Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work have cancelled leave

Options
  • 03-01-2017 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I had a trip booked in February. Five days rec leave and a trip away with lads cycling. First time in a long time.

Anyway, due to an unforeseen upcoming event my company have cancelled all leave for the next two months. It's been made clear that my presence around the time I have leave booked is absolutely expected and required. I have been unofficially told that refusing to join the team effort will have 'repercussions' and my presence is now being taken as a given.

I have €120 paid for flights and over €500 on an activity. The flights will cost to change and the €500 is non refundable and non transferable.

All I can get from my work is that i'll be 'compensated'. But they're being very deliberately ambiguous.

Any advice on what I should do here? I don't want to be awkward. My company is generally very flexible and very accommodating when it comes to leave. I don't want to sour that.

Cheer,
    Quad
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What does your employee contract say about annual leave / holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

quad_red wrote: »
    My company is generally very flexible and very accommodating when it comes to leave. I don't want to sour that.

Given the last bit of your post:

Give them paperwork showing your out of pocket expenses.

And state looking for some lads who want to do a trip later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Start an email chain, put concerns to them I writing, emailing receipts for your holiday. Ask them direct questions about how you'll be compensated and ask them to reimburse you for the price of changing your plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

personally, i'd be asking myself do i want to work for such a company?

While its not always suitable/ easy to move jobs, if you can, then i'd be looking at that as an option.

they've already approved holidays and you've committed expenditure on the back of that. Just because they are now busy at that time doesn't mean they should feel its appropriate to ask you to cancel your plans. (Contractually they probably can, but morally they shouldn't).

start firing up the cv

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Start an email chain, put concerns to them I writing, emailing receipts for your holiday. Ask them direct questions about how you'll be compensated and ask them to reimburse you for the price of changing your plans.

Given that they cleared your holidays and you made plans according to that clearance what super_furry suggests above is probably the best route to take with this. If this is an emergency situation and you plan on staying with the company long term you may have to suck up the loss and soldier on. Given you say the company is flexible and accommodating normally I'd expect that you will get some sort of compensation for the changes you will have to endure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check with your colleagues, and see if this has popped up in the past? You may only have only noticed it this time, as you're affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

This is probably the best advice.

If management are being purposefully vague and you haven't been given explicit instructions on what to do with your leave, then you need to nail down those details before cancelling anything.

If do do cancel your holiday your company could turn around and deny any compensation claiming that you weren't explicitly told to cancel your leave.

I honestly can't see how a company can't plan ahead for 5 days absence of any employee especially give that this 'event' is over the course of 8 weeks.

Advertisement