Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roomba or equivalent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ordered the S50 yesterday afternoon from AliExpress. The German warehouse option wasn't available any more so I chose France. It was dispatched last night and showing from Germany. Cost was €360 and a few cents.

I'll update when I get it.

Just to update this. It arrived today and went for its first spin. Great yoke. I reckon I would have had it a day earlier if it wasn't for the Bank Holiday.

Ordered from France as I say but it was the same seller as the other orders here and was dispatched from Germany. Tracking didn't update until Sunday and then again last night to say it was in Portlaoise.

Reasonable price and dispatched and delivered in a week. Happy out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I just noticed today (yes I'm that stupid) that the quiet mode is the weakest setting, set it to max today when I was out and was amazed how much extra stuff was taken up, so I played with the extra settings in the app and have the different modes set for different times of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Is this the S50 model?

Ok, just read back through the threads and it's the S50 you have, is the dust box really small on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

august12 wrote:
    Ok, just read back through the threads and it's the S50 you have, is the dust box really small on this?

Its not big. However after couple of initial rounds, what it then captures daily is small and regular. So easy to empty it. I'm away for couple days and just checked it and it did all downstairs yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Entonces

Very tempted to pull the trigger on S50. Any ideas how it would manage if couches were moved once or twice a week to allow for cleaning under them? Would this confuse the mapping feature?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Entonces wrote: »
    Very tempted to pull the trigger on S50. Any ideas how it would manage if couches were moved once or twice a week to allow for cleaning under them? Would this confuse the mapping feature?

Nope, did that first day, not a bother. Copes very well with moving furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Jofspring

It seems to be mapping every time it goes out so it will just judge by what's in front of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Seems to remap every time it leaves the dock. I've move it between floors the whole time.

Only issue is that after each floor you need to dock it again before restarting, otherwise it gets confused mapping new floor on top of previous floor, and goes in circles

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It maps the whole time for me, goes to the edge of every room and then does the middle back and forth, not hassle moving chairs or anything like that. Normally for upstairs I'll pause it when it's returning to base and carry it upstairs and it does the job no problem, it even worked around 1 of the bedrooms where a quilt was thrown of the floor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I thought mine (S50) had a burnt type smell coming from it, like when a hair dryer has hair caught in it. That nasty toxic stink. Looked at the brush and untangled some stuff. I did also wonder if the motor was struggling a little at times, but it could have been max mode going at full tilt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Entonces

Thanks for feedback I'll probably join the club next payday then. Sounds like the answer to all my floor cleaning woes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

alec76 wrote: »
    I've just ordered S50 at Perfection Technology Ali store, paid $399 ( €353 with Revolut) , Czech warehouse,
    had 1st version of the Xiaomi robot working tirelessly every day for 2 years .Main brush motor after giving up, unfortunately.. Couldn't find spare motor with decent price ( only one offer for $45) so going for the second version instead.
    Mine arived today , found and ordered spare motor too (€13.60 delivered)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mine arived today , found and ordered spare motor too (€13.60 delivered)

Re the motor...one of these sort of yolks?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Engine-Ventilator-Fan-Motor-Vacuum-module-for-Xiaomi-Vacuum-Cleaner-Roborock-S50-S51-S53-Repair/32974572381.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-Robot-Vacuum-cleaner-Spare-Parts-Fan-for-XIAOMI-Roborock-S50-S51/32972859370.html

Mine's still got a bit of a toxic smell and just doesn't sound healthy. I gave it a good clean overall. I was thinking of doing a video of it and sending this to the support email.

Nope , one above would be the "Nidec" fan which creates suction up to 2000 Pa.

I was looking for the main brush motor ,
    Standard Motor ® PR 390-st.
    https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/DwkVuo6

Thanks alec.

I made a video and sent it to Roborock. They responded over night, to be fair.
    Hi TBO,
    We are sorry for the trouble you are facing.
    We guess something may enter the fan unexpectedly.
    You could refer to video in link to see if it could solve the issue.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=17mOVnVn7aNj_k2IRSDsfvd5WwSrluSg-

Could you tell us where you purchase the product? You could send us the link of product.
    If it was from amazon, could you send us product link or amazon order number?

