Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New lawn weed problem

Options
  • 04-01-2017 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for some advice with some lawn problems I'm having. Last September I reseeded my back lawn and with the mild autumn/winter it is thriving, the odd weed here and there but nothing major. In the front, the previous owner had lots of flower beds in the lawn but I wanted to restore the lawn so I dug them out and reseeded. I also did this with some rather large borders.
    The problem is that these two places are now overrun with weeds killing off my new grass. They're not big weeds but they are definitely stunting the growth of the grass. I had expected the front grass to grow better as it gets more light but the opposite has happened.

Is it too early to apply weed killers and if not, what brands would you recommend?

If I can be so cheeky as to ask for more advice,I'm also have trouble with residual plants appearing from bulbs where the old flower beds were. When I dug them beds out I tried to get every bulb I could but this was impossible, there were thousands of them, no exaggeration. I took out big clumps of bulbs the size of footballs.
    Is there any way of killing these bulbs now that they have started to sprout? I tried a bit of roundup on a few but it doesn't seem to have any effect.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

have you mowed it at all yet? I think the bulbs will get fed up and die off naturally after they have been mowed a few time. Mowing is a good way of getting rid of new weeds too. I'm not sure about weedkiller at this time of year, probably someone else will be able to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭bodun

No I haven't mowed it yet, it was still a bit soft before Christmas. These bulbs are determined though, they have managed to come up through a couple of inches of bark I have in another area!

Advertisement