Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another massive increase in motor insurance?

Options
  • 03-01-2017 2:26pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Year before last I was paying €330pa for a 2009 A6 TDi. Last year up €100 for no reason apart from unintelligble guff from "Customer service" that Joan Burton would be proud of. Now up to €520 this year. No claims for at least 8 years. Car value decreasing all the time.

Why the increases? 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 163 Verified rep Liberty Insurance: Una

whiterebel wrote: »
    Year before last I was paying €330pa for a 2009 A6 TDi. Last year up €100 for no reason apart from unintelligble guff from "Customer service" that Joan Burton would be proud of. Now up to €520 this year. No claims for at least 8 years. Car value decreasing all the time.

Why the increases? 
    Hi whiterebel,
    Unfortunately the market in general is experiencing price increases due to a number of factors; mostly prices overall being too low compared to the cost of claims, increasing claims costs due to changes in court awards and increasing levies imposed on insurers.
    If you PM me your policy number I can take a look at your own policy details.
    Thanks
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't believe that excuse at all.
    I put it down to greed. Always greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

I don't believe that excuse at all.
    I put it down to greed. Always greed.
    Come on now, be fair, Im sure Una will publish some hard data to backup her company's Claim , or maybe I misunderstood ,  when she says ' increasing claims cost'  , she may be talking about the increased cost of the claims liberty is making in the press.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Got quotes this morning from 4 companies. Aviva and AXA roughly the same. 123 were 18% cheaper and liberty were 87% more expensive!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

whiterebel wrote: »

Why the increases? 
    Hi whiterebel,
    Unfortunately the market in general is experiencing price increases due to a number of factors; mostly prices overall being too low compared to the cost of claims, increasing claims costs due to changes in court awards and increasing levies imposed on insurers.
    If you PM me your policy number I can take a look at your own policy details.
    Thanks
    Una
    So, the main factors - 
    That I have not claimed in at least 8 years
    That the value of the car is decreased every year

Have absolutely no bearing on my insurance quote.
    What good would sending you my policy number do? I presume it would end up like last year with a 35% increase where I was ultimately told: "Tough".

• Advertisement
Advertisement