Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grand Canal Trip

• 03-01-2017 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi

Question for the canal heads out there.

This coming spring we would like to motor a couple of sailing boats (shallow draft) from launching at Robertstown along the Grand Canal to the Shannon for the season.
    I used to do this trip regularly when I was younger but cant remember the timings.

Is it reasonable to expect to get from Robertstown to Shannon Harbour in 2 days as we could then leave the boat there until the following weekend for the trip to Lough Derg.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

Waterways Ireland put the trip down as 22 hours cruising. You should make it quicker than that, but say their timetables are correct that's 11 hours per day!

Personally I'd take my time, work in an extra day and have a bit of craic along the way.

I've attached the WI nav guide, page 33 has the Grand Canal timetable.

https://mail.google.com/mail/ca/u/0/?ui=2&ik=54ffaf303d&view=att&th=157722439e54f1a3&attid=0.9&disp=inline&realattid=f_itn9eun08&safe=1&zw[/URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

Might seem obvious but I'm assuming you'll have the masts down? I think the max draft is 3ft on the canal and air draft is 7ft but I'm open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

With proper water levels air draft is around 8ft over a 10ft beam. You got about 10 or so in the center (pure guess, never measured).

Depth max would be around 4ft draft.

In saying that I once had an old tug with a draft of around three and a half that dragged in a few places, and when levels were a bit down, forget about it.

A sailing club from Dublin, not sure exactly which one, Clontarf or Howth maybe, used to go down the Barrowline and sail back up the coast. They used a small two berth sail boat around 20/22ft with a lift keel. (I think they were called an E-boat?)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

Ah yeah well drop the masts for the journey.

I think you are correct about the E boats doing the trip.

My boat is 26ft Trailer Sailor with low draft but enough to allow for decent steerage.

Advertisement