Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 acre options

• 03-01-2017 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi, I'd really appreciate some input/advice...
    I have 4 acres of grassland - and for last 3 years I was letting neighbor use it for grazing cattle
    or bailing it, or whatever they wanted...and I wanted nothing in return except they maintained the roadside hedge - approx 50-70m long...this was a verbal agreement
    Year 1 - no problem - they did
    Year 2 & 3 - guess what...they didnt bother their backside
    I wouldnt know them that well, and as I dont live in the area at the minute, I dont see them...and they dont strike me as very approachable
    So as we enter year 4, I'm pee'd off & I am considering my options
    To be honest, I want the neighbour out, having been taken for granted for 2 years I dont fancy another year...
    we will eventually build on the land, and I want to keep relationship as "friendly" as possible...
    however I also want to keep the grass short/maintained...so I am considering getting some animals to put on it
    I think at some point i will have to get something to eat the grass, when we move in i dont like the idea of the farmer accessing around the site...so there will be 3 acres plus of grass to be shortened
    A family member is a part time farmer, however his farm is not close enough for him to use the land...he would be available to assist me thou
    any advice on suitable animals and any other problems/obstacles i may have?
    there is a water source in field, the biggest challenge is likely fencing, and providing some shelter?
    I'd like something low enough maintenance, that's not going to provide much hassle or cost me a small fortune...why didnt he just cut the hedge?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 hardtrier

Why didn't you cut the hedge yourself? Or cut it now? Surely you can still do as you wish with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Arddon

I didn't cut it myself as the "agreement" for farmer using field was that he maintained the hedge...in year 2 I got it cut, at a cost, as he did not...
    Year 3 has just passed and its the same story...I have a guy lined up to cut it at my cost
    Year 4 - I want to put something in the field to eat grass & I will maintain hedge - farmer removed from equation - any suggestions for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

I'd be putting something in quickly to stop him establishing rights sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Sheep. Perfect for keeping the grass short. However nightmare to keep in the field

Bigus, at what stage might they establish rights & on what grounds?

Unattendedbag, yeah I've heard sheep are hard to contain! that aside, do they require much else in terms of maintenance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 hardtrier

Goats are the obvious option. There are breeds that are less inclined to roam than others, it seems. Maintenance, I'm told is a copper injection at the end of the month if not fed small amounts of nuts, for example, daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Arddon wrote: »
    ...why didnt he just cut the hedge?!

Why don't you ask him?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

yeah I could, possibly will - that aside, I think I probably want to put something in field now that I have control over...I will hopefully start on site works this year and it means I am "in control"...I will then also look after hedge...
    In terms of animals I'm thinking either goats, sheep or donkeys?
    any ideas on which of these are easiest fenced & maintained?
    goats likely need quite a high secure fence?
    Can donkeys just be electric fenced in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭DX85

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The first year you cut it did you ask him to cut it? Hedges don't need to be cut every year.

Anyway sheep are easier to contain than goats. Sheep find gaps goats create them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Inchilad

Goats are bit of a nightmare.if you fence the perimeter with sheep wire and et some lowland sheep they're great for keeping the grass manageable.will need a worm dose every now and again.not much else.donkeys can be kept in with electric fence if they are trained to it.they usually are.

The more I read into it, the more I'm thinking sheep or donkeys...goats appear to be a nightmare to contain!
    The perimeter of the field is 420m approx. One length of the field has a stream with a high fence on other side (so NOTHING can get in to the adjoining field) - would this side of field need to be fenced?
    Any ideas what this would cost to sheepfence & would it require a contractor or is it something I could do myself with some help
    After that is there anything else required for sheep?
    I understand donkeys would need some shelter & concrete for their feet - are sheep likewise?
    In terms of numbers, 8 sheep or 2 donkeys?
    Regarding the hedge, lets forget about it! It will be cut by mise from now on
    Cheers for replies thus far.

Arddon wrote:
    The more I read into it, the more I'm thinking sheep or donkeys...goats appear to be a nightmare to contain! The perimeter of the field is 420m approx. One length of the field has a stream with a high fence on other side (so NOTHING can get in to the adjoining field) - would this side of field need to be fenced? Any ideas what this would cost to sheepfence & would it require a contractor or is it something I could do myself with some help After that is there anything else required for sheep? I understand donkeys would need some shelter & concrete for their feet - are sheep likewise? In terms of numbers, 8 sheep or 2 donkeys? Regarding the hedge, lets forget about it! It will be cut by mise from now on Cheers for replies thus far.

