Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hawke on 223?

Options
  • 04-01-2017 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

hi folks,and happy new year,lad i know has just bought a second hand 223,think its a tikka,anyway he was asking would a hawke scope be good to put on it?he likes the side focus type,with fine crosshairs,no mil dots,18+mag,says he wants to be able to head shoot rabbits 200+yards when not after foxes,he has around €400 to spend,he has a hawke on his .22lr and likes it,thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've had and have an Endurance and Sidewinder on mine. I currently have a Sidewinder on my bolt action 223, semi auto 223, and bolt action 308.

No issues with loss of zero, tracking, etc. Have worked perfectly for over 5 years.

€400 is a perfect budget as places like Territory Hunting so them for €420.

The 6-24 would be my suggestion. Gives enough mag to push the 223 out to longer distances is he wants, but if not it goes down to 6 power to allow shorter/closer shots.

Also look at the SR Pro reticle. It has a nice crosshair, adjustments on the reticle and only the very centre lights up so if he goes lamping the illuminated bit will not blind him by lighting up the entire crosshair.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

Cass wrote: »
    I've had and have an Endurance and Sidewinder on mine. I currently have a Sidewinder on my bolt action 223, semi auto 223, and bolt action 308.

No issues with loss of zero, tracking, etc. Have worked perfectly for over 5 years.

€400 is a perfect budget as places like Territory Hunting so them for €420.

The 6-24 would be my suggestion. Gives enough mag to push the 223 out to longer distances is he wants, but if not it goes down to 6 power to allow shorter/closer shots.

Also look at the SR Pro reticle. It has a nice crosshair, adjustments on the reticle and only the very centre lights up so if he goes lamping the illuminated bit will not blind him by lighting up the entire crosshair.

thanks cass,what do you think of the .223/.308 MARKSMAN RETICLE (24×) on the endurance model?its also a bit lighter than the sidewinder................i like the look of this scope myself,what rings/mounts would be good to fit it to my rem 700?my present scope has a 1" tube,thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

sniperman wrote: »
    thanks cass,what do you think of the .223/.308 MARKSMAN RETICLE (24×) on the endurance model?
    I haven't use that exact one, but i have on other scopes.

They are a handy alternative to mil-dots, but i've found with all these reticles that they only work well on a specific type of round (not calibre but round). However they can be used effectively once you develop your own drop using the same markers. Also they're not too cluttered like some other reticles with mil-dots, hash marks, etc.
    ................ what rings/mounts would be good to fit it to my rem 700?my present scope has a 1" tube,thanks
    Depends on budget and preference.

I prefer rings and a rail as opposed to direct fit onto the receiver. There are many types. Warne a good make with known quality and performance. The side fitting ones can be tricky to mount, but never fail. I also like Burris Tactical Xtreme. Excellent grip, straight down top piece for tightening as opposed to the side fitting like on Warne.

As said above i prefer a rail and rings. Warne and Burris also do rails at reasonable prices. You can get 0 moa to 20 moa (as far as 40 but 20 will cover any shooting you need).

You're looking at anywhere from €140 to €200 for both rings and rails. More if you go for the top brand, 20 moa rail or another make like Nightforce that start at €150 for rings, and another €150+ for the rail.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement