Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2011 VW Passat 1.6tdi chugging when idle. Any ideas?

Options
  • 04-01-2017 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Recently, my Passat has been slightly chugging when idle. Revs seem to be fine, and remain constant while idle. Thought it might have been the cold mornings, but it doesn't seem to be that.
    When I accelerate the car still runs very smoothly, and there are no error lights displaying on the dashboard.

I plan on taking the car to the local mechanic on Saturday morning, however I thought I would see if a diagnosis could be made beforehand. (to put my mind at easy :confused:)

Any ideas on what it could be.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not DIY effort, moved to main forum.

If there are no lights on dash it is probably not a major issue. When was car serviced last?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭all the bais

Thanks for the input, Biko.

Car last serviced in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Does it happen when car is started cold in the mornings or also when car is warmed up?
    What RPM does it idle at?
    Does it "hunt" (the RPMs goes up and down) when idling?

biko wrote: »
    Does it happen when car is started cold in the mornings or also when car is warmed up?
    What RPM does it idle at?
    Does it "hunt" (the RPMs goes up and down) when idling?

Yes, it happens in both cold mornings, and when it's warmed up.
    From memory, RPM is below 1000 when idle, and it doesn't hunt at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Check to see if the coolant level is ok. Could be the first sign of EGR or water pump failure which are very common with that engine and both give similar symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

Sounds like the idle air control valve is sticking. Get yourself a can of carb cleaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

dre_jspeed wrote: »
    Sounds like the idle air control valve is sticking. Get yourself a can of carb cleaner.

The iacv being the valve that controls the idle airflow when the cable controlled throttle is closed yeah?

;-)

Much appreciated folks.

The iacv being the valve that controls the idle airflow when the cable controlled throttle is closed yeah?

;-)

Yes, they were notorious sticking on the older VW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

dre_jspeed wrote: »
    Yes, they were notorious sticking on the older VW

When did they make the last vw diesel with a cable controlled throttle and iacv do you know?

• Advertisement

When did they make the last vw diesel with a cable controlled throttle and iacv do you know?

My bad, this is a diesel ignore my comments so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Injectors are known to give problems on a 1.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

If the revs are holding steady I'd be worried it's the flywheel.

Evening folks. Just back from the garage and it was indeed an injector problem. £275 Plus Labour to replace, totalling £325.

Advertisement