Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roomba or equivalent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Thanks og2k7. If the docking station is downstairs, and you manually carry the device upstairs, what does it do when it's finished cleaning? Wait until you carry it downstairs and directs itself back to the charging station?

Edit, going to have a read here. https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comments/7lobtt/mi_robot_vacuum_2_roborock_s50_how_does_it_handle/

Once its done upstairs it says: cannot find the docking station and pulls over to the starting spot. I then bring him downstairs and he goes back to the dock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

og2k7 wrote: »
    Once its done upstairs it says: cannot find the docking station and pulls over to the starting spot. I then bring him downstairs and he goes back to the dock

Ours is a boy too, we call him Howard :o

"Howard is the handy-man"

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    Ours is a boy too, we call him Howard :o

"Howard is the handy-man"

Ours is called George - granny thought he said Georging for charging so it stuck LOL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Ordered. Oh God. :o

Thanks for the help. Will come up with a name!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Ordered. Oh God. :o

Thanks for the help. Will come up with a name!

where and how much did you bite for ?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Shaunoc wrote: »
    where and how much did you bite for ?

TomTop. It seems to be out of stock now. It was $419 yesterday (Paypal receipt is €365), now it's back up to $539.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

og2k7 wrote: »

I got one of these as new from amazon warehouse for 260, very happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Hi

Is Robo rock only for hard floors because it has the mop function? Or can it still do rugs etc?

Also, there is a version on gearbest for 340 today.

Link

Is this the latest version? Is there anything to be wary of with that listing? Or gearbest in general?

Thanks a mil

Roborock S50 is the second generation device, yes. http://www.hoc.hu/en/xiaomi-mi/xiaomi-cikkek/31893-nalunk-mar-robotok-robotolnak-xiaomi-roborock-s50-robotporszivo-teszt

Gearbest might involve customs (I think, not sure) picking up on it, hence people sometimes using other sources.

• Advertisement

nialldinho wrote: »
    Hi

Is Robo rock only for hard floors because it has the mop function? Or can it still do rugs etc?

Also, there is a version on gearbest for 340 today.

Link

Is this the latest version? Is there anything to be wary of with that listing? Or gearbest in general?

Thanks a mil

Mop is just an additional option so by default you will be okay with medium pile rug (tested). I have used AliExpress but selected to be shipped from within EU (faster and no duties).

Roborock S50 is the second generation device, yes. http://www.hoc.hu/en/xiaomi-mi/xiaomi-cikkek/31893-nalunk-mar-robotok-robotolnak-xiaomi-roborock-s50-robotporszivo-teszt

Gearbest might involve customs (I think, not sure) picking up on it, hence people sometimes using other sources.

Yea - you need to make sure you pick the correct warehouse and should be fine: a lot of them now have multiple options

Dispatch email came at 1pm yesterday. UPS saying next Thursday for delivery. Seems a little slow for within Europe. Mind you, as it's still showing 'label created' on their system, hasn't actually shipped. /grumble

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Went to buy the roborock there and it's gone up in price on Tomtop.i was gonna use them as it's EU warehouse.

What's the cheapest option with EU shipping ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I wonder if Xiaomi officially launching in the UK and Ireland will mean they start to sell the roborock here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I wonder if Xiaomi officially launching in the UK and Ireland will mean they start to sell the roborock here.

Will it just be phones and tablets to start ?I see they have a deal done in UK with 3.

Id guess the roborock would be down their list of priorties when launching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

yabadabado wrote: »
    Will it just be phones and tablets to start ?I see they have a deal done in UK with 3.

Id guess the roborock would be down their list of priorties when launching.

Doesn’t look like it is on the immediate launch list based on this, although the top of the page mentions 3 so there might be a more general product roll out to come.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108512538&postcount=19

UPS tracking is fun, if only for learning geography. Poland - Germany x2 and now it’s in the UK. Long stretch of km between some of the spots.

UPS tracking is fun, if only for learning geography. Poland - Germany x2 and now it’s in the UK. Long stretch of km between some of the spots.
    try ordering from AliExpress: for one of the orders i managed to get the plane number and could track the order that way: China, Turkey for some reason, Germany then, UK and finally IE ( 20 odd days in total). Definitely can be explained from logistics point of view, but some trail right there

It arrived yesterday. :)

Was having some connectivity issues starting out, and still a little bit "failed to start extension", etc. Reset the wifi a few times. And the app (Android) crashes. A lot. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling.