Probably get away without fencing other side of river.be a water source for animals if it's accessible.its easy enough to put up sheep wire.the wire for that length would be from 260 to 400 depending on the wire quality.another few hundred for stakes.contractor would be approx 2k.donkeys do need some hoof care and like a shelter.you could fence the place for donkeys for a few hundred.its kinda what ever animal you'd be more comfortable with really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

Hi,I was in the exact situation you are.four acres and wanted control over my land.I did the sheep thing,,,nightmare,,,going walkabout and the cost of spraying them was a disaster.also their feet are a pain and need upkeep.did the breeding mare thing, , ,,low maintenance but again u need to know what ure doing at birth time...dry stock were simple,bought in in spring,gone in october,little maintenance and no need for concrete.handling is the only problem for u maybe.....have three donkeys there now and absolutely no bother with them.hooves every two months and thats pretty much it.you need a bit of shelter for them alright though.without a doubt the most pleasant farm animal there is if treated right.hope this helps

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.
    In terms of keeping the donkeys, as they seem like the "easiest": what sort of fencing have you got, somebody else here mentioned you could use electric if they were trained to it? also, can you advise on the hooves - is it costly or do you do it yourself? do you need a concrete plinth next to shelter?

FYI for donkeys you should look at http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalwelfare/registrationofpremisesanimals/registrationofhorsepremises/

I wouldn't do any work on donkeys on your own, they're strong and cranky animals

Excuse my ignorance but why not just let the grass grow and get it cut twice during summer. The hay could be left on the field giving nutrients to the soil.

That is what I intend to do with my 12 acres. Wanting to know if I am missing something?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

If i was you i wouldnt bother with any animals. All you`ll do is create another problem as you`re just putting more responsibility on yourself.
    Irregardles of what animal(s) you get, you`ll have to fence the field, bring meal, check them, vet costs,build a shelter etc etc.
    To be blunt if you were willing to hand the field off to a random lad at no cost i dont get the impression you`re looking for that kind of agro.

Best bet would be to source a mower and tractor from somewhere, either your part time farmer family member and cut it or get him to cut it or hire a contractor to do it.
    If its topped with a tractor mower and/or bailed a couple of times over the summer it`ll be adequate to keep the grass in check. You wont have a snooker table surface but you wont have a field of briars either.

80sDiesel wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance but why not just let the grass grow and get it cut twice during summer. The hay could be left on the field giving nutrients to the soil.

80sDiesel wrote:
    That is what I intend to do with my 12 acres. Wanting to know if I am missing something?

We'll I suppose the fact that it's on the smallholding thread would indicate the kind of responses you'd get.animals would usually be associated with a small holding.if it was on the farming and forestry thread I'd guess he'd be told something a bit different!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

You might consider getting a Pair of Donkeys from the Donkey Sanctuary in Cork. They usually arrive fully manicured , dosed , healthy & can be very docile if one is lucky.Easy to train them to the Electric Fence . They need some kind of shelter from rain etc.I have seen lads build shelters with Logs covered with heavy tarapulin in an A Shape stood into the earth using a JCB.One avoids the cost of buying stock etc as the Sanctuary Lends the Donkeys as long as one takes care of them.Im presuming theres no Deprtment Testing, Tagging , Registering etc as with cattle & its a good cause .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Bigus wrote: »
    I'd be putting something in quickly to stop him establishing rights sooner rather than later.

This slipped past without much attention, what rights can someone establish over your land and how long would it take before someone could establish rights.

I am asking because I have allowed someone use my land for a number of years without charging rent.

Thanks in advance.

Track9 wrote: »
    .Im presuming theres no Deprtment Testing, Tagging , Registering etc as with cattle & its a good cause .

see my link above

This slipped past without much attention, what rights can someone establish over your land and how long would it take before someone could establish rights.

I am asking because I have allowed someone use my land for a number of years without charging rent.

Thanks in advance.

As Fries has said, can Bigus come back on this "squatters rights" please - this is potentially HUGE!!

On cutting/bales - this may well be the best option until the house is built...as you have correctly pointed out, I want as little hassle as possible - thank you!
    The farmer baled it the first year and took 30 bales off it.
    What will it cost to get somebody in to do this?
    And afterwards, sell them - could you actually make a little money here?!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Cut , Bale Wrap & Supply Plastic costs circa 12-14 euro per bale .Expect to sell bales for circa 20 -25 e per bale. ( note have not incl any costs related to purchase fertiliser & spread ) Again might do a deal with the one contractor who might also buy the bales for the difference in costs . That way you have no work or costs , just supply the land .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

I have a similar issue. I just get a local farmer to cut and bail it twice a year. No money changes hands. Suits me.

Advertisement