Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Clearance issues.

Options
  • 04-01-2017 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Hope someone might provide some clarity on this.

My wife started a position with the NHS that required garda clearance.

So far so good.

Now when we were in Australia a few years ago we applied and got a garda clearance form. It was awkward to get, we printed off the form, filled it out, sent it to a relative who posted it with a stamped self addressed envelop. they'd get back the cert from the gards and then post it on to us in Australia. Real around the houses stuff but we got it.

Anyway we're the UK and did the same but got back a reply saying they only do that form for visa applications outside the EU. So we were directed to another online form, something about a data protection act.

anyway got back the form and now we're more confused than anything.

The headed letter from An Garda Síochána stated that they found no criminal record for the name and addresses provided but also stated in bold:
    This document should not be construed as Proof of Convictions, a Police Certificate, a Garda reference or Garda Vetting.

This is most frustrating. She applied online for a police clearance cert for the years we were in Australia and had it back in the post in two weeks. Zero ambiguity involved.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Dave0301

catbear wrote: »
    Hi all.

Hope someone might provide some clarity on this.

My wife started a position with the NHS that required garda clearance.

So far so good.

Now when we were in Australia a few years ago we applied and got a garda clearance form. It was awkward to get, we printed off the form, filled it out, sent it to a relative who posted it with a stamped self addressed envelop. they'd get back the cert from the gards and then post it on to us in Australia. Real around the houses stuff but we got it.

Anyway we're the UK and did the same but got back a reply saying they only do that form for visa applications outside the EU. So we were directed to another online form, something about a data protection act.

anyway got back the form and now we're more confused than anything.

The headed letter from An Garda Síochána stated that they found no criminal record for the name and addresses provided but also stated in bold:
    This document should not be construed as Proof of Convictions, a Police Certificate, a Garda reference or Garda Vetting.
    This is most frustrating. She applied online for a police clearance cert for the years we were in Australia and had it back in the post in two weeks. Zero ambiguity involved.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I had a similar issue trying to get Garda Vetting when moving over to the UK. If I remember correctly, they will only do Garda Vetting if you apply through an agency or employer that requires it, and not on an individual basis.

To get a Police Cert or Garda reference you need to apply to your local Garda Station which living in the UK is obviously a bit of an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Dave0301 wrote: »
    I had a similar issue trying to get Garda Vetting when moving over to the UK. If I remember correctly, they will only do Garda Vetting if you apply through an agency or employer that requires it, and not on an individual basis.

To get a Police Cert or Garda reference you need to apply to your local Garda Station which living in the UK is obviously a bit of an issue.
    Thanks for replying. On further enquiries the Gardai tell us that while it is not a cert what they issued has been accepted in the UK in the past. My wife submitted it today and we haven't heard back so hopefully this is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

I have had the same Garda issued response for a security clearance check involved with my work & this was accepted as sufficient proof, I did not need to get a cert. I wouldn't worry about it, I'd be surprised if you hear back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Dr_Bill wrote: »
    I have had the same Garda issued response for a security clearance check involved with my work & this was accepted as sufficient proof, I did not need to get a cert. I wouldn't worry about it, I'd be surprised if you hear back.
    Thanks for that. I guess with our Australian cert being so easy to get we were a bit wtf with the ambiguous garda version of the same thing.

Advertisement