Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying off Neighbours Family

Options
  • 04-01-2017 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Long story short neighbour passed away a few months ago. We heard from our other neighbours that her sons are either going to rent out or sell the house.

The house is perfect for us.

I would like to talk to them to about potentially buying the house but do not know them very well, they are never in the house and I nor other neighbours have their contact details.

Would a letter left in the letterbox be a bit insensitive? I wouldn't even know where to begin drafting such a letter or what to say in it :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I would say unless the house is in the middle of nowhere with no market the family will place the house on open sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

For reason I wont get into the market is not great in this area. However more importantly in my eyes is that apparently one brother wants to sell one wants to rent until the market improves (which I doubt it will as houses are going for around the same as peak prices).

So my thinking is that meeting with them or whatever may help them lean to selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

I know of a similar case a few years ago where someone got a solicitor to send a letter to the inheritors stating that they had a client interested in the property. A sale was agreed privately. It never went to open market.

It MIGHT work for you. And if it doesn't, you can always make an offer if it goes to open market.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

If you dont ask, you dont get. Private sales reduce a lot of the cost to the vendor. No EA fees for instance so that could save them a few grand. I think doing it through a solicitor is a good idea as it keeps it business like.

Generally, you will get a valuation done, they will and you come to an agreement. No harm in asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I would try and meet them in person if at all possible.
    Most people appreciate the personal touch, I can't see how it would work against you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Askthe EA wrote: »
    If you dont ask, you dont get. Private sales reduce a lot of the cost to the vendor. No EA fees for instance so that could save them a few grand. I think doing it through a solicitor is a good idea as it keeps it business like.

I dont get this at all. If I was selling a house and someone came knocking on my door to make an offer. Unless it was ridiculously high, I would want to put it on the market. I personally would be delighted to pay a 1% sales fee plus VAT, a BER and a small bit of marketing to ensure that I absolutely got the best price for my house.

I know people who get valuations from good valuers and yet when the house goes on the market, it achieves 20-25% more than the valuation. The valuation on paper is not the market value

For me selling a house, the few thousand to an estate agent is more than worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I dont get this at all. If I was selling a house and someone came knocking on my door to make an offer. Unless it was ridiculously high, I would want to put it on the market. I personally would be delighted to pay a 1% sales fee plus VAT, a BER and a small bit of marketing to ensure that I absolutely got the best price for my house.

I know people who get valuations from good valuers and yet when the house goes on the market, it achieves 20-25% more than the valuation. The valuation on paper is not the market value

For me selling a house, the few thousand to an estate agent is more than worth it.

Nowt as queer as folk.

I've heard of sellers asking for things as minor as no For Sale sign, all the way to only willing to sell to local people with families. I don't get it either tbh, but it does happen.

I remember a discussion here a while back (years) where people were saying they were embarrassed to be selling their house, I still can't wrap my head around that one.

newacc2015 wrote: »

There are a lot of variables. I dont work for 1% unless its a high value asset, most agents outside of Dublin dont. You're looking at 1.5 - 2% and marketing of say €500. You need a BER & Solicitor anyway so we'll ignore those costs. Lets just say the open market value of the house is €300k. 1.5% + VAT is €4500 + VAT = €5535 + Marketing €500 = €6035

So, by selling it privately you save €6,000 not to be sniffed at I would have thought? Its a fair point that you'll never know what it would have achieved on the open market if you sell privately however. There are also other, shall we say, enticements that can be agreed privately that may make it even more attractive to a seller. I'll say no more! ;)

I'm more getting at perhaps getting the brothers to lean to selling rather than renting out.

I am fine if it goes to open market.

big syke wrote: »
    I'm more getting at perhaps getting the brothers to lean to selling rather than renting out.

I am fine if it goes to open market.

Oh yeah of course and if they dont want to hang onto it then a quick stressless sale might strengthen their resolve. Eitherway, its not going to hurt you to ask. Carefully! ;-)

• Advertisement

Carefully! ;-)

That's the issue!!!Im so bad at this stuff!!! :(

Do you know any of them well? Have a mutual friend? Know where they drink??

Do you know any of them well? Have a mutual friend? Know where they drink??

No they live fair bit away and I think one lives in England. I am thinking a nicely worded letter or something

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Just draft a simple letter indicating your interest in buying the property. Possibly a brief introduction if they wont know you by your name.

Indicate you want to have a meeting to discuss it and they are free to call over to your house etc.

Obviously leave your contact details.

No they live fair bit away and I think one lives in England. I am thinking a nicely worded letter or something

I think so too. Id begin by saying how you knew the deceased and that you are sorry blah..blah... Keep it fairly light but respectful.

OK I have drafted a letter....

Dear Sirs,

Firstly please allow us to introduce ourselves we are xxxx and xxx from a few doors up in Number xxxxxxx.

We are very sorry for the loss of your mother last year.

I was talking to one of our neighbours and believe you are thinking of selling your late mothers house.

We have recently been approved for a mortgage and would love the opportunity to buy Number xxx on our road (our daughter goes to school in xxxx and our families live and grew up in the vicinity)

If you are interested in talking to us about potentially selling the house to us please contact me anytime at xxxx or xxxxx or call up day or evening anytime.

Kindest Regards,

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

OK I have drafted a letter....

Dear Sirs,

Firstly please allow us to introduce ourselves we are xxxx and xxx from a few doors up in Number xxxxxxx.

We are very sorry for the loss of your mother last year.

I was talking to one of our neighbours and believe you may be considering selling your late mothers house.

We have recently been approved for a mortgage and would love the opportunity to buy Number xxx on our road (our daughter goes to school in xxxx and our families live and grew up in the vicinity)

If you are interested in talking to us about potentially selling the house to us please contact me anytime at xxxx or xxxxx or call up day or evening anytime.

Kindest Regards,

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Id soften it a bit..

Dear Sirs,

We are very sorry for the loss of your mother last year we spoke to her on a number of occasions [insert nice memory here] and she was a lovely woman, she is missed in the area

I was talking to one of our neighbours and believe you are thinking of selling your late mothers house. who mentioned that you were considering selling your mothers home

We love living in the area,(our daughter goes to school in xxxx and our families live and grew up in the vicinity)have recently been approved for a mortgage and would love the opportunity to discuss the matter further, if it was something you might considerbuy Number xxx on our road

Kindest Regards,

xxxxxxxxxxxxx[/QUOTE]

Advertisement