Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Nearing it's end??

Options
  • 03-01-2017 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

I have a 2nd hand HP5700 desktop for a few years now but beginning to feel
    it might on the way out. Its old so maybe time to get rid.

Clock keeps giving the wrong time

Wouldn't start today. When I pressed the button you could see the green light, but nothing happened. I unplugged it and then it started.

Google seems to suggest cmos battery on the way out. Would replacing
    the battery be a diy job for an elder lemon like me, or should I stay well clear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

From what I can see, the 5700 uses a CR2032 battery. You can get them everywhere - chemists, electronic shops or even Dealz sells a pack of them for €1.50 It's a really simple process to replace it - http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01435726

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Thanks for that, will definitely have a go, didn't think it would be that simple to be honest:)

Will there be any delay etc when I boot up after replacing it, for the system to recognise the change or is it business as usual.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Business as usual

You might have to set the time and date again but after that, it should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Those PC's are still quite functional so long as you're not doing any CPU-intensive stuff. People are always so keen on going out and buying the latest model of computer at the slightest hint of trouble with their current one. It makes no sense to me.

Hope the new CMOS battery did the trick for you! Good luck! :)

• Advertisement

Was hoping to do this tomorrow, got the battery in Heatons €2.

I just saw a youtube vid saying that you need to backup the bios:eek:

Is that true.

Nope - it's stored on a chip and can last a long time without battery power. There is no real need for anything other than remove the old battery and fit the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Was hoping to do this tomorrow, got the battery in Heatons €2.

I just saw a youtube vid saying that you need to backup the bios:eek:

Is that true.

Absolutely not. Some BIOS settings will probably revert to default once you take out the old battery - you'll need to reset the time before booting into Windows, but other than that, you should be good to go.

All sorted, a bit fiddley getting the old battery out. Plugged in the pc and it automatically started up with the black screen and giving the odd loud bleep.

I followed the options on screen, F9 for boot menu, F1 to save settings, which I did and back to boot menu, something like that, and thankfully it started running windows.

thanks lads.

Have this pc nearly 4 yrs now bought on adverts for €100 and its still running perfect for what I need anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Those old second-hand refurbished business class desktops are built to last, HP, Dell whatever. I got a second hand Dell for the missus for €140 off a guy from Adverts as well a few months ago, the thing is built like a sh!t brick house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Those hp pcs will last for 10 years plus, if you just use em for web browsing
    and playing music or watching tv online.
    If a PC does what you need theres no need to replace it.
    IF you need to open a pc you should switch it off and unplug the main power cable from the esb socket.
    As there may be power going thru the motherboard even when its switched off.

riclad wrote: »
    Those hp pcs will last for 10 years plus, if you just use em for web browsing
    and playing music or watching tv online.
    If a PC does what you need theres no need to replace it.
    IF you need to open a pc you should switch it off and unplug the main power cable from the esb socket.
    As there may be power going thru the motherboard even when its switched off.

To avoid any risk of shocks I unplugged the pc the night before.

Would doing this also reduce the risk of static electricity. I touched some metal objects in the room to discharge any SE that might be in me.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

even just touching the metal case would have done ya

Advertisement