Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo size for website

• 03-01-2017 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All.
    I am making a new website for my photography and was wondering what size I should make the photos. I don't want to lose to much quality but I don't want to slow everything up either.
    I heard it should be 72ppi but im sure there is more to it than that.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

A gallery of thumbnails and you click to see full image?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sluice

Hi. I will have a few large photos on the home screen and then a button at the top for portfolio and in there there will be photos but they won't be thumbnails. they will be bigish and people will scroll down through them. My apologies if I sound a bit silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

The dpi is not really a criteria. Make an assumption on average visitors screen size, say, 1200px, and resize all your pictures to at max 1200px wide use jpeg compression of around 75%, not too lossy and will greatly decrease file size and speed up loading.
    If you use thumbnails visitors will be able to look through your portfolio easier. Your "thumbnails" do not have to be minute, set them to 300px and when they click on them they get to see the full size also use a lazy loader then the screen will display the top images almost immediately, and will only load the lower images as the page is scrolled.
    If you are using WordPress use a gallery plugin it makes controlling the display of images much easier, display size, sorting into groups/categories etc.
    There is no point in having images bigger than the display, either, the visitor will only be able to see part of an image at a time or the browser will resize them on the fly for you, slowing things down and probably not to the quality you want.
    For most websites half the visitors are now on mobile devices so using images greater than 1000px will, most likely, lose you your visitors due to long loading times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I re-size all mine to 800px @72dpi at about 70% compression. Images usually end up between 50Kb and 80Kb.

Advertisement