Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

self monitored alarm system?

Options
  • 03-01-2017 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

We have an old wired alarm system with one motion sensor in the hall and sensors on all external windows and doors (9 in total). However, we would like an alarm system that can provide alerts and can be turned off, for peace of mind when we are away as we now have a dog.
    Just wondering if
    1. we need a brand new system installed?
    2. it makes sense to get a wireless system put it?
    3. it's safer to have it all done by a company who will also monitor for a fee or get an installer to put in an alarm and monitor yourself.
    4. there are many people who just install these systems? Most i find all want to monitor as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

What make is your control panel? I am just wondering as the devices on the system may or may not be compatible with another panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

it says Secure Watch HKC on the panel

Well you don't need a whole new system installed. The secure watch equipment is now obsolete and parts for it are getting like hens teeth.

You could stay with HKC and get their newer model the Securewave 10/70 installed, that is a perfect replacement but I will warn you, they charge for their app and for the use of it.

You could also get a GSD, Risco or Vanderbilt panel installed. None of these charge for their apps.

Your existing sensors will work with any of the above control panels so no need to change the whole system out.

thanks a million for the detailed response.

Just one other question, apologies if it's already been answered. If we do change the control panel and self monitor through an app, can we get an external monitoring service at a later date with the same system?
    Also, do i have to buy the panel myself and find someone to fit it?

Thanks

You are welcome, with regard to self monitoring becoming professional monitoring then certainly and especially so with the HKC 10/70, with regard to the GSD, Risco and Vanderbilt, I cannot professionally advise you about those as I am not sure, but I bet one of my colleagues here who uses these will confirm either way with these systems.

The best thing to do here is to get 3 quotes from 3 PSA registered installers to change out your control equipment and to carry out in intensive test on your existing detectors. I would suggest as well that you find out what the possible costs of faulty detectors are before deciding who does the work for you.

You are better off getting an installer to get you a panel, as if there is any issues with it, you can go back to him.
    I would be very reluctant to install a panel that a customer had purchased themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes, with those systems you could add Central Station monitoring.
    In fact with GSD the GSD Cloud Service acts as a back up and reports directly to certain monitoring stations directly.

thanks for all the responses, this information is really helpful

Reopening this thread as I finally got around to getting a price for changing the panel at home. Had some issue with sensors in the mean time.
    Anyway was quoted €525 to fit a new HKC hybrid panel and a transmitter or something. Just wondering if this is a reasonable price?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are you getting new panel keypad external bell and battery?
    If so that's not bad
    Are you looking at monitoring and/self monitoring.
    What are the one long charges??
    Just wondering what the transmitter is for??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Reopening this thread as I finally got around to getting a price for changing the panel at home. Had some issue with sensors in the mean time.
    Anyway was quoted €525 to fit a new HKC hybrid panel and a transmitter or something. Just wondering if this is a reasonable price?

Regardless of system used in an upgrade if you have problems with sensors you will still have an issue on a new system.
    Its good you have these sorted.

I`m also curious what the transmitter is?

• Advertisement

No new bell, just a new panel and he said something about a transmitter. To be honest I can't remember exactly what the other thing was he said we needed. He said it's about 4-5 hours work to fit what needed to be done.
    It would be self monitored using the HKC app which costs €5 per month I think.
    Not sure if it's any help but the cost for 2 new sensors to be fitted a couple of days ago was €150. Again not sure if that's expensive or not. Just really needed them done in a hurry so I didn't shop around.

4-5 hours to change panel and keypad??
    Seems very long to me.
    With regards the app and subscriptions I would recommend you shop around some more. There are plenty of systems out there offering free or cheaper options for apps and usage.
    Take a look at the sticky for more information on them.

Thanks for the response, really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

No new bell, just a new panel and he said something about a transmitter. To be honest I can't remember exactly what the other thing was he said we needed. He said it's about 4-5 hours work to fit what needed to be done.
    It would be self monitored using the HKC app which costs €5 per month I think.
    Not sure if it's any help but the cost for 2 new sensors to be fitted a couple of days ago was €150. Again not sure if that's expensive or not. Just really needed them done in a hurry so I didn't shop around.

He must be talking about the GSM-SC as a transmitter.
    Its good value considering he is upgrading the control panel too.

Thanks for the response, really appreciate it.

Your Welcome.
    Here's the link to the sticky
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057394782
    I was mobile earlier & couldn't post it up.

Advertisement