Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any thoughts on grinders? €300-€400 price range..

• 03-01-2017 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

I have a Gaggia MDF I'm thinking of upgrading from.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I think the Baratza Sette might be finally hitting Europe over the next month - it looks like some serious kit.

Seems to be running $350-400 in America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

J_E wrote: »
    I think the Baratza Sette might be finally hitting Europe over the next month - it looks like some serious kit.

Seems to be running $350-400 in America.

What's the chances of us getting it at that price? Doubtful I'd say. :-(

Looks very nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

I've been reading some bad feedback on it recently, worth checking out home barista forum.

Are you grinding for espresso or filter brew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

What's the chances of us getting it at that price? Doubtful I'd say. :-(

Looks very nice

€480 locally
    https://coffeeangel.com/shop/baratza-sette-270
    Will it beat Vario though ?

alec76 wrote: »
    €480 locally
    https://coffeeangel.com/shop/baratza-sette-270
    Will it beat Vario though ?

I'd be seriously shocked if it did, but worth asking Karl if they have looked them both, but Vario is really an espresso only grinder unless you swap out the serif burrs IMO. My understanding is the Sette will move between both without requiring considering run through of beans to realign the burrs. It my biggest gripe with the vario!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭arabica69

Hi Guys. Karl from Coffeeangel here... there's been a lot of buzz about the Sette grinders over the last 6 mos. I have had a very limited 'trade-show' play with both - though I would really have preferred a few days of testing. But the benefit of their belated arrival in Europe following the N. American launch is the wealth of reviews - which are nothing but glowing (I'm sure many of you will have already Googled these ;-)

That said, there's nothing like one's own hands-on experience - especially given the price point. So once the grinders have cleared EU customs and we have them safely in Dublin, we'll be giving those who are interested (and close to Dublin) an opportunity to road-test both the Sette 270 and 270W.

We're tentatively planning to hold this 'Sette Session' for Saturday the 4th of Feb in Coffeeangel HQ between 1000 and 1400 where you can get familiar with the features and pull a few shots or brew an Aeropress, V60, etc. I'll confirm both the date and times via social media if any of you are interested in coming. Best, K.

arabica69 wrote: »
    Hi Guys. Karl from Coffeeangel here... there's been a lot of buzz about the Sette grinders over the last 6 mos. I have had a very limited 'trade-show' play with both - though I would really have preferred a few days of testing. But the benefit of their belated arrival in Europe following the N. American launch is the wealth of reviews - which are nothing but glowing (I'm sure many of you will have already Googled these ;-)

That said, there's nothing like one's own hands-on experience - especially given the price point. So once the grinders have cleared EU customs and we have them safely in Dublin, we'll be giving those who are interested (and close to Dublin) an opportunity to road-test both the Sette 270 and 270W.

We're tentatively planning to hold this 'Sette Session' for Saturday the 4th of Feb in Coffeeangel HQ between 1000 and 1400 where you can get familiar with the features and pull a few shots or brew an Aeropress, V60, etc. I'll confirm both the date and times via social media if any of you are interested in coming. Best, K.

Amazing service as always. If you need a vario for comparison just shout :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hi Karl, I'd be interested in your own thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of this versus the Vario. I'm not in the market for a grinder myself, still happy with Vario almost 7 years after buying it!

How exciting! Would love to head to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

This just popped up on the home page so thought i'd ask a question, not trolling before anyone asks

I take it a grinder just grinds, doesn't do anything else, why so expensive?

I use one of these, http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9349755/Trail/searchtext%3ECOFFEE+GRINDER.htm, what extra does a machine costing 350+ more do?

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    This just popped up on the home page so thought i'd ask a question, not trolling before anyone asks

I take it a grinder just grinds, doesn't do anything else, why so expensive?

I use one of these, http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9349755/Trail/searchtext%3ECOFFEE+GRINDER.htm, what extra does a machine costing 350+ more do?

