Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not crawling

Options
  • 04-01-2017 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just looking for others experiences/reassurance really.

My 11 month old baby girl isn't crawling or pulling up on her own yet. I'm beginning to worry she might have a gross motor delay.
    She's flying everywhere else, feeding herself, babbling away,
    - mama/dada/baba, can stand when you hold her hands etc. can sit up from lying. she did take a little longer to roll over.
    She's quite happy to just sit in the one spot on the floor and play with whatever she can reach.

We've done tummy time from very early on too.

This far I haven't worried and know that all babies go at their own pace and just was thinking she was lazy 😊 but as we're getting nearer to 1 I'm starting to wonder.
    Last phn visit was around 7 months and she wasnt concerned but I think I'll give her a ring today And see what she says.

Just looking for others experiences or if anyone's been in the same boat and what was the outcome.

I know she will eventually walk etc. but I can't help looking at other babies that are up and all over the place some a bit older some a bit younger and get a bit worried (I know, I know)

I also know that technically crawling isn't a developmental milestone but you know yourself.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, this is the first time I've said this out loud -couldn't sleep last night thinking about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

My best friends baby was the same recently. A Great babbler but no interest in crawling. She started slowly at 12 months. Funnily enough it didn't delay walking much as she started soon after, so she didn't very little crawling over all.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Juicyfruit

Beanybabog wrote: »
    My best friends baby was the same recently. A Great babbler but no interest in crawling. She started slowly at 12 months. Funnily enough it didn't delay walking much as she started soon after, so she didn't very little crawling over all.

That's good to hear! Thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Your child seems to hit all of the other milestones so if you're still concerned ask the PHN to have a look. Try putting things out of reach and see how she gets on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Some babies are lazy! ;) My first crawled at about 11 months (thought she'd never get there) my second is 9 months and is crawling about 4 weeks now (I wish she'd stop ;) ). Plenty of kids I know didn't move much til later on. I do know of one child who never crawled simply because everything was always within reach or handed to her.....her parents in hindsight are now realising they probably should have made her work for it a bit more.

Does she roll over? Reach for things with her hands? You can try placing toys just out of her reach and seeing what she does. It probably needs to be a daily practice thing though. And if you really are that worried, you can certainly ring your PHN and see what they think. I realised my second is crawling much earlier simply because she spends way more time on the floor than my first. My first was later because, while she did spend time on the floor everyday, we probably did go out in the car and walking a lot....that's a lot harder with two, so you tend to be at home more. Make sure she's getting plenty of time on an open floor everyday, to allow her space to move around and strengthen up the muscles. That being said, it doesn't sound like she's got anything wrong with her, probably just a time thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rdhelp

If it has you worried definitely ring your phn. From my own experience, my little guy had a lot of medical issues, and attended physio from 3 months old. They considered crawling to be quite important. She told me it really helps to build strength in shoulders. She told me it can be the reason for bad handwriting in later life. Now in saying all that, I know of plenty of babies who never crawled and they're perfectly fine, they would shuffle along on their bum and then start walking. I'd say contact PHN, and she might just need a little bit of physio to get her going. They'll just teach you how to get her crawling. Took a lot of work to get my little fella going, just as the other ladies said putting toys out of reach, etc. But if you can get a few physio sessions privately if public wait is too long that's hopefully all you'd need. Best of luck with everything and try not to worry, sounds like she's doing great in all other areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sulli

our lil man was a lazy sod. No interest in crawling, did a little bum shuffle every once and a while. Didnt get going until 15 months but never looked back. All kids start at different stages, if they are hitting everything else, no need to worry. It will happen and the craziness will begin!

Thanks so much for all the replies, really appreciate it.

She's rolling over both ways although only in the last couple of months from back to front.

We do put things out of reach for her but if she can't reach she gets bored and distracted by other things, like marks in the wood on the floor haha

we have her on the floor a good bit although I definitely think she could do with more floor time.

I phoned phn today and I'm booked in to see the doctor tomorrow- they had a cancellation so think I got lucky calling when I did as she initially said wait time could be 6-8 weeks!

Hopefully all is ok, I'm sure it is but for whatever reason last night I was really worrying about it! Feeling a bit better now that we've the appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My 9 month old is exactly the same. He's mad to stand and is always trying to hop down and stand or walk with the help of one of us, but he has never liked being on his tummy, he either cries or sucks his thumb if we put him on his tummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Contact your phn for advice if you're worried but in general, babies have a large range for reaching those motor milestones.
    My boy "crawled" (really a military crawl) at 15 months, didn't walk til he was nearly 21 months.
    My 9 month old, on the other hand, has been crawling for the last month, and for the last week she's been trying to pull herself up to standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Have you tried the crawling tunnel from Ikea?
    My friend had to use it after the physio recommended it for her 1 year old who had never crawled. Her girl walked without ever crawling and as a consequence she wasn't able to get herself from sitting to standing. So the physio said she had to learn to crawl even though she could already walk!

Anyway the crawling tunnel from Ikea is meant to be great (or any crawling tunnel) it's great you give her lots of floor time and tummy time, both are great for their development

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

My son never crawled, neither did I, both of us went straight to walking at 11-12 months, nothing to worry about at all, I'm sure gp will tell you the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I wouldn't worry. Some kids just go straight to cruising and/or walking! My fella never wanted to sit by himself, I was worried that he couldn't but there was no issue there. He just wanted to be on the move instead!

Thanks for all the replies!

All seems to be ok, doctor reckons she may never crawl- she's on the chunky side so she thinks that might be a factor (breastfed so no concern for her weight)

Said she's flying everywhere else so no need to worry, just to keep trying with things out of reach and to practice standing and trying to get her cruising the furniture.

So feeling a lot better now.

Really appreciate all the reassurance and advice here too so thanks everyone!

ETA - she's also been referred for physio just to be on the safe side so we've just to wait for appointment to come but she thinks she might be on the go before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Juicyfruit wrote:
    Really appreciate all the reassurance and advice here too so thanks everyone!

Another thing that helps is to as much as possible leave them with no clothes on their legs as feet. I know it's hard in this cold weather but it's very difficult for the baby to get grip on a wooden floor with clothes on their feet and legs. A few minutes here and there will help.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Mine only pushed himself backwards for ages. He was nearly 11 months and only began forward crawling when he saw another child in creche do it.

He was also late to walk fully - cruised the furniture a lot but never letting go. I think he was near to 16 months when he finally walked. But once he did, it was sure and steady and never fell. My neighbour was smug that her toddler walked earlier than mine but honestly the kid would take three steps and lose balance and was still quite unsteady when my lad finally started to walk.

But they all get there in the end. No harm to get a PHN check just to put your mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭appledrop

Juicy fruit one of my nephews never crawled just went straight to walking. There was no problem he just wasn't interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

My daughter took her first steps at 14 months.
    She crawled for the first time at 18 months :p
    Around 11 months, she did start using the traction of her hands on the wooden floor to drag herself a bit. No developmental issues whatsoever, if anything an extremely clever child, she just decided that stuff was useless :pac:

My second little girl crawled at 9 months and only started cruising this month (she's 13 months old now) and is making no effort to stand on her own at all. Totally different babies :o

Advertisement