Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not being paid to attend office

Options
  • 04-01-2017 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I get paid by the hour and milage.

The company requested my presence at their office for a meeting. I attended. They refuse to pay for time or milage (milage between office and next site)

Is this legal?

is this legal? 13 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭renov8

You'll need to give a little more information. Is the company's office your normal base for work or are you 'home-based'? What's in your contract? If you are travelling a lot and rarely in the office this does not mean that the office is not your base. If it is your base, then I don't see why they would pay you to go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

We have no idea if you are an employee or a contractor or what you are. Give us info we will help!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,925 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

From where is your time/milage counted. I know in my company it is counted from the office out. For example, a mate lives in the north and travels down to our office in Dublin every other day. He was doing a college spot in Derry a couple of months back and his milage was calculated from the Dublin office to Derry, not from his home up north (so it worked out great for him!). Basically, in our case, travelling to the office is considered basic commuter travel, it is milage out from there that is counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭themusicman

From where is your time/milage counted. I know in my company it is counted from the office out. For example, a mate lives in the north and travels down to our office in Dublin every other day. He was doing a college spot in Derry a couple of months back and his milage was calculated from the Dublin office to Derry, not from his home up north (so it worked out great for him!). Basically, in our case, travelling to the office is considered basic commuter travel, it is milage out from there that is counted.

That does however create revenue difficulties

Payment of a milage allowance....tax free....is calculated on the basis of the trip being made from your registered place of work or home address....whichever is the shorter distance....

Technically speaking your mate needed to drive to the office every day...and then travel to the site.....and revenue are getting interested in this area....I know...from experience...having been left with a liability

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm an employee. My contract states place of work is the office and/or other sites. I am rarely in the office (only if they request a meeting, about once a month)

I am not looking to get paid for travel to the office but for

a) time spent in the office
    And
    B) travel from office to next appointment

• Advertisement

I have another query. If I am expected to work and the employer claims it's unpaid, can i ask for a receipt for my "donation" to the company.

To claim charity donations off my tax :rolleyes: or a better excuse if i can think of one. i want my unpaid hours acknowledged in some way. Along with visits to the office being "voluntary", other hours are not being paid for.

Can i assume unpaid duties are optional, voluntary and not a core/vital part of the role?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭renov8

Ashowerof wrote: »
    I'm an employee. My contract states place of work is the office and/or other sites. I am rarely in the office (only if they request a meeting, about once a month)

I am not looking to get paid for travel to the office but for

a) time spent in the office
    And
    B) travel from office to next appointment

In that case, I would certainly say you should be paid. Can't see what rationale the employer would have for not doing so.

I would expect to be paid for that too.

How badly do you need this job?

Next time they want you to come into the office ask if you will be paid for your time - If they say no just don't go in.

The latest: I have an email from employer stating they don't pay for "meetings or travel from there to next site"

For daring to question unpaid hours, my hours have been cut from monday. The reasons cited were

a) A colleague announced friday they'll be returning from their maternity leave monday

b) A client requested said colleague ( This is untrue, I've spoken to the client. The client contacted the company and called them out on their lies, as they were more than happy with my work)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Is the office your base? If it is, then employers don't usually pay for you to travel to your base.

Sounds like the writing is on the wall, if someone is returning from maternity leave she is entitled to the same job/conditions that she had before she left so you can't argue with that. Time to move on.

• Advertisement

davo10 wrote: »
    Is the office your base? If it is, then employers don't usually pay for you to travel to your base.

Sounds like the writing is on the wall, if someone is returning from maternity leave she is entitled to the same job/conditions that she had before she left so you can't argue with that. Time to move on.

a) no the office is not my base
    b) i'm not looking to get paid for travel to the office
    c) The employer would have had more than 1 day notice of the date that maternity leave was ending

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

a) no the office is not my base
    b) i'm not looking to get paid for travel to the office
    c) The employer would have had more than 1 day notice of the date that maternity leave was ending

Where is your base?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Deagol

Stheno wrote: »
    Where is your base?

See post #6 I am usually based at clients sites. Only attend office when they request meetings.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

See post #6 I am usually based at clients sites. Only attend office when they request meetings.

But your companies main office would be considered your base if you are working on multiple sites

Stheno wrote: »
    But your companies main office would be considered your base if you are working on multiple sites

Would you expect to be compensated for mileage between the office and the next clients site?

Would you expect to be paid for time spent at the office?

(if the point being made is I should not expect mileage for travelling to my base, let me clarify, This is not what I am looking for)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This sounds mental.

You get paid by the hour, but they don't count when you go to head office to attend meetings?

Maybe reject meeting requests at HO and dial in from the road or remotely? Would they consider that on the clock, or they just don't pay staff for attending HO? That sounds so bizarre, your clearly on the clock.

Would you expect to be compensated for mileage between the office and the next clients site?

Would you expect to be paid for time spent at the office?

(if the point being made is I should not expect mileage for travelling to my base, let me clarify, This is not what I am looking for)

Yes I would for both

However I worked for one company who paid no mileage if the journey was within the general Dublin area!

And Revenue brought in limits on mileage allowances last year depending on how close the base office and client site is.

What's the distance between your home office base and the client site you were travelling to and back from?

Advertisement