Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roomba or equivalent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Roen wrote:
    Ordered the S50 on the strength of this thread. Landed in AddressPal last night so should be here in a few days. Used a Spanish shipper from AliExpress. Thanks for the steer.

Give us an update when it arrives, the only negative I have against this, is the size of the dust box, there is a cheaper model with large dust box but doesn't have the mapping function, will update with name when I find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Does anyone have the Roomba that has the camera on it for mapping out the floor? What are your thoughts on the data extraction it describes in the terms and conditions? I'm not sure I could live with detailed mapping of every room in my house being sold (unsecured) to the likes of IKEA so they can bombard me with adverts. Are there any "apple like" alternatives that respect your privacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Does anyone have the Roomba that has the camera on it for mapping out the floor? What are your thoughts on the data extraction it describes in the terms and conditions? I'm not sure I could live with detailed mapping of every room in my house being sold (unsecured) to the likes of IKEA so they can bombard me with adverts. Are there any "apple like" alternatives that respect your privacy?

I think you're being naive if you believe Apple isn't doing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Roen wrote: »
    Ordered the S50 on the strength of this thread. Landed in AddressPal last night so should be here in a few days. Used a Spanish shipper from AliExpress.
    Thanks for the steer.

Where did you buy it? Whats a good price to get it at

Xiaowa Plus E35 by Xiaomi seems good, has everything the S50 has bar the mapping function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Ordered the S50 yesterday afternoon from AliExpress. The German warehouse option wasn't available any more so I chose France. It was dispatched last night and showing from Germany. Cost was €360 and a few cents.

I'll update when I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

august12 wrote: »
    Xiaowa Plus E35 by Xiaomi seems good, has everything the S50 has bar the mapping function.

Pretty sure the E35 does have mapping however its gyro rather than LDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

I've just ordered S50 at Perfection Technology Ali store, paid $399 ( €353 with Revolut) , Czech warehouse,
    had 1st version of the Xiaomi robot working tirelessly every day for 2 years .Main brush motor after giving up, unfortunately.. Couldn't find spare motor with decent price ( only one offer for $45) so going for the second version instead.

Ush1 wrote:
    Pretty sure the E35 does have mapping however its gyro rather than LDS.

Yes, you are correct, I might purchase this, suction power is also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

august12 wrote: »
    Yes, you are correct, I might purchase this, suction power is also good.

Looking at the E20 myself, not sure the extra suction justifies the extra cost of the E35.

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    I think you're being naive if you believe Apple isn't doing the same thing.

Oh, of course, they definitely extract data and share it with 3rd parties. However, they aren't as beholden to the prediction imperative as a company like iRobot seem to be. The CEO of iRobot has had no qualms about being dismissive about their own customer's decision rights. I was wondering if the other "smart" vacuum companies are the same or at least espouse a more privacy-friendly policy.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Looking at the E20 myself, not sure the extra suction justifies the extra cost of the E35.
    Have you found a site to purchase, I'm only seeing geekbuying for the e35.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

ordered s50 on March 9th aliexpress Cz warehouse and arrived today
    currently charging.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The plans of almost every house in Ireland is available online so I don't know what data mining the layout of my house is going to benefit anyone, but if it means technology gets cheaper and easier accessible let them have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Shaunoc wrote: »
    ordered s50 on March 9th aliexpress Cz warehouse and arrived today
    currently charging.....

Ordered the same on the 8th from Aliexpress CZ as well. Mine didn't arrive yet. :(

Did you see any movement when trying to track your delivery? Mine still seems to be in the country of origin.

Clareman wrote: »
    The plans of almost every house in Ireland is available online so I don't know what data mining the layout of my house is going to benefit anyone, but if it means technology gets cheaper and easier accessible let them have it.

It maps the layout of your rooms, not your house. A basic example being it can detect if you have a cot in a room and therefore that you have a child (The inferences are actually much more sophisticated - even how you place your furniture is an indicator of something to advertisers).

Anyway, I wasn't trying to raise a debate on privacy, people are free to leak their personal life to algorithms if they wish. I was asking if there is an option available from a company that at least pretends to be interested in protecting its customers from data extraction.

Ordered the same on the 8th from Aliexpress CZ as well. Mine didn't arrive yet. :(

Did you see any movement when trying to track your delivery? Mine still seems to be in the country of origin.

no movement in the tracker last night even.
    just turned up with An Post this morning. surprise

What seller have you bought it from ?

Ok, thats what I was hoping. Never know it could be waiting for me at home this evening.

alec76 wrote: »
    What seller have you bought it from ?
    1st time using aliexpress but from this store
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/344208?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.790a6449lHSwic
    hopefully i gave u correct info.
    i used a link someone posted a couple of pages back in this thread

• Advertisement

Perfection technology, same as me .

alec76 wrote: »
    Perfection technology, same as me .

maybe I got yours :D
    it works great already

I've only ordered mine yesterday, so unlikely :)

Mine arrived today as well. Now to try and get it working.

Had its first run out. Very impressed. The amount of dust and dog hair it picked up was brilliant. Seemed to map the rooms out in a very logical manner. When finished, just went straight back to charging station.

Just can't get the Mi Home app to connect. My phone does the scanning but doesn't find it. Anyone else have that issue and how did you resolve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Had its first run out. Very impressed. The amount of dust and dog hair it picked up was brilliant. Seemed to map the rooms out in a very logical manner. When finished, just went straight back to charging station.

Just can't get the Mi Home app to connect. My phone does the scanning but doesn't find it. Anyone else have that issue and how did you resolve it?

Are you trying to connect it to Google Home? I had to change the language to Chinese to be able to do this!

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Are you trying to connect it to Google Home? I had to change the language to Chinese to be able to do this!

No, not using Google home, just the Mi home app. I'll try again in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Roborock S50 arrived yesterday and it's eating up the dust at the minute.
    Genuinely impressive.
    €375 with spares kit from AliExpress roborock gshopper Store. Spanish warehouse selected and shipped to AddressPal UK.
    Ordered on the 6th, arrived in the UK on the 12th. Landed in my house on the 15th.

I heart Roborock!

Got it working. Had to have location visible on my phone. I normally have it turned off on my phone.

• Advertisement

s50 - so far so great overall.
    downstairs floor is laminate flooring and a few rugs.
    it could not do a thick rug in one room.
    the mop feature is average imo - floor size is too big here and with 2 hairy dogs with grimy paws regularly. s50 doesnt beat a quick rub of the regular microfibre human powered mop.
    but it does capture their endless retriever hair supply very well, which is main reason for splashing out. Dogs gave up interest after a few minutes as long as it doesn't threaten their food supply, they could't care less.
    probably will set it to once in afternoon and once early morning (5am ish).
    Got stuck a couple of times, but learning in that for me. positioned hub more centrally and removed phone chargers from low sockets.

Brought it upstairs to all carpeted area and it did quite well (set on max power), did leave some stuff behind but it had been a while since it had been vacuumed properly before hand to lift the accumulated dust/hair etc... Had to free the main brush a few times in its first cleaning cycle upstairs. gets under furniture like a champ.
    will lift it upstairs now weekly.
    It left some pleasing Nazca lines - shame to trod on them :D

A 9/10 from me

Edit:
    the ability to set barriers to rooms/areas from the App is very useful.

Advertisement