Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External HDD failure

Options
  • 03-01-2017 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

My external HDD stopped working a while back and I want to try and sort it. Basically, when I connect it via the USB to a laptop I can hear it turning and vibrating and it flashes like it is working but no computer I have attached it to recognises it. However, if I leave it in for a while it warms up and it then detects a 'Local Drive' but when I try and access it, nothing appears and it says inaccessible. Looking at the properties of the drive reveals nothing. I want to try and connect it to a PC now using its other connection to see if that picks it up. I've attached a pic of the back of the external HDD. Do I need anything special in order to connect it up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

could be bad sectors and most likely reading head is dead,in other words if its not power issue it might be RIP since beside bad sectors its really hard to restore data in hdds,linux has plenty of tools to check drives,and prob fix some issues or make recovery image,but that alone needs expertise to do.

one solution even thou not proven in any way,put hdd in water proof bag and put in in freezer for a day or so,then try to plug it in and see if you can recover some data if heads start spinning.

edit:seems two threads are on same topic,mods can delete this one,since advise has been given on other thread.

Advertisement