Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Truth about Obesity

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

learn_more wrote: »
    I worked in catering as a cook for years. Most of cooking is laboriousness chopping and cleaning. This is the thing ppl want to avoid and pretend 'they cant cook'.

I totally agree with you. Like you say, it's labour, it's a job. You were paid for it, I'm just trying to stay alive on top of my real job, so I'm not going to put the effort in.

So what's your actual solution? I think we need a technological one. If you look at house cleaning and clothes washing, that's been automated and aided so much, whereas it used to be a full time job. Food preparation is still in the dark ages in this regard, it's ridiculous how much time and effort it takes. We should be working towards solutions to that. We have stuff like microwaveable/oven reheat food, but it's not healthy. Technology/food science is the key here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,252 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Final final point: If the government put a huge tax on sugary drinks and junk food, I'd be all for it. I think the motivation for eating bad food is born out a tightness of money, and if cheepiness and lazyness were taken out of the equation, I bet ya, suddenly ppl would be able to cook proper food.

nope. it's nice to do some wishful thinking but we have to deal with reality. taxing sugary drinks doesn't work, tried and failed. making 1 type of food more expensive doesn't cause people to shift to the other food.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

A shocking deliberate ignorance of the contents off food.

And a shocking attitude of spending less in lieu of eating well.
    proper food.

This facking post is obese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Great, avoid obesity, live healthily into your 90s where you have dementia or Alzheimer's and your family have to pay for a Filipino nurse to wipe your bum. Your pension ran out because you loved too long and your family are burdened by your existence.

Then there is the fact that you were a health nut for all those years. Your grand kids certainly didn't like you because you never gave them the good stuff when they came to visit before you went absent minded. You have no friends anymore because they died after living full and unhealthy lives. And you have nothing to pass down in terms of a will because everybody had to pay for your health care.

Live life, live hard, eat the stuff you want, drink the stuff you want, do things that make you happy.

I know this is going back a bit but, Jesus, what a messed up opinion. Obese, unhealthy people are the ones who are going to be a burden to their family and to society, the ones who will suffer a (truncated) lifetime of health problems, from disintegrating joints to swollen livers and overworked hearts.

And if it's about enjoying life watch a fat person struggle to get up a flight of stairs or see how miserable they are shovelling junk food into their mouths on the couch, then compare to healthy people actually able to go out and take part in interesting activities and tell me who is enjoying life more.

I've never heard a more absurd opinion than the idea that eating yourself into a disability is an expression of joy. It's self destruction wrapped around a childish inability to address one's own problems.

Sell me on heroin abuse next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

To be fair the prep is a huge factor for people.

But supervalu and marks sell things like ready peeled spuds,carrot battons,veg mixes etc,that just need to be popped in a pot and boiled.coupled with grilling some meat or fish,its not that arduous to cook something healthy.

But each to their own,people are entitled to eat what they wish.

TheDoc wrote: »
    What is the actual point of the OP?

What ****e is that about being in favour of taxation on sugar or junk food?

Guess what OP, I'm a law abiding, tax paying, functional adult capable of making choices. If I buy a Mizzoni pizza, it's because I like a Mizzoni pizza. I'm not thick, I'm not making excuses, I'm not feeling guilty. I think it's tasty, and I want something tasty.

So why don't you worry about your own house and stop worrying about everyone else? I hate this **** going on, this healthy eating preachy ****e.

I'll go get a chicken fillet wrap for lunch, rather then the salad, because I can't think of anything more dreary than eating salads. It's a conscious choice that I'm making, in how I want to enjoy my food and spend my money.

I genuinely can't think of anything that would put me into a depression as quick as some of this healthy food ****e. If your into it well for you, you enjoy it and your doing your own trick. But this preachy ****e needs to get a grip.

Armies conquered large parts of the world on wine, red meat and bread, which most of this lot would freak their **** over eating these days : /

If you think you need to eat salad to eat healthily then you have a pretty poor understanding of nutrition. Nothing wrong with bread, wine, or red meat in reasonable quantities.

