Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heating broken,landlord says its my problem to fix

Options
  • 04-01-2017 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi,
    Having returned after the xmas to our rental property the gas heating wasnt working. I rang the E.A dealing with our lease to tell him the situation thinking he would send a plumber at the landlords expense. When i explained the problem he said the system was airlocked because i had turned the heating off over the xmas and therefore it was my issue to fix at my expense. I didnt argue as i didnt know where i stood. Is he right?

We have been renting this property the last 2 and a half years with no hassel and rent always paid early.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

How long did you have the heating off for? The answer may be irrelevant because I would presume it's the landlords responsibility unless they can prove you did some damage by misusing the equipment.

Not having heating on is perfectly legitimate in my eyes. It would also take quite a while to airlock a gas heating system wouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Just bleed the radiators be grand like, no point causing a scene 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭joeyboy12345

Theres no air in the rads, i opened the valves and no air came out! The heating was off for 4 or 5 days i suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

An airlocked heating system isn't a broken heating system. Simple to sort if you've access to Google. Expecting a londlord to fix it is up there with expecting him to come around and change a lightbulb for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lookinghere

Might be a simple fix

• Advertisement

endacl wrote:
    An airlocked heating system isn't a broken heating system. Simple to sort if you've access to Google. Expecting a londlord to fix it is up there with expecting him to come around and change a lightbulb for you.

Thank you for the reply, i dont know much about plumbing so excuse my lack of basic knowledge, how do i go about releaving it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Thank you for the reply, i dont know much about plumbing so excuse my lack of basic knowledge, how do i go about releaving it?

You need:

1 google
    1 hardware store
    1 radiator key
    A cloth (optional)
    A tub for radiator excrement (optional)

http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/central-heating/heating-air-lock.html

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lookinghere

You need:

1 google
    1 hardware store
    1 radiator key
    A cloth (optional)
    very detailed haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

fh041205 wrote: »
    Not having heating on is perfectly legitimate in my eyes.

What happens if OP was going away for 2 weeks and turned the heating off. It snowed and there was frost like the big freeze. For two winters in a row thousands of houses were destroyed as people turned off the heating and pipes burst. Not having the heating on for long periods of time in the middle of winter is a bit irresponsible

OP IMO this was not a repairs due the landlords fault or aged property, it was possible down to your actions. If the landlord is fair, maybe ask for him to split the bill ?

• Advertisement

newacc2015 wrote: »
    What happens if OP was going away for 2 weeks and turned the heating off. It snowed and there was frost like the big freeze. For two winters in a row thousands of houses were destroyed as people turned off the heating and pipes burst. Not having the heating on for long periods of time in the middle of winter is a bit irresponsible

OP IMO this was not a repairs due the landlords fault or aged property, it was possible down to your actions. If the landlord is fair, maybe ask for him to split the bill ?
    The weather's been pretty mild this winter....

newacc2015 wrote:

newacc2015 wrote:

Thank you for your point and i appreciate your input. Perhaps you are right and my actions were inapropriate! I must admit the heating is never on the timer,we usually just put it on when needed,perhaps that is something i should change! I just wanted to know what people thought!thank you all and thank you for the links, i will give it a go myself and see how i get on.

endacl wrote:
    The weather's been pretty mild this winter....

Its for this reason that the heating hasnt been on the timer, plus the fact its an exceptionally warm apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Hi,
    Having returned after the xmas to our rental property the gas heating wasnt working. I rang the E.A dealing with our lease to tell him the situation thinking he would send a plumber at the landlords expense. When i explained the problem he said the system was airlocked because i had turned the heating off over the xmas and therefore it was my issue to fix at my expense. I didnt argue as i didnt know where i stood. Is he right?

We have been renting this property the last 2 and a half years with no hassel and rent always paid early.

You have got to love these cowboy EA's.

Unless the EA has some higher sense of communication with electronical devices, he couldn't make that call over the phone. It might be common enough in some boilers set ups but given that yours was probably fine after the summer..

Do google how to reset the airlock, that's fair if you can manage it, but if you can't call the EA, google minimum standards for rental accommodation and RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sounds like a ****ty heating system. I've never had heating stop working because I turned it off for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Theres no air in the rads, i opened the valves and no air came out! The heating was off for 4 or 5 days i suppose!

Sounds like the boiler has locked out due to there being low or zero pressure in the system, most likely because of air being vented through automatic air vents on the pipework or possibly a small undetected leak.

