Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformer for US Kitchen Appliance

Options
  • 04-01-2017 1:32pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some advice please.

Some US friends just bought us a lovely KitchenAid stand mixer.

However as they purchased it in the US it's a 110v unit (350watt)

Some quick research online is giving me mixed info.. Some suggest that you can simply buy a transformer but others say that the unit will overheat and damage the motor.

Is is just a matter of getting the 'right' transformer with sufficient power to provide the correct volts/amps/wattage or should I just look to return the unit and get a UK/IE version?

Thanks in advance..

Mods - Please feel free to move this post of it's in the wrong place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Those transformers are available to buy - you need to make sure that the wattage is more than 350W so maybe go for a 500W model. Specs' may mention 'VA' - more less the same as watts.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

coylemj wrote: »
    Those transformers are available to buy - you need to make sure that the wattage is more than 350W so maybe go for a 500W model. Specs' may mention 'VA' - more less the same as watts.

Thanks, so as long as I buy an appropriately rated transformer there shouldn't be any problem?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If you have the option to return / exchange it for a EU spec one then I'd consider that before buying a transformer.

US domestic is 100-120V AC / 60Hz, but it's also CTE which means its never more than 60V above earth and the appliances don't need as much insulation / shock protection as EU spec.

The 60Hz (US) vs 50Hz (here) also means it will run at a slower speed and will possibly consume slightly more power than it is rated for - I don't think it would be an issue but that's where the 'overheating' issue stems from.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

I concur that if you want to use this item you need a 500 VA transformer (230 volt to 110 volt)

You can source such a transformer on the net

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

adrian92 wrote: »
    I concur that if you want to use this item you need a 500 VA transformer (230 volt to 110 volt)

You can source such a transformer on the net

Thanks.. I've seen a few online with ratings of 500,750 and 1000 VA.

If I go for a 750 rated unit, which costs about €60 on Amazon that should give me plenty of buffer right..

I assume that having an even higher rated unit would further reduce the load on everything?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Steve wrote: »
    If you have the option to return / exchange it for a EU spec one then I'd consider that before buying a transformer.

+ 1
    US domestic is 100-120V AC / 60Hz, but it's also CTE which means its never more than 60V above earth and the appliances don't need as much insulation / shock protection as EU spec.

Most of the 110V transformers are center tapped so not an issue, certainly all 110V site transformers are. I can't see insulation being reduced just because the supply is from a center tapped transformer. I would expect the insulation to be > 1 mega ohms at 1 kV.

Thanks for all the input..

It looks like return/swap isn't really a viable option so the transformer route looks like my choice.

Based on what I get from the comments and from some more extensive online research it would seem that the best option is to go for the biggest transformer I can get to minimise the load on the motor etc.

The unit is rated at 325w max (misspoke earlier) and based on research the guidance seems to be to get a transformer that would be at no more than ~60℅ capacity when the unit is running full power..

That would suggest that 500VA would be the minimum level but moving up to a 750 or 1000VA device seems to make sense to me.

They look to cost around €80 delivered via Amazon..

As I got the mixer as a gift, spending that much seems to be worth it I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Thanks for all the input..

It looks like return/swap isn't really a viable option so the transformer route looks like my choice.

Based on what I get from the comments and from some more extensive online research it would seem that the best option is to go for the biggest transformer I can get to minimise the load on the motor etc.

The unit is rated at 325w max (misspoke earlier) and based on research the guidance seems to be to get a transformer that would be at no more than ~60℅ capacity when the unit is running full power..

That would suggest that 500VA would be the minimum level but moving up to a 750 or 1000VA device seems to make sense to me.

They look to cost around €80 delivered via Amazon..

As I got the mixer as a gift, spending that much seems to be worth it I think...
    500va should be enough unless you think the mixer is going to be running for long periods continuous. 750 is more than enough even at that level of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bruthal wrote: »
    500va should be enough unless you think the mixer is going to be running for long periods continuous. 750 is more than enough even at that level of use.

+1 consuming 325W (OP's revised rating) would represent only 65% of the capacity of a 500W transformer so would be perfectly fine. You'd hardly ever run a KitchenAid or any food mixer at full speed for more than a minute.

Advertisement