You don't live on an island (metaphorically :D). The developed world is eating itself into a crippling health crisis that will cost an absolute fortune and is only getting worse. We, collectively, have an interest in people not eating themselves into a medical crisis, because when they do we all pay for it.

Well and good for you to do anything you like to your body, but when we're spending more tax money on keeping obese people alive despite their best efforts to the contrary than we are on helping people who were just unfortunate we've gone very wrong somewhere.

Everything about your attitude could be applied to smoking. We discourage that just as we discourage alcoholism and just like we should discourage unhealthy diets.

I know you don't like be lectured to but maybe with obesity on an exponential curve your feelings on the matter are kind of outweighed by the dire consequences.

magentis wrote: »
    To be fair the prep is a huge factor for people.

But supervalu and marks sell things like ready peeled spuds,carrot battons,veg mixes etc,that just need to be popped in a pot and boiled.coupled with grilling some meat or fish,its not that arduous to cook something healthy.

But each to their own,people are entitled to eat what they wish.

For me it's the cleaning. Cleaning that grill pan afterwards is absolutely no fun, so I only use my grill a couple of times a year

Also, taste. I do make these simple enough dishes myself(because I hate the prep and cleaning up), things like just boil some vegetables and/or rice and cook a boneless skinless fillet and just combine it all together. But they are just dull and never taste as good as a pizza or something. Takes the joy out of eating, but it's a sacrifice I choose to live with it for the sake of my self-confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Final final point: If the government put a huge tax on sugary drinks and junk food, I'd be all for it. I think the motivation for eating bad food is born out a tightness of money, and if cheepiness and lazyness were taken out of the equation, I bet ya, suddenly ppl would be able to cook proper food.

I tend to agree with what you have said, I also think that over eating has big role to play in obesity, people to tend to over indulge in portion sizes, I mean who needs 20 chicken nuggets?

People sit down far too often also and move as little as possible. I notice in work the morning debacle to get the parking spaces closest to the door, whats so bad about walking across a car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

MrMorooka wrote: »
    For me it's the cleaning. Cleaning that grill pan afterwards is absolutely no fun, so I only use my grill a couple of times a year

Also, taste. I do make these simple enough dishes myself(because I hate the prep and cleaning up), things like just boil some vegetables and/or rice and cook a boneless skinless fillet and just combine it all together. But they are just dull and never taste as good as a pizza or something. Takes the joy out of eating, but it's a sacrifice I choose to live with it for the sake of my self-confidence.

Herbs are your friend.

I'll go get a chicken fillet wrap for lunch, rather then the salad/

Do you only ever have those 2 options for lunch

• Advertisement

MrMorooka wrote: »

Season your food before cooking, use herbs and spices rather than salt.

Also, line your grill pan with aluminum foil before using it, so you can just throw the mess from grilling away when you're finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Zillah wrote: »
    I know this is going back a bit but, Jesus, what a messed up opinion. Obese, unhealthy people are the ones who are going to be a burden to their family and to society, the ones who will suffer a (truncated) lifetime of health problems, from disintegrating joints to swollen livers and overworked hearts.

And if it's about enjoying life watch a fat person struggle to get up a flight of stairs or see how miserable they are shovelling junk food into their mouths on the couch, then compare to healthy people actually able to go out and take part in interesting activities and tell me who is enjoying life more.

I've never heard a more absurd opinion than the idea that eating yourself into a disability is an expression of joy. It's self destruction wrapped around a childish inability to address one's own problems.

Sell me on heroin abuse next.

You don't eat healthy and exercise because you want to live to 90.

You eat healthy and exercise because you want to increase the probability that you'll be able to do the same things at 50 as when you were 30 years old. I've seen a few gym lads like that; twice my age and the same strength/stronger than me, and I'm in my twenties like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Anytime someone mentions macros I automatically decide to ignore their advice. A mention of grilled chicken breast is bonus points for lack of originality.

