Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re: Senior Citizen car insurance

Options
  • 03-01-2017 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Advice sought, thanks for any input. My Dad (83) recently widowed, needs to renew his car insurance. The previous policy has always been in my late mother's name, and now he needs to renew.
    Any advice as to what he should do for the best? If he requests a policy in his own name, will he be penalised for not having been a policy owner previously?
    Will they even quote for what would be a "new" policy for someone of his age, 83?
    I'm thinking it might be easier to take out a new policy under a son or daughter's name, and keep him as a named driver?
    I'd like to get some advice before calling the companies directly, so that I know where any pitfalls may lie, if anyone has any info, or advice, or has been through anything similar, I'd love to hear about it.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Meemars wrote: »
    Advice sought, thanks for any input. My Dad (83) recently widowed, needs to renew his car insurance. The previous policy has always been in my late mother's name, and now he needs to renew.
    Any advice as to what he should do for the best? If he requests a policy in his own name, will he be penalised for not having been a policy owner previously?
    Will they even quote for what would be a "new" policy for someone of his age, 83?
    I'm thinking it might be easier to take out a new policy under a son or daughter's name, and keep him as a named driver?
    I'd like to get some advice before calling the companies directly, so that I know where any pitfalls may lie, if anyone has any info, or advice, or has been through anything similar, I'd love to hear about it.
    Thanks in advance

Condolences on your loss.

This is a pretty common thing tbh.

Most insurers should allow your dad to set up a new policy in his own name and they will allow him a full ncd entitlement. I presume he was named on your late mothers policy?

Just ring the existing insurer and outline the scenario, I'd be very surprised if they have any issue with setting up a policy for him.

Advertisement