Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freelancing - Registering & Tax

Options
  • 04-01-2017 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello.

I have started working as a freelance Graphics Designer a few months ago while in University to help pay some fees. I am very small at the moment and this year I have made just under €2000. I'm not doing a business or law degree unfortunately so I am confused as to how I need to proceed expanding my business.

I've been reading a lot on Revenue and other websites about being self-employed, tax, etc. and the language is not very friendly to say the least. As far as I am aware I am not a 'chargeable person' as I did not make the threshold of about €3100 this year. This is where I get confused as I don't understand if I am not a chargeable person does that mean I don't owe any tax and don't have to register as a sole trader? I do not work anywhere else, this freelancing work is my only job.

Secondly, even if I make under €3100, do I still need to register as a sole trader or something similar? All of this legal stuff is very new to me and I just want to make sure that I don't get into any legal issues. If business continues as it has, in 2017 I will make over €3100 and then I believe I'd definitely need to register as a sole trader, but for now until I reach that figure, do I need to do anything/pay tax? And if so, how?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Blackstar767

Best to go and get an appointment with the nearest citizens info. Pretty sure they can clear this up for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Vilas wrote: »
    Hello.

I have started working as a freelance Graphics Designer a few months ago while in University to help pay some fees. I am very small at the moment and this year I have made just under €2000. I'm not doing a business or law degree unfortunately so I am confused as to how I need to proceed expanding my business.

I've been reading a lot on Revenue and other websites about being self-employed, tax, etc. and the language is not very friendly to say the least. As far as I am aware I am not a 'chargeable person' as I did not make the threshold of about €3100 this year. This is where I get confused as I don't understand if I am not a chargeable person does that mean I don't owe any tax and don't have to register as a sole trader? I do not work anywhere else, this freelancing work is my only job.

Secondly, even if I make under €3100, do I still need to register as a sole trader or something similar? All of this legal stuff is very new to me and I just want to make sure that I don't get into any legal issues. If business continues as it has, in 2017 I will make over €3100 and then I believe I'd definitely need to register as a sole trader, but for now until I reach that figure, do I need to do anything/pay tax? And if so, how?

Thank you

Register with ROS and in october/november declare any further income you may have what ever means you received it.
    There is no need to register as a sole trader as the ros system will take care of that for you.

Advertisement