Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this make sense? What would you do?

Options
  • 04-01-2017 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭

Hi

My dad is hitting 60 next month and his wife and my brother have suggested getting him a ride on lawnmower for the garden. I only get home 2-3 times they are better placed to make suggestions than I am.

The grass part of the garden itself is about 50-60 metres long and about 15 metres wide. There's a brick wall to one side and an old stone wall to the other, there's also a trampoline, set of goal posts and some other toys in the garden for when the grand kids are over.

I'd near prefer to give him €1,000 - €1,500 and tell him to enjoy himself with it and if he wants to buy one he can. I'm also not sure that that level of money would even buy one that would last long term.

Would a ride on lawnmower be more hassle than it's worth? If they are what suggestions would you have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I am the type of person who will always answer the same way here. Never give people gifts that require maintenance or that they do something without asking them first.
    My brothers suggested getting my dad the same thing for his 60th. I forced them to ask him first. He said "no thanks, sure that's my exercise and I enjoy cutting the grass."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

pwurple wrote: »
    I am the type of person who will always answer the same way here. Never give people gifts that require maintenance or that they do something without asking them first.

Agree 100%++
    I'm almost at the age of the OPs Dad's and would hate a ride on (at the moment) but the simplest thing is to ask - buying one for him "cold" instantly involves him in storing, maintaining, servicing etc something he might not want in the first place.
    He might love one, or he might prefer a new, fancy walk behind, or maybe something completely different - ask first always :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

pwurple wrote: »
    My brothers suggested getting my dad the same thing for his 60th. I forced them to ask him first. He said "no thanks, sure that's my exercise and I enjoy cutting the grass."
    lottpaul wrote: »
    Agree 100%++
    I'm almost at the age of the OPs Dad's and would hate a ride on (at the moment) but the simplest thing is to ask - buying one for him "cold" instantly involves him in storing, maintaining, servicing etc something he might not want in the first place.
    He might love one, or he might prefer a new, fancy walk behind, or maybe something completely different - ask first always :)

Thanks guys. I asked this question to the family too and they said he would want one. Mind you they also said we should organise a surprise birthday for him...just close family...and a 120 person guest list, hotel booking, dj organising, menu choosing later.....he reminded them 'yet again' that he did not want a party for his birthday and we had to scrap the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

When I was 60 my family sent me on holiday to Crete and I thoroughly enjoyed it, if they had bought me a ride on mower I'd have disowned them all.:D

Marhay70 wrote: »
    When I was 60 my family sent me on holiday to Crete and I thoroughly enjoyed it, if they had bought me a ride on mower I'd have disowned them all.:D

That's what i want to get him, it makes more sense and I know he'd love to go back to Portugal again this summer......I don't want to rock the boat (or lawnmower) too much.

• Advertisement

cloneslad wrote: »
    That's what i want to get him, it makes more sense and I know he'd love to go back to Portugal again this summer......I don't want to rock the boat (or lawnmower) too much.

As others have said, try and run it past him subtly. Something like "is that lawn not a bit too big for a push mower?" and see what his reaction is.
    I've spent the last ten years getting rid of as much lawn as possible but then again, I was never a big fan of grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

How about a self drive standard mower if he wants the garden to be easier- and spend the difference on a holiday?

baaba maal wrote: »
    How about a self drive standard mower if he wants the garden to be easier- and spend the difference on a holiday?

He has a self drive one, he'd continue to use that for the front garden, I would think, as I don't think it would be practical to use the ride on.

I was talking to the family today and they are dead set on the ride on mower so I guess I'm just going to have to bite my tongue and do what I'm told by the family but it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who thinks its a bad decision.

That's a pity. Personally, I would still say that he should be asked at the very least! Having said that, I know how fambilees work too though!

That's a pity. Personally, I would still say that he should be asked at the very least! Having said that, I know how fambilees work too though!

They say he has mentioned a few times that he would like to have one. I'm sure he's mentioned he would like to retire at 60 too but I don't think we are gonna make that happen for him

• Advertisement

Do let us know how your dad gets on with the mower.

Do let us know how your dad gets on with the mower.

I will, I'm not the person responsible for picking it out. I'm just handing over the money to my brother and letting him do the damage.

Bringing him to watch the United V Liverpool game this weekend as well, so at least he might enjoy that.....unless United lose, then he most definitely won't.

Ask him does he think the grass at Old Trafford is too long? If he says that the grass doesn't matter........
    Enjoy the game anyhow!

Ask him does he think the grass at Old Trafford is too long? If he says that the grass doesn't matter........
    Enjoy the game anyhow!

With a bit of luck we'll get in early and see some grass cutting action. If he starts taking videos of their technique I'll know we're on to a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

With a bit of luck we'll get in early and see some grass cutting action. If he starts taking videos of their technique I'll know we're on to a winner.

Be careful though, don't encourage him too much, you won't pick up one of those machines cheap;)

Be careful though, don't encourage him too much, you won't pick up one of those machines cheap;)

I'll just take one from the stadium. I'm sure I can bring it back in my hand luggage.

I'll just take one from the stadium. I'm sure I can bring it back in my hand luggage.

They cut the grass at Old Trafford with push mowers. After the match you should see it. 5 lads walking along in a line with a push mower each

They cut the grass at Old Trafford with push mowers. After the match you should see it. 5 lads walking along in a line with a push mower each

I've seen them use both push mowers and special ride on cylinder mowers. Cutting grass at Premiership grounds is an artform of itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

They've a reputation for watering the pitch just before matches in old Trafford (or at least did during the Alex Ferguson years)

I wonder if they only use push mowers after the match because the ground will be a bit soft.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    They've a reputation for watering the pitch just before matches in old Trafford (or at least did during the Alex Ferguson years)

I wonder if they only use push mowers after the match because the ground will be a bit soft.

They've used push mowers anytime I've seen them cutting it. Though their push mower and my dad's current push mower are two totally different beasts.

They also water it at halftime too, though I'm not sure that'll happen this weekend.

Can't believe a thread about lawn mowers has turned into old trafford's pitch maintenance.

• Advertisement

They've used push mowers anytime I've seen them cutting it. Though their push mower and my dad's current push mower are two totally different beasts.

They also water it at halftime too, though I'm not sure that'll happen this weekend.

Can't believe a thread about lawn mowers has turned into old trafford's pitch maintenance.

While we were waiting the leave the stadium after the match the groundsmen came out to cut the grass (6 of them cutting the same pathway) and he turned to me and asked would they notice if he took one when they were done.

Then, about an hour later as we were walking through the car park, he saw them put them in a lock up unit. He said it was our time to grab one.

Now, this can only mean one of two things

1. He wants a new lawnmower
    2. My dad is a thief

And I'm not too confident about number one.

Advertisement