Still, it cleaned one room and I'll try more later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

It arrived yesterday. :)

Was having some connectivity issues starting out, and still a little bit "failed to start extension", etc. Reset the wifi a few times. And the app (Android) crashes. A lot. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling.

Still, it cleaned one room and I'll try more later.

I'm thinking of getting one myself in the next few days. Post up a review if you dont mind, very interested in hearing how you get on!

Comes with a 2 pin plug, btw.

Roborock S50 - Initial impressions

Device – lighter than I thought.
    App – iOS version hasn’t crashed. Android one crashed frequently on first use. Still have to explore the app in full. Info provided seems handy and interesting. Had a few teething issues starting out, as mentioned yesterday.

Cleaning – first full downstairs run. Approx 43 minutes, used about 23% of the battery. Wasn't sure what it was at in the hall at one stage as it didn't do it in full, then went back to room one, before returning to the hall, followed by the kitchen.

Upstairs – first run through. 28 minutes, used ~ 21 of battery. Returned to its starting spot (not the dock) without any fuss. I threw down a few bits of paper from the shredder (not many), it got most. Thought there was some of the carpet that needed a second look, so I decided to give the upstairs another spin. I think due to some errors it got a bit confused, and although it resumed cleaning (and said so, audibly), it didn't return to its original spot and cease. With one of the errors, at first I couldn't find it. :o Well, there's a prompt in the app and she'll say 'Hi, I'm over here'. :P Anyway, I just stopped it after 53 minutes because it kept looping back between two bedrooms and didn't seem to know what it was doing. Or did, but maybe didn't have an end point in mind. More on the hiccups below.

Errors – wall sensor wasn’t clean (coweb, dust, etc) after the downstairs run, the device wouldn’t proceed. Fine after cleaning this off. Another time it got tangled on a piece of string. Other errors involved it hitting my computer chair and not seeming to know what it could do i.e. turn around and continue. A few little obstacles like that. No errors in the downstairs run. Sounds like, if you set it going, went out for a walk, and it hit something, the job wouldn't be complete if you came home to an error. Don't think you can expect any device to manage errors that are not its fault, or environmental. Absolutely no trouble with saddle boards. I left it running upstairs whilst having dinner and could hear it hitting off stuff now and then.

Dust box - quite full more than once, pleased with that.
    Cat - hasn't given her view as she's mostly an outdoor one. She tends to be jittery about noise anyway.
    Google Home - haven't tried.
    Timer, routine/schedule, etc - same as above.

Nothing particularly negative that I can see, so far. I have read the manual (unlike with other devices :pac:) purely with an eye to maintenance needs and habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Is the version 2 with mopping worth the extra money?

Can't say, haven't tried it. I didn't install that part as I didn't want to fill the water tank.

I accidentally spilled some uncooked porridge, seeds, raisins and water tonight. It got most of it. Had the machine running already anyway.

Don't think so: as in i used the mop once and will use it again, but its just an additional functionality: the container is small and you need to set the virtual walls to make sure it doesnt go over carpets (I think this might be fixed with todays app update but need to check that).

I think the improved app (mapping), better suction were the factors. Mop was not even a secondary feature for me

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

It's seems that the V1 can be got for about 230 and the V2 for about 340. Just don't see a huge improvement for the extra 110.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

This site has a good breakdown of the differences between V1 and v2 https://smartrobotreviews.com/reviews/the-new-xiaomi-robot-vacuum-vs-first-generation.html

I went for V1 cause I work in software development so I don't trust first releases and i always miss what I don't have so I'd miss the mop function straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

It's seems that the V1 can be got for about 230 and the V2 for about 340. Just don't see a huge improvement for the extra 110.

I was the same. They sent me the wrong one though and I'd miss the mop if I didn't have it. If you've loads of carpet it makes no sense though. We have a couple of mats that we lift out of the way or we set the zone up to avoid so it's very little hassle. Just depends on your floors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Amazon Spain have roomba 615 for under 200

Advertisement