That's a blade grinder, it just mashes the beans by spinning a blade. You get a mix of coarse grinds and coffee dust - it might get you buy for filter/french press coffee, but for espresso the results are inconsistent and you don't get the full flavour of the coffee. With grinders like this you get a very accurate, consistent, and really speedy grind, and the difference in flavour is huge. Amazing richness when you get the right settings for your machine. It's so worth it for many of us who enjoy quality coffee every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Love the interior design of the new place (HQ). Best of luck with the expansion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

Wow, I'd love to go to this but I'm not around that day. Ah well, c'est la vie. :(. I have a Vario and I'm quite happy with it (sometimes struggles to go fine enough), but I do like the look of the Sette 270.

Wow, I'd love to go to this but I'm not around that day. Ah well, c'est la vie. :(. I have a Vario and I'm quite happy with it (sometimes struggles to go fine enough), but I do like the look of the Sette 270.[/quote]

I had a similar issue, you need to adjust the zero point on the grinder. I rarely need to move it into one on the right now. Take a bit of time and a decent run of beans. Baratza have a good guide on it, and there is coverage on YouTube also.

macken04 wrote: »
    I had a similar issue, you need to adjust the zero point on the grinder. I rarely need to move it into one on the right now. Take a bit of time and a decent run of beans. Baratza have a good guide on it, and there is coverage on YouTube also.

Cheers for that. I have already calibrated the grinder; any further and the burrs will stop... :D Pretty much every batch starts around 1-e, but descends towards 1-a as the beans age.

I'm currently contemplating new burrs, but I don't think it would help. It could be the beans or the roast (home-roasted Hasbean Kicker), but in any case, this is probably not the thread for it.

Dero wrote: »

Cheers for that. I have already calibrated the grinder; any further and the burrs will stop... :D Pretty much every batch starts around 1-e, but descends towards 1-a as the beans age.

I'm currently contemplating new burrs, but I don't think it would help. It could be the beans or the roast (home-roasted Hasbean Kicker), but in any case, this is probably not the thread for it.

Zero point is different to the calibration, you should only calibrate once the zero point is at the desired setting, that was my mistake. You basically set the zero point so the grinder has the correct range, then set the calibration.

Hmm, interesting. From a quick bit of reading, it seems finding the zero point is essentially what I did. This post is interesting though. I might give it a try again at some point to bring the "zero point" up a few more notches. It's currently around the middle of the fine adjustment (where most videos have it).

It sounds like you need to complety recalibrate it, just like me.

Get a bag of beans and set the zero point yoi have a full range. Then dial is in by sound, this is what I had to do. But it was key to start with everything dialled out. So both screws removed, and inserted back in based on Baratzas guide, you start from there with some fresh beans. I have my zero point as a filter corse grind, then only hit high 1's for something of a very light roast on espresso. Currently I used between 2 h and 2a. I was about to throw the grinder out before this as nothing was fine enough.

Get a bag of beans and set the zero point yoi have a full range. Then dial is in by sound, this is what I had to do. But it was key to start with everything dialled out. So both screws removed, and inserted back in based on Baratzas guide, you start from there with some fresh beans. I have my zero point as a filter corse grind, then only hit high 1's for something of a very light roast on espresso. Currently I used between 2 h and 2a. I was about to throw the grinder out before this as nothing was fine enough.

Not to germane to the thread per se, but I just wanted to thank macken04 for sending me in the right direction with this. I did a bit of research, and although I was calibrating the grinder correctly, I was setting the zero point way too fine. I was all set to do a primary calibration (removing the two screws and starting from scratch), but it turns out it wasn't necessary. I re-calibrated the zero point to 2-Q as recommended by Baratza, and the difference is night and day. :-)

I'm still dialling it in and fine-tuning it. However, with my usual coffee, I'm at 2-F, but I will end up further out than that even. This gives me an entire macro step of additional headroom, and makes coffee (and thus life) far better. ;)

Thanks again.

