Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long does it take for a cheque to clear?

Options
  • 03-01-2017 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

[font=Arial, sans-serif]How long does it take for a cheque to clear? lodged an AIB cheque in bank of ireland account on 23rd December , the funds are displayed but i cant withdraw?[/font]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Good Afternoon Video, 

Thank you for your post here today. 

A domestic cheque like this can take up to 5 working days to clear onto an account. As there were additional bank holidays and non working days over the Christmas and New Year period this would have impacted the date of clearing. As you've mentioned that the cheque was lodged on the 23rd, it should be cleared to your account by the 5th of January. Once fully cleared, the amount will show in your available funds on 365Online. 

I hope this helps and if you need anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again. 

Elaine

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

yeah , it's still not cleared?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Video wrote: »
    Hi Video,

Would you know if the cheque was lodged within branch opening hours on the 23rd? 

Thanks
    Tara O

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Hi Video,

Would you know if the cheque was lodged within branch opening hours on the 23rd? 

Thanks
    Tara O
    Maybe an hour after closing on the 23rd? does that mean it will take longer? i dont understand why it lists the funds in my balance but wont let me take them

Hi Video,

Thanks
    Tara O
    Maybe an hour after closing on the 23rd? does that mean it will take longer? i dont understand why it lists the funds in my balance but wont let me take them
    Hi Video,

It will clear tonight and be available to use the funds tomorrow. When a cheque is lodged it is posted to the account but the funds will be unavailable until the cheque has gone through the clearing process. If it's a regular payment have you considered asking for this by electronic transfer? Electronic transfers between EU banks take one business day to be received and are applied as cleared funds to your account.

Thanks
    Tara O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 User345

I also have this issue, I lodged a cheque an hour after desk closing hours on he 23rd but a woman lodged it manually for me. The funds have been appearing on 365 since the 24th but they are still not available? When will the funds be cleared ? It was a cheque drawn in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi User345,

Thanks for your post here on Boards.

Cheques would take 3-5 working days depending on what bank it is drawn on. Any non-BOI cheque will take 5 working days to clear and BOI cheques take 3 working days to clear.

Please allow the above timeframe excluding any bank holidays.

Thanks,

Kareana

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Cocobean1

Hello

If a cheque hasn't cleared by the fifth working day does it mean there is something wrong or will it be cleared by the 6th working day? The cheque was lodged Tuesday morning still not cleared today.

Hi Cocobean1,

Thanks for contacting us here.

A cheque would clear after close of business on the fifth day and funds would be available the day after that.

Thanks
    Tara

Advertisement