I think this thread will actually make me fatter.

Edit: actually one of the main reasons why people in this country are fat is because bloody grilled chicken breast is touted as only healthy alternative. I would pick pizza then too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭storker

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    Being healthy is great.

Being a pontificating, supercilious healthy person is not.

It may not be all that healthy either...

Candie wrote: »
    Also, line your grill pan with aluminum foil before using it, so you can just throw the mess from grilling away when you're finished.

The instructions for my oven specifically say not to do this, otherwise I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭duvetdayss

Don't forget the emotional aspect of eating. People eat to comfort themselves. Yes, a lack of knowledge and awareness is also a massive factor, but someone could know the ins and outs of healthy eating and still struggle to make the right decision in the moment.

There are two types of people. Those who can't eat when they're stressed and those who can't stop. Not sure one is healthier than the other.

It's too simple to say calories in vs calories out. You have to look at why people feed the need to eat when they're no longer hungry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If you think you need to eat salad to eat healthily then you have a pretty poor understanding of nutrition. Nothing wrong with bread, wine, or red meat in reasonable quantities.

You don't live on an island (metaphorically :D). The developed world is eating itself into a crippling health crisis that will cost an absolute fortune and is only getting worse. We, collectively, have an interest in people not eating themselves into a medical crisis, because when they do we all pay for it.

Well and good for you to do anything you like to your body, but when we're spending more tax money on keeping obese people alive despite their best efforts to the contrary than we are on helping people who were just unfortunate we've gone very wrong somewhere.

Everything about your attitude could be applied to smoking. We discourage that just as we discourage alcoholism and just like we should discourage unhealthy diets.

I know you don't like be lectured to but maybe with obesity on an exponential curve your feelings on the matter are kind of outweighed by the dire consequences.

Tax money has been spent and wasted for as long as I'm paying it. I, nor we, have any real say where that expenditure goes.

I've long since stopped giving a **** about the worlds problems or anyone elses problems. The problems I care about and deal with are my own and my household and immediate friends.

You only have to look at the political landscape here, and your up in the clouds if you think any government or politician is going to back or endorse any sort of longterm plan or strategy. It's all the quick win nonsense that they can stand over as their own that wont even make a difference, like a sugar tax.

And maybe I have that attitude about food because I'm a smoker, and I've grown pretty fed up about the mollycoddling and cotton wool society I seem to be a part of. I know the dangers of smoking, I know it's bad for my health, and I make a conscious choice to do it. Shock horror, adults make choices, good and bad.

I'd also argue that if anything does happen to me that requires medical treatment or hospital fees, don't any of you worry about it, I've paid enough tax to cover my own expenses for a lifetime.

It seems every debate or discussion about this just focuses on the food food food, and completely ignoring what is much more probable in terms of the issue, with children or teens or adults involved in less physical activity with the exponential growth of technology and ease of life benefits that has brought.

But yeah, having a can of coke or a pizza is the real problem :D

bluewolf wrote: »
    Do you only ever have those 2 options for lunch

Of course not. The shop beside my job has plenty of options. Personally, all I ever get is a plain chicken fillet wrap. Because its what I want, and I don't have any interest or like for anything else they do. Maybe the odd time I might consider a cold meats roll or something.

Noticable change in that shops offerings in the last few years alright. Big push to healthy this and healthy that. Salad is just a generic food type that popped into my head to cover "healthy eating".

I don't know I just think so much of it is basically gouging profit from an emotional topic and very much a red topic at the moment. Maybe the fact I work for a food retailer and see how the marketing, pricing and developement of the product happens.

