Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Citizen to live and work in Ireland?

Options
  • 03-01-2017 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So I met an American girl in Dublin at the start of the summer this year. She had to go back to NY very soon after but we hit it off and stayed in touch constantly after she left. I have already been over to meet her family and it has basically became very serious.

We have been flying back and forward to see each other every couple of months but that is not sustainable for us. We want to be together and due to me having a well paying job here at the moment it seems getting her here would be the best way to do it except from looking into this it seems it is quite difficult to get a US citizen to live and work here.

I have looked this up a lot and can't see any definite paths we can take. If anyone has any helpful information on how to get here to live and work that would really be appreciated. She is going to be here next month for a few weeks so are there even any institutions or government bodies we could meet with during that time that could talk us through possible options?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Hi OP,

I don't have much advice, only to say that all of the couples I've met over the years who were American/Irish, they all got married in order for the American partner to be able to stay. Some couples are still together and some aren't. It's a gamble!

Maybe other posters will have more info re work permits, but that's all I've come across, in my experience.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Depending on her age and interest in accounting, she could apply to become a trainee accountant.

That would let her get a visa and get a job (even if it's not the best paying job in the world).

Only speaking from experience, that's what my then girlfriend (now wife) did a few years back (around 2008).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 various

We have discussed the marriage idea and are both ok with that if it will allow us to work and be together (we would be getting married at some point anyway). But does that allow her to work here straight away?

Also, She is 25 years old and has a degree in communications but not much work experience in that field. The trainee accountant idea sounds interesting. Could you give me an outline from your experience what that would involve including job prospects and starting salary?

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

various wrote: »
    We have discussed the marriage idea and are both ok with that if it will allow us to work and be together (we would be getting married at some point anyway). But does that allow her to work here straight away?

Also, She is 25 years old and has a degree in communications but not much work experience in that field. The trainee accountant idea sounds interesting. Could you give me an outline from your experience what that would involve including job prospects and starting salary?

Thanks guys.

If she's smart enough she should be able to get into one of the smaller firms. That's what my wife did.
    I don't know what the salaries are now, but back then they weren't great. If i was to guess they'd probably start at about 20k-ish and top out at under 30k.
    The salaries aren't great but once she's qualified they do go up a LOT higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Could she try to get into one of the American multinationals that have a base in Ireland and then try for a transfer to the Irish office? I presume there's an Irish version of the L1 visa that the multinationals leverage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement