Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very minor crash

Options
  • 04-01-2017 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Had a very minor tip a few days ago. Other driver was doing a U-turn from a parking spot onto my side of the road without looking. I managed to slow down and stop but not before brushing the corner of my bumper off theirs.
    The damage is very minor, nothing broken, just scratches on that corner of the bumper.
    The other driver admitted liability and we exchanged details. I just want to know would claiming on their insurance would affect me come renewal time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Cork Exile wrote: »
    Had a very minor tip a few days ago. Other driver was doing a U-turn from a parking spot onto my side of the road without looking. I managed to slow down and stop but not before brushing the corner of my bumper off theirs.
    The damage is very minor, nothing broken, just scratches on that corner of the bumper.
    The other driver admitted liability and we exchanged details. I just want to know would claiming on their insurance would affect me come renewal time?

If they are accepting liability then your insurance will be unaffected.

You need to inform your insurer of the incident though because there is always a strong possibility the other driver has a change of heart and decides to go looking for compo.

From your description above it looks like you tipped them, that's the reality of it, no matter of they were doing something they shouldn't have been.

Ring your insurer today, give them as much info as you can about the other person - name, address, vehicle reg, policy number etc - and tell them the other driver accepted liability at the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't hinge too much on them admitting liability. People tend to think this means all is sorted when it may not be. The other driver's insurance conditions may even tell them to not admit liability, for instance if they're with 123

Like Rod Munch said, ring your insurer pronto with all details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Cork Exile wrote: »
    I just want to know would claiming on their insurance would affect me come renewal time?

Yes. Some insurers will not quote you if you have been involved in an accident or loss of any kind. Regardless of fault.

Last time I went to the hassle of quoting the relevant company's assumptions for new business my post was deleted as off topic.

The previous time I was told I was spouting nonsense, and that I had no credibility, and that I didn't "understand insurance". Which I thought was rather uncivil and unhelpful as my assertion was completely correct.

There is a certain irony in the constant pushing of "utmost good faith" around here considering information that is known to be false but suits the insurance industry is still being peddled to Average Joes who don't know any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Unlikely the other driver will want to put it through insurance, the damage sounds so minor the excess wouldn't make it worthwhile.

If it was me I'd get this sorted ASAP. His word against yours... People can think things over in the their heads post accident and then opinions can change.

Heard of instances where the other drive has clearly been at fault but no witnesses etc..

Advertisement