Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from PhoneWatch

Options
  • 04-01-2017 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭

I see a lot of threads on here about PhoneWatch alternatives.

I usually do a lot of research before signing up to something but we had just moved into our house and it was very easy to have PhoneWatch come out and replace their old system with a new one. The gf did most of the legwork on this one as I was sorting other things. I didn't see their terms at the time but from threads on here believe that we don't own the equipment. We paid a lot of money, think it was around €500 for installation.

I'll fish out the contract and have a good read of it but I was never too happy just being stuck with them. I'm comfortable with the fact that we can't secure the perimeter when we're inside, especially after a recent attempt to break into our shed. There are sensors on the windows and doors in the house but we don't have an option to just set those. We either set full alarm when we go out or leave the upstairs sensor off at night so we can go to the bathroom.

I have already switched electricity and gas supplier. I like keeping companies on their toes.

What are my options at this stage? I know we can't just switch to a new monitoring company as we have their new system.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Yes have a good read of that contract, when was this system updated?

Do you know are those sensors on your windows the original ones or are they new?
    What are you paying them every month?

The big issue here is, no one else can monitor that system, no one else can service that system, no one else can repair that system.

Sorry but they have you over a barrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

We're with them around a year and a half now. Sensors were replaced with new ones.

We're paying around €40 a month.

I'm aware that with this system, we're stuck with them but I would like to look into alternatives and maybe get rid of Phonewatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

There is nothing on that system compatible with any other manufactures equipment.

All i could suggest to you would be to shop around for a new system but agree with your chosen installer that you want full access to the system so therefore if you want to continue to shop around like with your other providers, you can do that.

I know you are taking a hit here but you are currently splashing out € 480 a year, so you will get your money back eventually and save in the long term.

Advertisement