Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roomba or equivalent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Just fixed an issue I was having so thought I might as well post it up to help others (and myself if it happens again :D)

Someday last week my S5 Max got confused and created a mirror map of the house coming off the sitting room and placed the dock in the mirror room instead of where it actually was. There doesn't seem to be an manual way to fix this and it was getting lost and confused trying to go between rooms and clean up. I did try a new mapping but it kept getting stuck on things and I didn't have the time to clear the floors enough for it.

I managed to get it to reset by turning off the S5, picking it up and placing it in the room with the dock. I turned it back on and it did a position check and determined it was in the correct (non-mirrored) room. I then told it to go back to the dock and manually guided (by pressing the bump sensor on the front) it towards the dock every time it tried to head towards the door. It still didn't pick up the dock properly even though it was nearly on top of it, so I hit pause again, gave it a second and then told it to go the dock again. It finally detected the dock properly and drove onto it. I checked the map and it had move the dock location back to where it actually was. Very annoying but glad it finally worked. It would be great if they improved the map editing functionality a bit. The automatic mapping is still a bit to finicky.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

AliExpress S5 max for 335
    Very tempted
    Starting in one hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

nigwerwig wrote: »
    Very tempted
    Starting in one hour
    Have you a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Very tempted
    Starting in one hour

Any link for it?

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Very tempted
    Starting in one hour

Great vacuum. Got one a few weeks back on Amazon for a bit over €400. Cleaning my hall as I type.

With expensive items on AliExpress etc I always factor in what it might cost if I need to pay customs, and if it's still a good deal I go with that. If not, the convenience, speed and fixed cost of Amazon is worth it in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Bought a Eufy Robovac 15c Max during last year's Black Friday... Only set it up this week... and very impressed so far. So impressed in fact that I'm debating ordering another for upstairs...

Any link for it?

Sorry it on the app said 321 now

I pulled the trigger on a S5 max in black shipping Czech Republic 319

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

I pulled the trigger on a S5 max in black shipping Czech Republic 319

how did you get 319? 335 looks like cheapest, no matter which store..
    also looks like they all have EU plugs. Suppose charging cable is standard and can be easily changed.

also looks like they all have EU plugs. Suppose charging cable is standard and can be easily changed.

Elive store when I went into it to pay it said discount
    Its still there now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

It is standard Fig 8 cable

alec76 wrote: »
    It is standard Fig 8 cable

thanks.
    I pulled trigger on while s5 max with additional parts.. (didn't get same discount as nigwerwig , but a bit..)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Looks like wyze is getting in on the robovac scene

https://wyze.com/wyze-robot-vacuum.html

Be interesting to see how it performs. Its quite cheap for a vac with LiDAR

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

mrcheez wrote: »
    I recently got my entire downstairs re-floored and got rid of the carpet (joy!).

So I have the perfect environment to let a Roomba run free and do the cleaning for me.

Has anyone got any experience of a Roomba, or are there alternates I should look out for? How well does the battery last after a few years?

I'd like to go for the one that charges itself automatically and resumes cleaning. The area to clean is fairly small (40 sqm) so perhaps it can do it all on a single charge.

We have a roomba hoover, and a roomba "mop", and my wife swears by them. They're constantly going off somewhere in the house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The only 2020 video we need, so many robots. :pac:

The only 2020 video we need, so many robots. :pac:

I used to value his opinion on vacs much higher until i bought a dyson v10 which he rates very highly. Its pure muck and constantly clogs so i always wonder if hes purely number testing and not real world experience testing.
    I still watch all his videos though

seannash wrote: »
    I used to value his opinion on vacs much higher until i bought a dyson v10 which he rates very highly. Its pure muck and constantly clogs so i always wonder if hes purely number testing and not real world experience testing.
    I still watch all his videos though

I have a V10 very happy with it. Only ever had it clog twice after pull up baby socks . I use the soft roller head on the wooden floor. I have never used the normal head and the small head for the stairs.
    I keep the head, filter etc clean

But it was massively overpriced

mrcheez wrote: »
    I recently got my entire downstairs re-floored and got rid of the carpet (joy!).

So I have the perfect environment to let a Roomba run free and do the cleaning for me.

Has anyone got any experience of a Roomba, or are there alternates I should look out for? How well does the battery last after a few years?

I'd like to go for the one that charges itself automatically and resumes cleaning. The area to clean is fairly small (40 sqm) so perhaps it can do it all on a single charge.
    Roborock

I have a V10 very happy with it. Only ever had it clog twice after pull up baby socks . I use the soft roller head on the wooden floor. I have never used the normal head and the small head for the stairs.
    I keep the head, filter etc clean

But it was massively overpriced
    It doesn't seem to pick up anything thats not dust. If there a corner of a wrapper or piece of plastic it clogs it. Its like you have to clean the slightly heavier stuff before you use the dyson.
    Not like the hoovers of old that would suck up coins if it was left on the floor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,429 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

There's another channel called VacuumAdvisor. He mostly focuses on upright ones, though, and is less prolific.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭EletricMan

Anyone else find it really annoying that once the battery gets to 20% It heads back to charge. 20% Is a good chunk of battery left. Often I would only have a small bit left and this delays it finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Diaell

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Good deal on a d6?

I had considered this robot vacuum for a while, but got a roborock s5 max a few weeks back, so I can't give first hand experience.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GSMXH4G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_dlC_eXmSFb076CSR6

Cheapest I've seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭quartz1

quartz1 wrote: »
    I ordered a complete set from AliExpress .... supposedly Original ..roller, sweepers, filter etc just.to have them spare ..I would like to be able to wash the hepa filter and give it time to dry

Arrived this morning . Seem to be original parts

Hopefully getting the S5 max today
    What app on Android do you use
    Is there anything else I should know before I set it up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Hopefully getting the S5 max today
    What app on Android do you use
    Is there anything else I should know before I set it up
    I use Roborock. I think the MiHome app is supposed to work too but haven't tried it.

my s5 max arrived this morning. not sure how to tell the extras are genuine or not. the mop pads look differnt to the one bundled.
    charging and updating firmware atm..

Should we not expect much movement around this, to the low ish €300 mark at this stage?

my s5 max arrived this morning. not sure how to tell the extras are genuine or not. the mop pads look differnt to the one bundled.
    charging and updating firmware atm..

Just waiting for DPD its going to long day in work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Ordered the s5 max from aliexpress on 11.11.11 from the warehouse in France.....no updates on tracking only to say it was dispatched on 11.11.11
    Did anyone who ordered on 11.11.11 receive theirs yet and if so was it delivered by an post or dpd and di you get a notification the day before?
    Thanks

Advertisement