Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equine Science in UL?

• 03-01-2017 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, I'm going to college in September and I am considering going to Limerick for the Equine Science course. If you have done the course/know someone doing it I'd love to hear your opinions on it! Would you recommend it? Also, what kind of job could you get out of it? I've seen the list of possible careers on the UL website but I'd like to hear from someone who's done the course. Thank you! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Cathers510 wrote:
    Hi all, I'm going to college in September and I am considering going to Limerick for the Equine Science course. If you have done the course/know someone doing it I'd love to hear your opinions on it! Would you recommend it? Also, what kind of job could you get out of it? I've seen the list of possible careers on the UL website but I'd like to hear from someone who's done the course. Thank you!

Is it the diploma, cert or honours degree you're looking to do?

I did the honours degree and graduated recently. To be honest, if I could shove the entire equine community into the course, I would so I may be a bit biased.
    As for jobs, it really depends on what you want to do. For example, I'm currently saving for a postgrad in Animal Physio, which the course made possible. A few in my year are now in the Irish Equine Centre and a few other labs around the world. One of my friends is in Coolmore Australia after being flown there from the Tipp yard for the Australian season, but is due to be flown back shortly for our season. There's a few in Darley as well and one lad now works with the Irish Field. Others have used it as a springboard into other courses as I am doing. Past graduates have gone on to manage big racecourses, work in various yards, own their own yards etc. The founder of the UCD Animal Science course was a UL Equine Science graduate.

First year is quite basic. You do basic biology, chemistry, feeding and economics. The riding also brings you back to basics and they really start you from scratch so everyone is at the same level, which some people found frustrating. Unfortunately, we had a fantastic lecturer who has since retired for the equitation modules so I can't say for sure what they're like anymore for first and second year. You also do Anatomy and Physiology in first year which does involve examining internal bits of dead horse so if you're any way queasy, be prepared for this.

Third year, you pick between business and equitation majors. Business majors stop going to the equestrian centre. There's a fair bit of a leap in riding between the last two years. You basically go from "ride on the buckle end over these trotting poles" to "jump this 1m and up course and critically analyse these top riders". Second semester, you go on an 8 month placement (co-op). To be honest, the co-op office are a bit useless when it comes to equine placementd and it's usually easier to go find your own. You usually have some idea of the industry you're going to go into by then (there's modules on types of industry with various guest speakers) so it's best to pick something in those lines. You can split your placement if you wish.

Fourth year is final year and with it comes your Final Year Project. It's not easy. If you do pick the course, I'll let you know who my supervisor was so you can avoid them like the plague.

But overall, it was an enjoyable course and I would do it all over again in a flash. Bare in mind though, it is first and foremost a science course. Your science modules are usually with Science Ed and Science Choice students, unless they're equine specific. Science subjects include biochemistry, microbiology, pharmacology and genetics so they aren't wishy washy. A lot of the drop outs in first year were people who didn't really believe the "Science" part of "Equine Science".
    However, you develop numerous contacts, work with some of the best people in the industry, and learn just how much you don't know :)

Advertisement