Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roomba or equivalent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Moreilly wrote: »
    i got the first gen from gearbest last week, there was a adaptor taped to the outside of the box to convert the two pin plug in the box to normal 3 pin. I ordered from the fast-23 warehouse which is in europe, so customs charge avoided :)

Great to hear that warehouse is in EU as I ordered from gearbest roborock S50 for 356 plus 4 for DHL , thanks to folks on this thread.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I pulled the trigger on this. Great rating on Wirecutter. Happy with the price <200e

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

lordgoat wrote: »
    I pulled the trigger on this. Great rating on Wirecutter. Happy with the price <200e

I did the same thing :P Couldn't pass it up given the reviews!

Due to arrive next week :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

S50 Roborock handled dog hair well. Bernese sheds quite a lot given the coat and even with fairly short spells in the kitchen. I sent it out after himself had been in. I mostly use it on max now.

I've integrated with Google Home. Was tempted to call it Bosco. How about HAL? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

im waiting on arrival of my 1st gen xiaomi vacuum, how do you set it up to work with google home?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

im waiting on arrival of my 1st gen xiaomi vacuum, how do you set it up to work with google home?

From searching it seemed to be a bit cumbersome in the past. Now, it's more straightforward. You can set up a new device in your GH settings and then link it to Mi Home. Set up device > Works with Google > type in Mi Home and link it from there. Have your passwords handy.

great stuff, yeah from googling,it seemed way more complicated than that, thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

S50 Roborock handled dog hair well. Bernese sheds quite a lot given the coat and even with fairly short spells in the kitchen. I sent it out after himself had been in. I mostly use it on max now.

I've integrated with Google Home. Was tempted to call it Bosco. How about HAL? :pac:

That be cool if you could upload different voice packs: HAL telling you he will not clean up your living room ;). I think I would go for a voice pack from Portal - that would be amazing.

MAJJ wrote: »
    Great to hear that warehouse is in EU as I ordered from gearbest roborock S50 for 356 plus 4 for DHL , thanks to folks on this thread.

My first order with gearbest. Ordered Thur, chose "fast warehouse" and expedited shipping. Today no sign of shipping, raised ticket and was told estimate to ship on 30 Nov. So reckon no stock in EU and on a slowboat from China. Price was good, hope not too good!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My first order with gearbest. Ordered Thur, chose "fast warehouse" and expedited shipping. Today no sign of shipping, raised ticket and was told estimate to ship on 30 Nov. So reckon no stock in EU and on a slowboat from China. Price was good, hope not too good!

I checked about 2 minutes after you posted that you bought 1, none available in EU any more since then :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

A warning for all..

I had a lovely iRobot 800 series around 800 dollars. Worked fine.

It was programmed to start each day and I never had an issue until......

One night doggie wasn't feeling too well. I let him out before bedtime. He obviously woke during the night unbeknowns to me and had a large "accident" of the not solid type. iRobot starts up does its thing. Let me tell you, it took weeks to get the stains out of the carpets and the hardwood floors, not to mention the smell.

Unfortunately, the iRobot is not equipped to handle water washing off the connectors and they rusted. Now I have a lovely almost new iRobot sitting on the bench in the Rubbish room as customer service wanted to sell me a complete new body price 400 bucks.....thanks but no thanks.... bought a vacuum cleaner for 300 bucks and this does the job perfectly and I can see if there has been an "accident" (which thankfully there has not been since).

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

NSAman wrote: »
    A warning for all..

I had a lovely iRobot 800 series around 800 dollars. Worked fine.

It was programmed to start each day and I never had an issue until......

One night doggie wasn't feeling too well. I let him out before bedtime. He obviously woke during the night unbeknowns to me and had a large "accident" of the not solid type. iRobot starts up does its thing. Let me tell you, it took weeks to get the stains out of the carpets and the hardwood floors, not to mention the smell.

Unfortunately, the iRobot is not equipped to handle water washing off the connectors and they rusted. Now I have a lovely almost new iRobot sitting on the bench in the Rubbish room as customer service wanted to sell me a complete new body price 400 bucks.....thanks but no thanks.... bought a vacuum cleaner for 300 bucks and this does the job perfectly and I can see if there has been an "accident" (which thankfully there has not been since).

Sh!t happens :eek:

joking aside, ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Alright lads. Bit of an odd one. Ordered a Xiaomi Roborock S512 from Amazon a few days ago. Another friend was looking for it but when I went looking it looks like they don't list it anymore. But now in my orders section when I click into the link there it brings me to the S501 model. As far as I can tell the only difference is the rose trim but is that correct? Is there any other differences? When I google it I get the same issue. The first result is the Amazon link but when you go in it shows the S501.

No idea, tbh. Never even heard of the rose gold. On the box of mine (not the UPS box) it says product model S502-00. Same on the base of the device itself.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Alright lads. Bit of an odd one. Ordered a Xiaomi Roborock S512 from Amazon a few days ago. Another friend was looking for it but when I went looking it looks like they don't list it anymore. But now in my orders section when I click into the link there it brings me to the S501 model. As far as I can tell the only difference is the rose trim but is that correct? Is there any other differences? When I google it I get the same issue. The first result is the Amazon link but when you go in it shows the S501.