But just as an example whilst in the queue yesterday with our lunch, my friend pointed to a cookie that was on this shelf that was labelled "healthy, organic foods" and all that nonsense. (Organic stuff I completely just call bollox by the way after reading a number of studies a few years back, and even sector research, where organic food is up there with homeopathy. There is literally no scientific benefit or gain, just a total nonsense for people who believe in it or are emotionally sucked into its proclaimed benefits)

Anyway to the shelf, there was an "organic cookie" for €4.20. It was tiny. An organic cookie.

Sorry, but if your buying that your a moron. IF you want a cookie buy a proper ****ing cookie. It's not going to kill you, your not going to burst out of your trousers, just stop being a sucker paying outrageous money purely nonsensical substitutes that makes no sense.

Sure, if your daily intake of cookies consist of having a dozen, yeah maybe look into an alternative type of cookie. But the problem is something different there.

As the first poster who responded to me said (after proclaiming I know little about nutrition) that its about balance and quantity. Well yeah, that's exactly it. But I'd argue someone having 10 pizzas a week, or a crate of coke a week, or smoking 60 a day, or drinking 12 pints a week, isn't succumbing to issues based on the product makeup or the ingredients, there is a physiological and behavioural issue there.

Also frequently overlooked when it comes to talking about "obesity", never mind the facvt what constitutes being called "obese" these days is nothing short of a ****ing bad offensive joke.

duvetdayss wrote: »
    Don't forget the emotional aspect of eating. People eat to comfort themselves. Yes, a lack of knowledge and awareness is also a massive factor, but someone could know the ins and outs of healthy eating and still struggle to make the right decision in the moment.

There are two types of people. Those who can't eat when they're stressed and those who can't stop. Not sure one is healthier than the other.

It's too simple to say calories in vs calories out. You have to look at why people feed the need to eat when they're no longer hungry.

Another point overlooked is just the people who simply don't care.

I'm not skinny, but I'd be laughing at anyone calling me obese. I play football twice a week, golf and am relatively active. Do I eat healthy? No I wouldn't say so, but I've got a decent enough balance.

Am I as active as I was at 28 as 18? No, there is a specific injury thing with me but that aside, live gets busier. I've two young kids, I've a full-time job that while isn't stressful is demanding, and the last thing I'd actually want to do when I get home, is go out for a jog or a walk.

I've never looked at a TV ad of some lad absolutely ripped and got self conscious about it, I've not being phased by the change in male fashion in recent years to skinny jeans and skin tight t-shirts with barely any sleeves.

It's like perception has entirely changed where you are one of three categories of male. Skinny to the point where it's questionable if you are actually male, a weird balloon shaped individual who absolutely loves taking selfies in the gym after a few reps and packing themselves into t-shirts that look two sizes too small, or your obese.

It's ridiculous.

• Advertisement

It seems every debate or discussion about this just focuses on the food food food, and completely ignoring what is much more probable in terms of the issue, with children or teens or adults involved in less physical activity with the exponential growth of technology and ease of life benefits that has brought.

It's because weight is determined almost entirely by food. Exercise burns very few calories. It is hard enough for an athlete to burn off 2000 extra calories from treats, let alone a couch potato with no muscle mass. If someone is overweight, no amount of exercise that they can do will solve that if they don't change their diet, they haven't a hope in hell of out running that diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

It's because weight is determined almost entirely by food. Exercise burns very few calories. It is hard enough for an athlete to burn off 2000 extra calories from treats, let alone a couch potato with no muscle mass. If someone is overweight, no amount of exercise that they can do will solve that if they don't change their diet, they haven't a hope in hell of out running that diet.

Not entirely true - I have lost 30kg a few years ago without changing a thing about my diet. I simply started to exercise.

The only difference is that it takes longer. It took me the better part of 2 years to lose that weight, while a strict diet would have done that in maybe 6 months. However, I much preferred the slow approach, and I'm not struggling to keep it off either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

screamer wrote: »
    Obesity is a complex and multi faceted issue. One factor you forgot is time - good takes time to prepare and cook. Time is a precious commodity that a lot of people don't have between huge work schedules and commuting etc so it's quicker to pickups takeaway or something that can be thrown in the oven or fryer...... but sure keep tarring everyone there with that ould brush......
    Obesity rates are highest among those who don't work at all. What's their time issue? I think your point is a red herring. Plenty of busy,active people eat well and stay a healthy weight.
    Maybe people should just start being honest?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Not Propaganda

Time isn't the issue, it's laziness, pure and simple. I'm guilty of it too, oh I can't be arsed cooking I'll just get a pizza, it's easy, simple and I have food in front of me within 25 minutes.

Last night I forced myself to just make a shepherd's pie, from starting to prep the veg to taking it out of the oven was about an hour and a half. Yeah that's a good chunk of time but what else would I have been doing after work? Sitting on my ass watching Netflix of playing Playstation.

We all love to make excuses and sometimes yeah, you don't have the time or you don't feel up to it, but the vast majority of the time it's laziness or bad habits.

I also think the Government have a social responsibility as do the food industry. What is being put in our food, clear labels, and above all actual honesty about the effects these ingredients have on our bodies. Processed sugar is one that is only getting the headlines now for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭storker

Last night I forced myself to just make a shepherd's pie, from starting to prep the veg to taking it out of the oven was about an hour and a half. Yeah that's a good chunk of time but what else would I have been doing after work? Sitting on my ass watching Netflix of playing Playstation.

True, and it needn't be completely lost time either. While doing the prep, you could have a TV on in the kitchen or listen to the radio or podcast or audiobook. During the 30 minutes or so that the Shepherd's pie is in the oven, you can do what you like.

If you make a lot of Shepherd's pie, your cooking time for it tomorrow will be less than 15 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

The OP gave me a headache and a stomach ache from righteousness or maybe it's too much sugar in my cereal did that, but I laughed when I got to this.

"Last edited by learn_more; Yesterday at 01:26. Reason: typo"

Only the one!

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    Not entirely true - I have lost 30kg a few years ago without changing a thing about my diet. I simply started to exercise.

The only difference is that it takes longer. It took me the better part of 2 years to lose that weight, while a strict diet would have done that in maybe 6 months. However, I much preferred the slow approach, and I'm not struggling to keep it off either.

Well done, and I am very happy for you, but I don't think it's plausible for most people. That's losing 40g per day. Most people would not have the patience for that. I would also be very surprised if you didn't eat a least a little better if you were exercising that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Also frequently overlooked when it comes to talking about "obesity", never mind the facvt what constitutes being called "obese" these days is nothing short of a ****ing bad offensive joke.

I don't understand what you mean by this. I once briefly scraped into the obese category (BMI ~ 30). I was at the very bottom of that classification. I was really, really overweight and really unhealthy. Why was it a joke to classify me as obese?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Let's be honest: We, as a society, don't really like obese people, do we? We don't. We treat them like second-class citizens and conjure up gross generalisations about their character based on their size. In our minds, they're all a bunch of lazy, weak-willed, greedy arseholes with no self-control, who don't deserve sympathy because they've done it to themselves. When we see a 30-stone man or woman, we see everything but the truth, and the truth is that person is suffering in a major f*cking way. Odds are they already despise themselves and when they're part of a society which already treats them like sub-humans then what chance have they got?

I'm not saying society is the problem, but it absolutely doesn't help. I can tell you, for a fact, that it's an absolute joke how differently we treat them compared to slim, normal-sized folk. It is. I used to be really big and the societal difference is massive: I was smiled at a lot more; people said hello or good morning to me out of courtesy; you get doors held open for you so much more and politeness, in general, improves drastically. How sad is it that you need to lose eight stone before people start treating you like a human being again?

