Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Plans for 2017

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

1. Cycle the Royal or Grand Canal start to finish
    2. Cycle second half of Wicklow Way (did first half last month)
    3.Get my climbing legs back leading (this feeds in to next goal)
    3. Put in a decent showing at the Boards Evil
    4. Learn to count

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

For the past few years illness and work travel have conspired to parent me achieving my main goal which has been a round the year Audax award (RRTY).
    This year I have amended my goals which are:
    1. Complete six Audax events
    2. Of the six events do at least the following as priority events: Pink Elephant, Wolf Tone West Cork, Long Heron.
    3. Complete at least one cycle of minimum 300km (but ideally an Easter flèche)
    4. Cycle 8000km during the year.
    5. Hopefully stay healthy and avoid debilitating illnesses - that in itself would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Well, I went and ordered my bike on the C2W scheme there, should be getting it hopefully in the next week or two... so basically my 2017 plan is to get out there and start cycling!

It's a hybrid and not sure it's suitable for anything crazy long distance but if I could get a 50km spin in by the summer I'd be pretty happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I've booked myself into the Amstel gold (150km route) and the l'eroica Limburg this year (did this last year). Both similar routes though one has significantly more off road divisions than cobbles.

Other than that I was pleased to see the a4 license option open to me again as I don't have the discipline, aptitude, confidence or ability for a3 - yes I'm lazy :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

GrandFondo Roma Oct 8th.
    3rd time lucky I hope. Health issues have restricted me the last two years and I have had to tootle round the short route .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Rad am Ring 24hr again this year...

Race Around Ireland too.....

and some A4 races in the middle of it....

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

No harm to write this stuff down. For me it's :

1. Hit 5000 km for the year. For the last few years I have never got above 4000.
    2. Keep up with a group going at 25kmph in Wicklow.
    3. Rejoin a club.
    4. Try out more club run sportives.
    5. Get down to and maintain weight at 85kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Well done everyone- Its written down now so there's no going back.
    Best of luck to everyone and safe cycling in 2017!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Esroh wrote: »
    GrandFondo Roma Oct 8th.
    3rd time lucky I hope. Health issues have restricted me the last two years and I have had to tootle round the short route .

Oooooo that looks very nice !

RobFowl wrote: »
    Oooooo that looks very nice !

It is good. May not be your Iconic Euro sportive but a great day out.Tough enough as its got a 6 hour time limit re full road closures and its not flat ;-).
    And a great excuse to visit Rome.
    Weather has been great (23degrees) and they have made us very welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Ride another Super Randonneur series up to 1,000km, including a Super 600 (600km with 10,000m of climbing with a 50hr time limit).
    Ride the two Dublin-Shannon canals and maybe a few other waterways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Ride another Super Randonneur series up to 1,000km, including a Super 600 (600km with 10,000m of climbing with a 50hr time limit).
    Ride the two Dublin-Shannon canals and maybe a few other waterways.

Where is the Super 600? Not easy to map in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

ford2600 wrote: »
    Where is the Super 600? Not easy to map in Ireland

Somewhere in the Cork/Kerry region. I'm up for doing that Super 600. I want a Randonnuer 10,000 medal. The first 200 of this year will be on Sunday. I'll be riding the East Wicklow permanent. I haven't fully planned out the year but RRTY no. 4 is the basic plan so I'll ride whatever fits into 12 months.

Somewhere in the Cork/Kerry region. I'm up for doing that Super 600. I want a Randonnuer 10,000 medal. The first 200 of this year will be on Sunday. I'll be riding the East Wicklow permanent. I haven't fully planned out the year but RRTY no. 4 is the basic plan so I'll ride whatever fits into 12 months.

Best of luck with all that.

Don't see where a super 600 is doable in Cork Kerry without a lot of repetition? Any draft map going via pm if you like?

Even Stuart has only 4000m climbing in 300km.

I'll have a go later tonight once I test this IQ-X

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

ford2600 wrote: »
    Best of luck with all that.

Don't see where a super 600 is doable in Cork Kerry without a lot of repetition? Any draft map going via pm if you like?

Even Stuart has only 4000m climbing in 300km.

I'll have a go later tonight once I test this IQ-X

Wasn't aware there was a super600 planned for Ireland.
    I just tried mapping several routes on RWGPS and I am confident that taking in every climb on the Iveragh Beara peninsula as well as Shehy mountains including Mullaghanish does not get anywhere near 10000m.
    Most I can get is 6500m
    I reckon such an event is impossible in Ireland. That said I've done 210km in the Pyrenees with 5500m and just three climbs.

guanciale wrote: »
    Wasn't aware there was a super600 planned for Ireland.
    I just tried mapping several routes on RWGPS and I am confident that taking in every climb on the Iveragh Beara peninsula as well as Shehy mountains including Mullaghanish does not get anywhere near 10000m.
    Most I can get is 6500m
    I reckon such an event is impossible in Ireland. That said I've done 210km in the Pyrenees with 5500m and just three climbs.

Guess your a nicer guy than me.