Yea, I have seen somehere that colour (official photos I think) https://slickdeals.net/f/12155221-xiaomi-roborock-s51-smart-robot-vacuum-cleaner-rose-gold-350-more-free-s-h

- I'd say theres no white ones so you are getting this one instead: same functions. Not a massive drama I'd say. It would be an issue if that was a phone as I wouldnt want to rock a rose coloured phone with me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭woidoi

Neato Robotics Botvac D5 Connected Wi-Fi Navigating Robot Vacuum down to £299 Deal of the Day.
    Camel cubed says it's the lowest its ever been.
    Great deal in my opinion.
    If I hadn't got a Neato already I would have bought it.
    Great machine!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neato-Robotics-Botvac-Connected-Navigating/dp/B01KV1C1D6?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_PC_47c91a5d_NA&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Stil no sign of shipping from gearbest, they are blaming the manufacturer. I won't order from them again, they offer stock not available despite saying it is, they offer and charge for fictional expedited shipping, best avoided.

Ordered the xiaomi version 1 from GearBest on 23rd Nov, dhl have it since 28th and no updating tracking since last Friday :(

First mystery with the Roborock. Was away last Friday eve and wanted it set it going remotely. It wouldn't connect for some reason, I had left it on the dock (plugged in) and all that. Dunno.

I have used to the mop feature (not extensively) and it works well.

First mystery with the Roborock. Was away last Friday eve and wanted it set it going remotely. It wouldn't connect for some reason, I had left it on the dock (plugged in) and all that. Dunno.

I have used to the mop feature (not extensively) and it works well.

We only had it when someone has switched off the socked where the docking base is plugged in. He turns himself off and needs to be manually switched off.

Perhaps you had a power outage of some sort?

Otherwise no issues: well apart from the carpet that has a confusing pattern

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Eufy has been cleaning like a hero for the last week. Best purchase in ages. Great clearance and the only thing that slows him down is Mrs LG's hair...

Stil no sign of shipping from gearbest, they are blaming the manufacturer. I won't order from them again, they offer stock not available despite saying it is, they offer and charge for fictional expedited shipping, best avoided.

For anyone else who has ordered a roborock from gearbest my order from 23rd Nov has shipped from Czech republic warehouse last night. Cheers folks

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

Ordered on black Friday from gearbest CZ and had about a week of sorting out the address with them. Took best part of two weeks to arrive after that.
    Got the xiaomi version 1 and set it up over the weekend.
    Pretty impressive, little advice, if you are buying one then get the virtual wall tape also. Handy to stop it falling down the stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

boosabum wrote: »
    Ordered on black Friday from gearbest CZ and had about a week of sorting out the address with them. Took best part of two weeks to arrive after that.
    Got the xiaomi version 1 and set it up over the weekend.
    Pretty impressive, little advice, if you are buying one then get the virtual wall tape also. Handy to stop it falling down the stairs

they should have anti drop built in anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭boosabum

i'll need to double check that, it was attempting to moving down the landing and i had a battle to beat it back :)

boosabum wrote: »
    i'll need to double check that, it was attempting to moving down the landing and i had a battle to beat it back :)

My roborock arrived today, it's bigger than expected. The S50 has anti drop/cliff sensors. Haven't used it yet.

My roborock arrived today, it's bigger than expected. The S50 has anti drop/cliff sensors. Haven't used it yet.

Been using mine and am hugely impressed. It does a great job, app works very well also. Checked at top of stairs and it sensors worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Question on the Robovac 30C for those of you that have it. How good is it at navigating between rooms? I understand it's a "bump and run" type of navigation so how does it know it's finished one room before moving on to the next... and the next... etc. I'm thinking of this for downstairs and basically it would need to cover a large kitchen/dining/sunroom, utility room, hall, living room, office, small bathroom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Frank Castle

Bacchus wrote: »
    Question on the Robovac 30C for those of you that have it. How good is it at navigating between rooms? I understand it's a "bump and run" type of navigation so how does it know it's finished one room before moving on to the next... and the next... etc. I'm thinking of this for downstairs and basically it would need to cover a large kitchen/dining/sunroom, utility room, hall, living room, office, small bathroom.

It doesn't actually know when it has finished a room, it is just bump and run. But from watching it, it does cover pretty much everywhere, sometimes only doing part of a room before moving into the next (as it happens to line up with passing through the door). But if you let it run it will cover all the rooms in its own time. Mine has no issue with covering kitchen, sitting room, hall, & bathroom in one run downstairs. Having it run every day also helps to ensure all areas are covered incase it does miss that small part of the room.

Edge mode cleaning works very well too, it will clean tight to all edges (walls, units etc) and will complete a full circuit of your downstairs without missing an edge. I tend to run edge mode one day and auto mode the next. Keeps on top of things very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Does it (the Robovac 30C) find it's way back to the docking station automatically or do you have to dock it manually each evening after it's done its cycle?

Advertisement