Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Plans for 2017

Options
  • 04-01-2017 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭

OK..now that everyone has pat themselves on the back for their cycling in 2016, its time now to lay out your Goals/ambitions for 2017!

I'll Start:

1. Aiming for 15,000k for the year
    2. Join the IVCA and do some Racing

Lets hear your plans..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

1. Aiming for 12,000 for the year
    2. Try to do at least 2 200k spins (previous best 162)
    3. Aiming for 100,000 climbing

Well its in writing now so lets see how the year goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

2017 Goals...

1. Take out Racing Licence
    2. 200km plus spin
    3. Become a better climber
    4. Enjoy it as much as last year
    5. Ride London 100
    6. Goal is 12,000km this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

1) Train 3 times a week (Train rather than just ride - stick with Trainerroad!)
    2) 5000km
    3) Get up to (and hold my own) in the top group in club spins
    4) New bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

1. Get the bike out of the garage
    2. And take it from there

😛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I'd never manage that kind of distance (10k kms +) unless I was commuting.
    I'd like to get maybe 7500-8000kms if I could, but I think quality over quantity is more important.

Complete the full length Maratona Dles Dolomites course. Only completed the mid distance course last time after missing a cutoff point, mainly due to faffing around, too many stops after taking ages to get over the start line because we were in the final starting pen. It broke my heart as I was flying and would have easily finished. Wont happen this time.

I might try a couple of races to see where I'm really at :)

A cycling holiday abroad somewhere, and do a few iconic climbs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

learn to wheelie properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Must lose the Christmas excess 5kgs, as a result of which more climbing more kms. Finally do a milen to mazin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

5000km last year so hoping for at least 6000 this year. Get back down to around 70kg. I've joined the local club, might take part in some of the club league races /TT.
    Mick Byrne 200. There, I've said it so I can't back out now.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed but might be getting back to Northern Spain for more Vuelta climbs later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

1. Train harder.
    2. Ride more.
    3. Haute Route - Alps

Not so much goals, as there's just the one, but the requirements to achieve that one goal are goals themselves...

Confused yet?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

1. To redo the 2016 Evil ride and finish it this time.
    2. To do a 400k ride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

1. To cycle 8,500k in 2017
    2. To take part on a 4 man team in RAI - August

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Doc07

Break 5000km
    Do half of the club league races
    Maybe do a 400km
    Marmotte

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Do an audax
    Take a minute (or more) off my 40km TT time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

London Edinburgh London, M2M and some more fixed gear riding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

12k for the year
    Race IVCA and hopefully get a few results
    Finally get the points to go to A3
    Ride abroad at least once this year
    GF Northern Ireland
    Race Cross again and try not to write off another rear mech
    Do more MTB
    Ride the steel bike a bit more
    Stay upright

That'll do for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Try to realise my full cycling potenial relative to my circumstances. Should be fun! Step one was last night when I charged up all my lights for a trip to Howth tonight!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my main one - learn how to look after the bike correctly. was around at humphries earlier pestering derek with idiotic questions. at least i bought stuff to earn his patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

M2M in one go

Euro Fred wrote: »
    M2M in one go

I have some hard earned experience of that one, if you want to pick someone's brain feel free to give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

nilhg wrote: »
    I have some hard earned experience of that one, if you want to pick someone's brain feel free to give me a shout.

Cheers, I'm looking at using Seamus' route from 2012 or close as to it as possible.

Just today i have emailed a few places about accommodation once i get that out of the way I'll relax a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Cheers, I'm looking at using Seamus' route from 2012 or close as to it as possible.

Just today i have emailed a few places about accommodation once i get that out of the way I'll relax a bit.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97384756&postcount=9

might be something useful there for you

my main one - learn how to look after the bike correctly. was around at humphries earlier pestering derek with idiotic questions. at least i bought stuff to earn his patience.

Are you the lad doing the ftp?

not that i'm aware of! you mean functional threshold power?

Don't want to pull the thread off topic but this was ours, TBH I'd never do that Strabane-Derry road again, though TBH we were on it on a Saturday evening with a rally on somewhere closeby, probably more than the usual quota of lunatics on it.

not that i'm aware of! you mean functional threshold power?

Ah, I was in there today also and there was a lad in there asking questions I thought it could have been you!

learn to wheelie properly.

After getting that on a motorbike, it just isnt the same on a bicycle!

Daroxtar wrote: »
    5000km last year so hoping for at least 6000 this year. Get back down to around 70kg. I've joined the local club, might take part in some of the club league races /TT.
    Mick Byrne 200. There, I've said it so I can't back out now.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed but might be getting back to Northern Spain for more Vuelta climbs later in the year.

Im hoping to do the MB200 too, the day after Slane! It will hurt! See you on the start line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• 1) Win some Vets races and get upgraded to Race 1
    • 2) Be competitive in A3 and score some points
    • 3) Win a club league race and get upgraded from the Limit/Semi Limit race to the Scratch/Super Scratch Race
    • 4) Complete 7.5k+ km in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

-To get my leg over the top tube and hope the bike doesn't crumple underneath me

-loose 2 stone by May & at some stage during the year be able to fit into my old boards jersey

-and big one is to be able to get past June and still be on the bike regularly. I've found last 3 years I go out early in the year and by summer I hardly used the bike and ended up sailing and drinking alot on weekends. Might actually use club this year for motivation to get out on a Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Mizen 2 malin in 3 days right up the middle, start of August

Advertisement