Dero wrote: »

Not to germane to the thread per se, but I just wanted to thank macken04 for sending me in the right direction with this. I did a bit of research, and although I was calibrating the grinder correctly, I was setting the zero point way too fine. I was all set to do a primary calibration (removing the two screws and starting from scratch), but it turns out it wasn't necessary. I re-calibrated the zero point to 2-Q as recommended by Baratza, and the difference is night and day. :-)

I'm still dialling it in and fine-tuning it. However, with my usual coffee, I'm at 2-F, but I will end up further out than that even. This gives me an entire macro step of additional headroom, and makes coffee (and thus life) far better. ;)

Thanks again.

Delighted it worked - so much pain for me. I must pass thanks up the line to Karl in Coffee Angle who put up with my nagging for many months. The guys in Baratza are excellent on customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Question for the experts. I understand there are different grinding mechanics. There are blades and they are obviously not very good. But once you have a burr grinder that grinds consistently and without heating the coffee up, what difference would there be between a €50 grinder and a €400 grinder? I have a Hario hand burr grinder and an electrical Krups burr grinder and yes the coffee seems to taste differently. I think the hand ground coffee is nicer, but why?

Question for the experts. I understand there are different grinding mechanics. There are blades and they are obviously not very good. But once you have a burr grinder that grinds consistently and without heating the coffee up, what difference would there be between a €50 grinder and a €400 grinder? I have a Hario hand burr grinder and an electrical Krups burr grinder and yes the coffee seems to taste differently. I think the hand ground coffee is nicer, but why?

For the home, it's all about the consistency and range. Better grinders will be more consistent and have a greater range. Espresso grinders tend to be more expensive as they have a huge range of adjustment, more powerful motor and stronger feature set.

It is actually easier for a grinder to be consistent when the grind is finer though. IMO, for the home if you are after filter, the Encore is the best option. The only grinder able to really do espresso for the home starts at about €400. So others can produce, but they do not have the range to grind lighter roasts for espresso.

To add - it's pointless IMO going for a grinder that will produce the same results faster. See a lot of home folk opting for more expensive grinders that are faster and quieter, at a huge premium, my Vario is like loud and can take 20 seconds to grind 18g's, but who cares really?? I'll save my 500 off euro and spend it elsewhere for the sake of 10 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

For the home, it's all about the consistency and range. Better grinders will be more consistent and have a greater range. Espresso grinders tend to be more expensive as they have a huge range of adjustment, more powerful motor and stronger feature set.

It is actually easier for a grinder to be consistent when the grind is finer though. IMO, for the home if you are after filter, the Encore is the best option. The only grinder able to really do espresso for the home starts at about €400. So others can produce, but they do not have the range to grind lighter roasts for espresso.

So the Krups one wouldn't really be able to do espresso fine?

I rarely do espresso btw. Mainly french press and if I do espresso I use my perculator.

Edit: Actually talking about it really made me want an espresso now, off to the kitchen it is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Hario hand grinders are excellent and a super way to get into home brewing. That said, they probably aren't ideal for espresso.

Just regarding affordable grinders, I've recently bought a Wilfa Svart grinder and have written a short review here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

So did anyone checkout the Sette in Coffee Angel yesterday? Report back would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

I have a Gaggia MDF I'm thinking of upgrading from.

I recently upgraded from a Gaggia mdf to a Mazzer Mini (http://www.mazzer.com/en/grinder-dosers/mini/), picked it up in perfect nick from Adverts for €260 (about €600+ new). Definitely a big improvement. There's a guy on adverts based in Greystones who has good offers going regularly, often with new burrs fitted. Keeping the Gaggia for courser grinds for french press coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

hmmm, now in the quandary, would have liked to have gone from my gaggia mdf - to a super jolly, but i'm liking the look of the 270w.... really liking...

Advertisement