Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are accents being lost?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Surely you mean there's something very lacking about those who do this?

No I don't. Accents are picked up naturally. If you find that threatening, it shows massive insecurity on your half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

There is a noticeable increase in the "amercanisation" of certain accent.

I'm like so whatever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

No I don't. Accents are picked up naturally. If you find that threatening, it shows massive insecurity on your half.

If I moved to Drogheda and never stepped outside it again for the rest of my days I'd never drop my Dublin accent. You're insecure if you don't drop your accent? The opposite couldn't be more truthful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

So, what do people think is a neutral accent? I think its whatever is most commonly heard in a country. In Ireland, that would be the midlands accent. So Ray Darcy, Ciaran Mulooly, Joe Little etc.

Fook aff.

A spudmunching midlands accent is not a neutral accent. Its your stereotypical bogger accent.

A non-knacker Dublin accent like pat Kenny is the standard accent. Obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I was in Ardee recently and the accent it as broad and pronounced as ever :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

There's no loss of accents in Ireland. If anything accents have gotten stronger - the pleasant Eamon Andrews/Gay Byrne articulation is lost. Dublin working class accents are as strong as ever and I assume that those Cork rowers were incomprehensible to you as me.

The D4 accent used to be more grating too, a clipped English skin over a recognisable Irish accent. The new accent just replaces the overlay clipped Englishness with faux American. Not as bad and preferable to cavan.

Except for neutral Irish accents we all sound crap.

Anything is preferable to Cavan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Glenster wrote: »
    Fook aff.

A spudmunching midlands accent is not a neutral accent. Its your stereotypical bogger accent.

Pat Kenny is what we should aspire to? Give me a gun!

The midlands examples of Ray Darcy, Ciaran Mulooly, Joe Little are fairly neutral, but not everybody in the midlands speaks like them. If you think they've stereotypical bogger accents, you've led a very bleedin' bleedin' sheltered life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

So if you were born and reared in Navan, but work in Dublin, you should "naturally" start talking like someone from Seattle????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

My kids have lost their Irish accent, I actually put the blame on the amount of YouTube videos that they watch, and the likes of Jacksepticeye and other YouTubers sounding like yanks...

It's headwrecking but it is going to get worse with all kids IMO...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I have a nephew who speaks with a pure American accent, basically because he learnt to speak from the TELEVISION. Scary really.

It does my head in when people say an accent is horrible, an accent is as unique as someone's face, who are we to say it's horrible or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Pat Kenny is what we should aspire to? Give me a gun!

The midlands examples of Ray Darcy, Ciaran Mulooly, Joe Little are fairly neutral, but not everybody in the midlands speaks like them. If you think they've stereotypical bogger accents, you've led a very bleedin' bleedin' sheltered life.

I think Pat Kenny has a lovely accent. personally.

And those midlands people described just have incredibly irritating radio accents, the kind that if you heard in real life you'd beat them to death.

A proper midlands accent just screams out 18th century sharecropper to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

So if you were born and reared in Navan, but work in Dublin, you should "naturally" start talking like someone from Seattle????

And there's the insecurity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

And there's the insecurity.

Where exactly? Navan or Seattle?

I wouldnt call it insecurity, Id call it daftness to put on a random accent that doesnt relate to anywhere you live or work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

bigpink wrote: »
    Are accents being lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I think Pat Kenny has a lovely accent. personally.

And those midlands people described just have incredibly irritating radio dontaccents, the kind that if you heard in real life you'd beat them to death.

A proper midlands accent just screams out 18th century sharecropper to me.

Ah here, Laois man meself and i definitely dont scream out 18th sharecropper,mother is from Offaly and she still has the sort of soft Offaly accent. Interestingly enough i noticed , that even within some counties, you have your "townie" accent and then your "country accent", its like a sub accent to some extent :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Fook aff.

There isn't much difference between between a neutral Dublin accent and a neutral Midlands/southern or eastern accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

This hysteria about the Americanised Irish accent had been around for at least a generation or more. Remember fab vinny.

None of the accents affected sound in the least bit American although the grammar and idiom can be American.

Advertisement