Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post leaving parcel outside my door

Options
  • 03-01-2017 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I live in Dublin in a set of apartments that's just off a street. It's quiet, but by no means safe or hard to enter. It's like any other set of flats really. I don't know any of the other residents.

I came back after spending the week back home to see one of my parcel deliveries sitting outside my apartment door. I have no idea if it's been sitting there a week or a day.

It says more about the honesty of the people around me that it's still there, but any chancer could have picked it up and walked off if they wanted.

Usually when something isn't delivered, I get a slip in my mailbox and it gets put in the sorting office for picking up.

Has anyone else experienced this? This can't be An Post policy surely?

I'm waiting on a call back from their customer support, but thought i'd ask here first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Are you sure that it was An Post? Sounds more like a certain courier chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Coincidentally,I have just come off the phone from a courier company who have registered as dropping my parcel off in a safe place,I too live in an apartment and rang to find out where the safe place was,Outside the front door(external door) was the response I got,currently at work and wont be home for hours so trying to find someone now to go and get it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭cbreeze

You could check to see if anyone signed for it. In my experience An Post generally leave a note in the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

Time of year. Things slip.

Don't get faberge eggs, vintage Amiga computers or rare books delivered by standard courier or post. The rest od it's down to the retailer to make sure it gets to you. Gifts etc. likewise use a decent insured courier.

It's very possible it was delivered to someone and then they left it outside your door also so make sure to check that out.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It's also a security concern in that it might as well be putting a big flag on your front door saying "I'm away on holliers"

I've never had An Post do this, however I've experienced it quite frequently with a 'certain courier company' to the point that I now try and avoid retailers that use them to deliver parcels.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

I don't know who this courier you're all so secretly referring to is. What's up with that? You can't talk about a company?

It was dispatched using Royal Mail. They usually hand over to An Post, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Smyth wrote: »
    I don't know who this courier you're all so secretly referring to is. What's up with that? You can't talk about a company?

I personally have witnessed fastway dumping an asos package outside my door. Called after the guy asking him if he needed me to sign for anything and he said no. Haven't personally experienced that with dpd, ups, an post or FedEx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Not always, it will go with the cheapest option for Royal Mail so if they get a good rate from someone like GLS or Fastway etc they will go with them. what type of post label is on your parcels? is it an an post sticker?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

I know I don't live in Dublin, but it could be the Fastway crowd. Like up in Sligo here, they don't check to see whose who and just leave your packet on someone else's doorstep. I complained to them and like it's talking to the wall. Maybe check them out to see if they were involved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Boards is always legal conscious and as a CMod toots is holding back I would guess.

As a regular user I can tell you fastway are a shower of ***** that take the dregs of the driver pool. I'd put 100 on that they are who Toots is referring to.

The vast majority of the time parcels from RM will go to AP CourierPost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I'd had it with an post before- it was a book and postie left it behind a window box on the window next to the door - he hadn't reckoned on my springers curiosity which saw him knock the box down to get at the package - first I knew about it was the packaging strewn around d the drive when I got home.
    Also happened with an unknown courier with two dresses but a neighbour rescused them just in time - dog had managed to chew tags on one of the dresses in that instance. As the dresses weren't marked and I kept both I never followed up to see who had delivered them

Thanks for the info all. I will choose my courier wisely in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thanks for the info all. I will choose my courier wisely in the future!

Did you find out who delivered it?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

reading this forum at brekkie this morning. Go to leave the house. Cardboard box sitting at the door step in the rain. Box was sodden. Fastway again. Didn't bother to ring the door bell. Luckily the goods were in a separate package or they would have been destroyed.

Davy wrote: »
    Did you find out who delivered it?

I kept trying to ring an Post but couldn't get through. Haven't been able to get an email of them either. Lost the will to pursue it now.

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    reading this forum at brekkie this morning. Go to leave the house. Cardboard box sitting at the door step in the rain. Box was sodden. Fastway again. Didn't bother to ring the door bell. Luckily the goods were in a separate package or they would have been destroyed.

Eugh

There's no way to decide how it comes some ways either. Even if you did want to bypass Fastway. I ordered off Etsy and you just get the delivery that the sender decides on.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Bandage

This seems to be increasingly happening across the board with An Post and courier companies.

Advertisement