday and today, unbelievable bouts of sweats. Had really hoped to get first ride of 2017 on Sat but unlikely now :(

Going ga ga looking at my new garmin toy :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

secman wrote: »
    Still trying to shift this man flu , probably needed an antibiotic but didn't get one. Have this almost 6 days now , missed work yesterday and today, unbelievable bouts of sweats. Had really hoped to get first ride of 2017 on Sat but unlikely now :(

Antibiotic won't stop the flu unfortunately.

First Up wrote: »
    Antibiotic won't stop the flu unfortunately.

Accept that, but I think I may have a chest infection judging by the gunk....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

went out this morning after stomach flu last week as i thought i was recovered however 20km into my spin i had no energy and bike felt like it weighed 100kg.....was lucky to make it home...more rest me thinks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Stop referring to flu as man flu.

Stop referring to flu as man flu.

Look, there's flu and then there is man flu, a much more serious strain all together. You've obviously never had man flu.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Look, there's flu and then there is man flu, a much more serious strain all together. You've obviously never had man flu.

Man flu is what woman refer to a man exagerating illness symptoms. Serious bro, do you even lift?

Man flu is what woman refer to a man exagerating illness symptoms. Serious bro, do you even lift?

Gangsta speak........I'm so scared handsome.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Gangsta speak........I'm so scared handsome.:)

And if you're not sure about the whole lifting thing, this might help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Doc07

smacl wrote: »
    And if you're not sure about the whole lifting thing, this might help ;)

Pure natty bra!

Advertisement