Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Repairs - Epoxy Putty

Options
  • 04-01-2017 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Afternoon All - hopefully someone can advise...

I need to repair two wooden windows at the back of the house...they had been damaged by an attempted break-in many years ago. While they close...albeit not 100% secure and we certainly notice the draughts...I need a more permanent repair. You can see in the pics attached where they were forced open before...and the damage to the frame.

I've been Googling and it appears epoxy putty is the way to go. The "sticks" seem perfect as I can fill, shape and then line/sand and paint to get an even finish. It needs a putty-type filler rather than the more glue-type epoxy. I tried Woodie's this morning and they only have the glue-type. Anyone know where I could get the epoxy putty in Dublin ?. Also if anyone has experience of this type of repair they might let me know if I'm on the right track.

Many thanks,
    K

PS. I will also have to attach the "nipple" (???) for the window stay to the repaired base...and I understand the epoxy-putty is drillable afterwards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭dathi

car body filler like isopon can be used you can get it in halfords only trouble is it will finish light grey after sanding you can mix powdered earth pigments like brown umber through it before you add the hardener to change the colour as it wont take a stain after it goes hard. or paint it brown.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would have thought the putty style sticks should be readily available? were woodies out of stock or simply don't carry them?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You can get the epoxy here http://marineparts.ie/maintenance/epoxy-resins-and-fillers/ along with the micro balloons to make a paste, or you can use household flour :) if you sand the window and collect the dust you can mix it into the epoxy to get a match, another option would be to cut a piece of wood to fit the hole and epoxy it in place.

Advertisement