Sincerely

The video suggestion they provided didn't dislodge any debris, small or otherwise and the bad noise is still there. I've mailed them back with where I ordered from, etc.

There is a metal mesh at the back of a fan , I presume something got stuck in to it .
    Taking robot apart and clean the fan ,obvious solution ,unfortunately it’ll void the warranty ( if there is such a thing)

There is a metal mesh at the back of a fan , I presume something got stuck in to it .
    Taking robot apart and clean the fan ,obvious solution ,unfortunately it’ll void the warranty ( if there is such a thing)

Thanks, bit wary of doing that tbh, in case I run into an issue putting it back together.

OK, Roborock came back again and said.
    Thanks for the update and thepurchase info.
    According to your description, we are afraid this problem is caused by the wrong suction of the fan.
    In this situation, we suggest you contact seller for warranty service. As the manufacturer, we could provide customer technical support and seller is responsible for warranty. We appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely

I had some free time this morning and contacted TomTop (sent them the correspondence I had had with Roborock) and they responded in 10 minutes. I sent them the original video and a second one which is longer. I'm not sure the videos capture the bad sound as it sounds to the ear and it still does move, vacuum, etc. We'll see. They're very apologetic, hopefully I won't have to send it back to them, who knows.
    We have already delivered your information to our technical staff and they will work out a reasonable solution for you asap. Please wait for another 48 hours patiently.

OK, Roborock came back again and said.

I had some free time this morning and contacted TomTop (sent them the correspondence I had had with Roborock) and they responded in 10 minutes. I sent them the original video and a second one which is longer. .

Any news yet ?
    DIY Video guide ( void the warranty if any)

https://youtu.be/6AAvcFTTUow

Any news yet ?
    DIY Video guide ( void the warranty if any)

https://youtu.be/6AAvcFTTUow

No further response from them.

That translate as 'mistake 18 (i.e. error), disassembly, troubleshooting'

• Advertisement

I was taking apart Mi Robot (1st generation) few times, not a rocket science to be honest, some DIY skills required though.(not as difficult as mobile phone disassembly )

I was taking apart Mi Robot (1st generation) few times, not a rocket science to be honest, some DIY skills required though.(not as difficult as mobile phone disassembly )

Is it obvious what's gone wrong when you take it apart, something a bit off, damaged?

You might see if something went wrong ( not all the times) .
    Even the smallest object (1/5 of rice grain) could cause fan malfunction.
    Trickiest part would be the opening fan itself to see if there any small particles, debris in there..
    5:00-5:50 timestamp in that video

PS. A bit of a advice for everyone,never flip the vacuum upside down with the dust bin removed .
    If you want to clean/remove main brush, make sure dust bin stays in a place.

Did you look at yours within the warranty?

No, I’ve bought mine 2 years ago , Gearbest ( first time disassembled it about a year ago, just out of curiosity ) .
    I am pretty sure ,I wasn’t going to send it back to China for warranty repairs anyway .

Does say opening up voids the warranty. Could be €60 or so postage to send it back to China. I've nudged them by email now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭ablelocks

for a large floor area, would it be better to have floor mapping as a feature?

(I thought 2 teenagers would be sufficient to keep the floor hoovered reqularly, but the software is glitchy, their floor mapping is rubbish, and often they can't even find the hoover.)

From TomTop
    Dear TBO,

Thank you for your mail and support. According to the technical staff, There may be foreign matter in the product, you need to clean the product. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Already tried that...

Could be faulty fan too.Do they realised it is impossible to "clean the product" without fan disassembly ?
    ...Chinese aftersales support :(

• Advertisement

TomTop are only suppliers. I'd imagine Roborock will bat me back to them if I try them again. I could make a third video showing how I clean it, but that may not grt the message across

I'm tempted to open it...

Advertisement