To be honest it's not something I'd advise someone with zero knowledge of tackling because the filling valve for a heating system can sometimes be difficult to locate and is possibly disconnected depending on type.

It's about an hours work for a plumber as long as there is no leaks.

Do not under any circumstances pay for this yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lumen wrote: »
    Sounds like a ****ty heating system. I've never had heating stop working because I turned it off for a few days.

This whole heartedly

Are people implying the heating is to be run 365 days a year, if so i laugh in your face. I'll meet you in a pub buy you a pint but laugh in your face.

Heating system should not develop an airlock after a few days of non use.

When was this last serviced?

This is the landlords issue they are not qualified to say it stopped working because it was off. <mod snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Hi,

Is the agent a plumber ?

Anyone who thinks you can't switch off your heading for a few days without having a problem (especially with the mild Christmas) is an idiot.

Ignore the posters blaming you, it's laughable. They are neither plumbers or in possession of all the facts.

Once you have rules out its not an airlock in any of the radiators then Call the agent, tell him to inform the landlord as you are very cold at the property and the heating system isn't functioning.

Ive never had to deal with any major problems in the house as its in great condition so when i rang the E.A i kinda didnt know where i stood. I also didnt want to cause any hassel so i just took what he said for granted that it was my problem. It was only afterwards when i said it to the wife that she thought it shouldnt be our problem. By the way the boiler hasnt been serviced in the 2 and a half years weve been in the property. I definatly think thats the landlords issue and not mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ive never had to deal with any major problems in the house as its in great condition so when i rang the E.A i kinda didnt know where i stood. I also didnt want to cause any hassel so i just took what he said for granted that it was my problem. It was only afterwards when i said it to the wife that she thought it shouldnt be our problem. By the way the boiler hasnt been serviced in the 2 and a half years weve been in the property. I definatly think thats the landlords issue and not mine.

I'd imagine they service it only when it breaks down at the tenants expense.

<Mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

I don't put gas heating on for months of the year and never had this issue. Chancer, follow up in writing requesting heating to be fixed.

There are some right geniuses popping up here............
    You need:

1 google
    1 hardware store
    1 radiator key
    A cloth (optional)

He said there's no air in the rads.

OP, get on to the EA and tell him the system isn't airlocked and to arrange a plumber, take no sh1t off the fncker.

The rubbish spouted in here about central heating systems becoming airlocked after a short period of not being used is almost refreshing as it clarifies most of the spouters will launch off a speel about whatever takes their fancy even when they obviously have no idea what they are talking about.

Augeo wrote:
    There are some right geniuses popping up here............

In saying that i didnt bleed the pump so perhaps theres air in it??

When i turn the heating on the boiler fires up and you can see the flames through the looking glass. It stays on for about 2 to 3 mins and then cuts out if this gives any more indication as to what is happening.

Thanks to all for your input by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Is there a low pressure indicator? If it's easy to find, there should be a pressure gauge where mains water is let into the system. This should be (probably around) 1.1 bar (should be written on the boiler). A valve near this can be used to adjust the pressure. It's a common cause of this sort of thing.

TheChizler wrote:
    Is there a low pressure indicator? If it's easy to find, there should be a pressure gauge where mains water is let into the system. This should be (probably around) 1.1 bar (should be written on the boiler). A valve near this can be used to adjust the pressure. It's a common cause of this sort of thing.

Pressure is just above 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,011 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

endacl wrote: »
    Might be a simple fix
    You need:

1 google
    1 hardware store
    1 radiator key
    A cloth (optional)
    endacl wrote: »
    newacc2015 wrote: »

Plenty of helpful responses around these parts. All full of sh*t.

OP. tell the EA it's not a bleeding issue. Under no circumstances should you be out of pocket here. And despite some of the ridiculous responses, you are under no obligation to leave the heating on if not required, on the off-chance that doing so may render the system un-useable.

Augeo nailed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op very bad advice given by quite a few.

You need to ring ea or LL right away and also email or write a letter to either or both.

You need to only state heating is not working.

Has it been serviced in the time you are there if not do not use.

It needs to be serviced once a year and also if you don't have one get a carbon monoxide alarm right away.

Give them a few days to arrange a fix and if nothing keep contacting them with calls, emails and letters also texts are now also recognised for showing there are issues or that if ever needed to be followed up with court or RTB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

Not a good sign. But not bad either. Sounds like to me it may be the pump stuck or something simple enough for a plumber. What area you located in the country

Advertisement