With a bit of thought might be possible, this took me 5 mins, still over 1000m short. Priest's Leap in both directions, and the hardest way with over 500km in legs..
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18391018

http://www.audax-club-parisien.com/EN/421%20-%20General%20Super%20Randonnée.html

No UK or Irish rides on list, plenty in Europe though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I presume no extra charge for the last 48 KM :)

super600_zpsuw7s02wv.jpg

Don't think this is the approved ride though..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Cycle over 8,000km
    Climb over 100,000m
    Get the average speed comfortably over the 25km/h mark
    At least 1 Double Century
    The WW200
    No silly self inflicted injuries :o

Esroh wrote: »
    GrandFondo Roma Oct 8th.
    Not sure how everyone else got on but I'm just back from Rome.
    I got round but was 20 min outside the 6 hours. Just not able for the climbing.
    2018 is in May to coincide with Final Giro Stage finish in Vatican so I'll try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

dahat wrote: »
    2017 Goals...

1. Take out Racing Licence
    2. 200km plus spin
    3. Become a better climber
    4. Enjoy it as much as last year
    5. Ride London 100
    6. Goal is 12,000km this year.

All achieved bar 5& 6 with those being unattainable now.
    I went and won an A4 race so that's a massive year for me on that alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Thanks for bumping this, as I was start to plan 2018 goals yesterday - I was thinking of 5-6000 km for the year and saw the 10-12k goals from the early posters. How the hell can you reach that?!

I'd find it impossible to cover 200k per week consistently. Do you achieve it via commuting & weekend spins, competitions? Would live to hear how you work it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Ranjo wrote: »
    Thanks for bumping this, as I was start to plan 2018 goals yesterday - I was thinking of 5-6000 km for the year and saw the 10-12k goals from the early posters. How the hell can you reach that?!

I'd find it impossible to cover 200k per week consistently. Do you achieve it via commuting & weekend spins, competitions? Would live to hear how you work it.

i hadn't set any goals in here but had a target in my mind of 5000km. my only way of achieving that is through commuting combined with the odd weekend spin.

will set more ambitious goals for next year when that thread starts and will then be interesting to look back at the end of year a la this thread and see how i went!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I should break the 11,000k mark this weekend. You do it by cycling everywhere, every day of the week! :)

Join a cycling club, commute to/from work by bike and go out on weekends on club spins and it soon clocks up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

terrydel wrote: »
    I'd never manage that kind of distance (10k kms +) unless I was commuting.
    I'd like to get maybe 7500-8000kms if I could, but I think quality over quantity is more important.

Complete the full length Maratona Dles Dolomites course. Only completed the mid distance course last time after missing a cutoff point, mainly due to faffing around, too many stops after taking ages to get over the start line because we were in the final starting pen. It broke my heart as I was flying and would have easily finished. Wont happen this time.

I might try a couple of races to see where I'm really at :)

A cycling holiday abroad somewhere, and do a few iconic climbs.

6000km and change done so far, its possible I'll get the 7500 if I get some longer spins in at weekends.
    Completed the full Maratona course in a time way better than expected so thats the best achievement I've managed this year, along with general, tangible overall improvement.
    Didnt bother with racing, couldnt really fit it in.
    No holiday abroad as yet, and looking unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Boscoirl wrote: »
    1. Get the bike out of the garage
    2. And take it from there

��

Managed to achieve this,

once i got going i set myself a target of 5000Km for the year with a reward of buying myself a new bike once I got there. I joined the local club and was flying it up until August when stuff started getting in the way, have ~3900Km done so far, which is more than the previous 3 years combined, so happy out,

Having started with the beginners group in the club, i have progressed to hanging on to the back of the group of fast lads.

I managed to lose almost 10Kg, but still hovering over 100Kg mark, hope to get below it soon.

there is still time for me to hit my target, just need to get the finger out at the weekends.

Overall its been a great year cycling so far

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Macy0161 wrote: »

1) Train 3 times a week (Train rather than just ride - stick with Trainerroad!)
    2) 5000km
    3) Get up to (and hold my own) in the top group in club spins
    4) New bike
    1) Generally have done
    2) Approaching 4000km now (including turbo estimates), so probably won't at this stage
    3) Tend to go with an earlier group. If I was going at the later time, it's who I'd go with though!
    4) tbc. Looking like a full suss mtb at the moment rather than road tbh! But then again, it was nearly a CX when reading about the Weevil :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Commuting racks up the mileage.

I've 14,500km on the clock YTD, about half of which is commuting (44/45km per day). On track for about 19,000km.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I should break the 11,000k mark this weekend. You do it by cycling everywhere, every day of the week! :)

Join a cycling club, commute to/from work by bike and go out on weekends on club spins and it soon clocks up.

I cycle loads, but even between a 36km commute 2-3 times a week and 1-2 times per month long spin of 50-100k it amounts to around 6k per year.

I'm also planning to join a cycle club next month (after hols) and look forwar to some club comps next year. Instead of distance goal, I'm going for

1. Club comps
    2. Wicklow 200
    3. Improve average speed on long spins (currently about 27km/hr)

I do triathlons too, so don't want to overdo cycling goals as I have tri goals too.. !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

07Lapierre wrote: »

Get to 65, retire from work, join a good cycling club that's interested in more than racing, and get out on club spins as often as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement