Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road bike commuting with MTB pedals and shoes

Options
  • 04-01-2017 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭

I wouldn't be comfortable cycling in traffic with my regular road shoes and cleats (Look KEO easy), particularly for snapping in quick on take off.

But someone I know suggested using MTB shoes and cleats as they are allegedly more user-friendly for this kind of thing. Plus - I am told - it is possible to get a flatter profile on the MTB shoe and cleat which makes walking in them less hardship than walking in a road shoe / cleat.

I know nothing about MTB footwear and pedals and would appreciate any opinion or advice with this!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i use SPD on all my bikes, they're relatively easy to walk around in; the cleat on the shoe is recessed enough that i'm walking on the rubber of the sole, rather than the cleat, when i get off the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I commute with MTB spd pedals and shoes as I have to walk from the bike park to the office. When commuting using any of my other bikes (look) I use a pair of old Birkenstocks (the iPhone of sandals :-) ) that I lock to my lock if you get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Idleater wrote: »
    I commute with MTB spd pedals and shoes as I have to walk from the bike park to the office. When commuting using any of my other bikes (look) I use a pair of old Birkenstocks (the iPhone of sandals :-) ) that I lock to my lock if you get me.

Brilliant!!! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I wouldn't be comfortable cycling in traffic with my regular road shoes and cleats (Look KEO easy), particularly for snapping in quick on take off.

But someone I know suggested using MTB shoes and cleats as they are allegedly more user-friendly for this kind of thing. Plus - I am told - it is possible to get a flatter profile on the MTB shoe and cleat which makes walking in them less hardship than walking in a road shoe / cleat.

I know nothing about MTB footwear and pedals and would appreciate any opinion or advice with this!

SPD pedals are very handy in traffic and can be setup to get in and out of very easily. Something like the A530 might be a good option for what you're after as it has a flat side and cleated side. Personally, I like M424 which are cheap, realiable, easy to use and also ok with regular shoes, if somewhat fugly on the good bike. If you use SH-56 cleats, unclipping becomes easier still.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Likewise, on the odd day I use my 'good' bike, which has Look Keo's, commuting is a nightmare.

SPD is the only way for a commuter. I have these:

http://www.wiggle.com/shimano-pd-m530-mtb-spd-trail-pedals/

I've used these previously:

http://www.wiggle.com/shimano-m424-spd-pedals/

I used a bog standdard pair of Shimano shoes most of the year, also have a set of SIDI Diablos - They're handy as a winter boot - good for rain as they're Goretex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Great advice all, thanks! I'll let you know the outcome of this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

SPDs for commuting for me as well - Used SPD-SLs for a while but the cleats lasted no time with all the extra walking up and down to the office.

Pedals and shoes (although I have an older model)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I've posted about this a few times, but at the risk of being a bore, BMX-style pedals and rubber-soled shoes are really pretty good. Maybe the odd minor slip off the pedal in very wet weather, but good retention, and no retention mechanism, and normal shoes.

This guy summed it up, which saves me doing it:
    https://theeverydaycyclist.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/review-wellgo-lu987-flat-pedals/

(I did open up those LU987s and grease them properly after a week of use. Other Wellgo BMX-style pedals I have bought were ok with no alteration for over a year after purchase, and with annual cleaning out and re-greasing, have all lasted for many years.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

Yep - SPDs for my commute too!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I use SPD SLs and either have a pair of cleat covers or just have runners in my bag for the walk in. Unless you have a trek and cannot carry runners or cleat covers, I can't see the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I use SPD SLs commuting and have never had a problem. I've had the same pair of cleats for over a year although when I get to work I cycle right inside and only have a 20m walk across a tiled floor to the locker room.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what does the SL in SPD SL stand for?

what does the SL in SPD SL stand for?

Take your pick........... http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-does-spd-sl-actually-stand-for.94914/ :D

so what are the benefits of other systems? just the stiffer soles?

edit: reason for asking - for commuting, is there anything to pick between them?

so what are the benefits of other systems? just the stiffer soles?

edit: reason for asking - for commuting, is there anything to pick between them?

I've never used SPD so I can't say but the larger pedal platform seems to be the advantage.

A friend of mine changed from SPD to SL (for longer weekend spins rather than commuting) and is convinced that the SL are better - although he didn't clarify what 'better' is and maybe just wanted to justify his purchase!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

SL - can handle Stronger Legs

Advertisement