If you see a very large man or woman then instead of jumping to conclusions about their character, think about it. Think about why they're over-eating. Maybe it's greed, but you must explore the idea that their eating disorder stems from something far deeper like, say, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, intense loss or a deep, deep sadness which dopamine-flooding foods releases them from temporarily. Whatever the reason, it's most probably a pretty sad one. Over-eating is a result of something else going on. If you want to think that 'something else' is greed or laziness then, well, obese people aren't the only ones who need to take a look at themselves.

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    I don't understand what you mean by this. I once briefly scraped into the obese category (BMI ~ 30). I was at the very bottom of that classification. I was really, really overweight and really unhealthy. Why was it a joke to classify me as obese?

People don't like being confronted with the reality of their situation.

"I'm kind of fat but not, like, really fat"
    *is medically obese*

I know someone who is extremely overweight and makes herself feel better by pointing out that she is not as fat as the superfat people from American documentaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Well done, and I am very happy for you, but I don't think it's plausible for most people. That's losing 40g per day. Most people would not have the patience for that. I would also be very surprised if you didn't eat a least a little better if you were exercising that much.

I can assure yo that I did not make any dietary changes, I simply started working out between 30 - 60 minutes a day. Initially on a Nintendo Wii, but that got boring after a few months and I started getting taking long walks (living on the top of a steep hill made sure they were proper ecercise), cycling and swimming.

I didn't set out to lose the weight, that was just a side effect. I simply got fed up with being out of breath so often and from minor physical activities.

As I said, it was a lot slower than dieting, but I do keep the weight off. Which most people who go down the dieting route do not manage to do for more than 1 year after losing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Time isn't the issue, it's laziness, pure and simple. I'm guilty of it too, oh I can't be arsed cooking I'll just get a pizza, it's easy, simple and I have food in front of me within 25 minutes.

We all love to make excuses and sometimes yeah, you don't have the time or you don't feel up to it, but the vast majority of the time it's laziness or bad habits.

I also think the Government have a social responsibility as do the food industry. What is being put in our food, clear labels, and above all actual honesty about the effects these ingredients have on our bodies. Processed sugar is one that is only getting the headlines now for example

It's not the Governments job to get people to eat healthy, we're all adults and if someone wants to stuff their face with the wrong foods and do no exercise and die young then let them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

Shenshen wrote: »
    I can assure yo that I did not make any dietary changes, I simply started working out between 30 - 60 minutes a day. Initially on a Nintendo Wii, but that got boring after a few months and I started getting taking long walks (living on the top of a steep hill made sure they were proper ecercise), cycling and swimming.

I didn't set out to lose the weight, that was just a side effect. I simply got fed up with being out of breath so often and from minor physical activities.

As I said, it was a lot slower than dieting, but I do keep the weight off. Which most people who go down the dieting route do not manage to do for more than 1 year after losing it.

You're right. And the reason for that is because dieting is a temporary state, whereas people who lose weight want to maintain it which is itself a long term affair. This is not to mention that when people go on diets they usually restrain too much.

There was a professor in the US who carried out an experiment to prove his students that weight loss is about calories in vs calories out regadless of how you do it. So he spent almost 3 months eating 1800 calories which consisted of mostly processed food (doritos, twinkies etc). He lost 27 lbs. Simply because he reduced his daily calories by 800, the body doesn't care how you lose weight or what you do to achieve it. It only matters that you are using up more calories than your consuming. Either cutting calories, adding exercise or both will do that. So I don't understand why someone wouldn't believe you.

It's not the Governments job to get people to eat healthy, we're all adults and if someone wants to stuff their face with the wrong foods and do no exercise and die young then let them off.

The health and well being of the nation is absolutely the government's business. Our basic freedoms can't be overridden, so they shouldn't ban certain foods (or drugs imo, but that's another debate), but they have to plan for the future and allocate resources, and I think it perfectly reasonable to use disincentives such as taxes to cause more people to reconsider their terrible diets, because it is a collective toll we all pay in the end, and a serious danger looming on the horizon that could break the healthcare system. It is only beginning. We'll see the real damage when the current generation of face-stuffers as you describe them start getting older and their bodies start breaking down.

They don't just die young, as you claim, they suffer decades of declining health resulting in far more doctors visits, consultations, medications, and ultimately surgeries (both preventative, like gastric banding, and emergency, like heart surgery). Overweight people are also far more likely to develop cancer and therefore put even more strain on the healthcare system.

I don't understand where people get this idea that an obese person can live a normal life and suddenly die without consequences for anyone around them. Obesity slowly grinds the body down, and the healthcare system is morally and legally obliged to do everything it can to (expensively and laboriously) mitigate the consequences.

They're glib about it because they're in their twenties or thirties now. Wait until the 40s and 50s and we'll see the horror of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

The amount of calories in food is more than people can imagine.

If your overweight, or obese, count your calories for a day by weighing your food and using the nutritional labels.

Gaurentee you are eating way above what you should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The amount of calories in food is more than people can imagine.

If your overweight, or obese, count your calories for a day by weighing your food and using the nutritional labels.

Gaurentee you are eating way above what you should be.

Fair point. Also people generally tend to overestimate the amount of calories burnt through exercise, which worsens things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

A 25-minute cycle burns just over 200 calories, which is contained in a bar of chocolate. Surely diet is the overriding factor in weight loss?

And of course having the odd can of coke or pizza is not the real problem, but too much of them and hardly any nutritious foods is.

Medically obese has not changed either - it just looks slimmer than it used to because the bar has been raised so much. Nobody is saying people have to be really skinny though.

Flimpson wrote: »
    A 25-minute cycle burns just over 200 calories, which is contained in a bar of chocolate. Surely diet is the overriding factor in weight loss?.

You're right, nutrition is infinitely more important than exercise.

There's a huge misconception around the exercise element and it contributes to the growing number of obese people, in my opinion. They think that it's almost impossible to lose weight without exercise. I sabotaged countless diets because I wasn't adhering to the exercise and it promotes a 'What's the point in cutting back on calories if I'm not running regularly' type of mentality. It was the source of so much discouragement for me and I imagine a lot of people are also under the impression that fat loss, without a gym membership, is impossible.

Misconceptions are incredibly harmful and I think if it was common knowledge that people would lose weight on nutrition alone, without the burden of having to exercise, then I think it'd go a long, long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Wibbs wrote: »
    Bejesus, you're certainly burning the up calories climbing up on that high horse of yours. Fúck me.

Like I noted on another thread where a few crawthumpers were peddling their virtue and polishing their halos it's easy to see where the church got its foot soldiers and zealots in times past.

Health bores are some of the most mind numbingly bone achingly tedious people one will ever have the misfortune to meet. Diet bores add another level of hell to the mix. Watching grey paint dry is akin to watching John Wayne with laser eyes shooting dinosaur in the head in cinemascope by comparison.

I already addressed this kind of attitude in Tactic 7, 8 and 9.

And in Tactic 11 as well.

May I remind you that my OP is about the obesity crisis.

I never mentioned anything about fat loss diets. Or fitness techniques. Or said anything at all about how to loose weight. In fact I never proclaimed to have any expertise in this area at all. So I can't really see how you can accuse me of being a 'health/fitness bore'. I certainly agree, there is such a thing as a 'fitness bore'.
    storker wrote: »
    Nailed it. It seems that one thing the human race will never be short of is people who just can't stand the way other people live.

What you are inadvertently doing here is accepting everything I said in my OP.

TACTIC 13

ANYONE WHO CRITIQUES THE OBESITY CRISIS IS TRYING TO RIDICULE AND CONTROL PEOPLES LIVES.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    It's pretty ironic that your man's username is 'learn more' and yet he hasn't bothered to learn anything about over eating before launching this mess of a thread.

And obviously chopping carrots and parsnips every day makes you an expert as to why people over eat, in the same way that barmen who pull pints are experts on alcoholism and the girls who work in Paddy Power are qualified to speak authoritatively about gambling addictions.

Wow.

Actually, I was chopping duck and truffles. But that's beside the point.
    The simplicity of cooking good food easily, which was my point, is obviously lost on you. I already tackled this attitude of yours in the OP, Tactic 1, playing dumb.
    Glenster wrote: »
    Immediately stopped reading at macros,

macros = a big, boring and ultimately ignorant rant about food science from someone who follows too many exercise people on snapchat

Tactic 1 again. Playing Dumb.

The word macros has only 5 letters, and it has a very simple meaning in terms of food content. But I wil try use sht r wds frm now on.
    Candie wrote: »
    I like how he's come right out with the IQ stuff, instead of just implying fat people are stupid as well as lazy, like the majority who've come out with exactly the same thing with different phrasing many times before.

Well if you hold a pre-conceived idea of the motivation of anyone who wan't to critique the obesity crisis, then that's up to you.
    OP, I'm sure you're a model of moral and physical superiority and AH is enriched and chastened by your insights. Thanks for sharing.

I am nothing of the kind and I never claimed to be.

I already tackled this attitude of your in a previous post but I'll state it again. Anyone who critiques the obesity crisis has some kind of superiority complex.

Actually, I was chopping duck and truffles. But that's beside the point.
    The simplicity of cooking good food easily, which was my point, is obviously lost on you. I already tackled this attitude of yours in the OP, Tactic 1, playing dumb.

It's not beside the point. The point is, why is someone who chops duck and truffles for a living offering lectures - because that's what they are - about the obesity crisis when he patently has no idea what he's talking about? Everything in your OP is opinion - everything! - and yet you dress it up as fact and go on about "tactics". Like, what are you on about mate. You'd hear more sense and balance from a taxi driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

It's not beside the point. The point is, why is someone who chops duck and truffles for a living offering lectures - because that's what they are - about the obesity crisis when he patently has no idea what he's talking about? Everything in your OP is opinion - everything! - and yet you dress it up as fact and go on about "tactics". Like, what are you on about mate. You'd hear more sense and balance from a taxi driver.

That "tactic" tactic is really annoying and farcical.

And OP every single one of your posts is presumptuous.
    We have brains too you know.

My opinion as I don't like posting off topic :

The obesity crisis, just like other crises like the binge drinking culture, or thrill seeking attitude, or fitness craze, or smoking, or STDs, or work-related stress, or ... open up a wider debate on how much one should intervene in another's life. Or how much society is entitled to intervene on others' lives.
    All of the above may have repercussions on the rest of society, yet imo there should be some respect shown for people's freedom in choosing a lifestyle.
    Inform and advise, and then let people live.
    The system/democracy should serve people, however they choose to live.
    That taxes should be collected to allow for that is fair enough, provided they are reasonable and fair.
    Fairness can be a bit of an issue.

• Advertisement

Well what's your problem with me voicing my opinion?

By your rhetoric only a Obesity Crisis professor can have an opinion on it.

TACTIC 14

Claim that anyone who voices an opinion about the obesity crisis is dumb, or a Taxi driver.

TACTIC 15

Say that noting is fact and everything is just a matter of 'opinion'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Tactic 16: Eat a bowl of Coco Pops in the middle of the night.
    Tactic 17: Try and guess what tactic 18 is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Anyone ever try the TICTAC diet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

TACTIC 15

Say that noting is fact and everything is just a matter of 'opinion'.

Mod

Tactic 16, make your point without being a dick. I suggest you start this one pretty sharpish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Tactic. Tactic.

Tactic.
    TACTIC.
    The word has lost all meaning.

Tactic 16: Eat a bowl of Coco Pops in the middle of the night.
    Tactic 17: Try and guess what tactic 18 is.

I'm starving! I'm always starving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I'm starving! I'm always starving!
    Have you tried eating? I hear it's important.

Too early, tea shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

I think it is breakfast roll morning.

Advertisement