Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house

Options
  • 04-01-2017 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I entered a 12 month lease in September, more or less had no choice due to the demand in Galway. Currently living with two other working professionals. Being September, we were competing with students and I'm trying to avoid that situation arising next September.

Basically the house is awful and we'd like to change sooner rather than later. When we moved in, no bins, no cleaning apparatus, beds had awful dips in them which have only got worse and started creaking. We were promised the house would be painted, the sitting room was done and that was it. We've to deal with an agent on behalf of the landlord and they simply won't reply to our requests. I've been involved in letting houses out myself back home, and while nothing is illegal (maybe the beds?), most of it is just really, really bad form.

I'm not looking for loopholes in the contract to exploit(which we never got a copy of actually), I'm looking for advice as to how to go about getting another place sorted before the rush for next semester begins again. We just want a nice place for a few years.

Should we ask to terminate the contract asap if we can find another? Should we see out the 12 months and just wait and hope we can get something better? If the house was deemed unsuitable, would there be ground for termination if no improvements were made? Should we post requests asking about next September now?

Thanks,

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It's clear that they have no intention of sorting out the issues you've raised, although none of them appear to be legal requirements (even the beds). The demand is such that you could find replacement tenants to take over the lease easily enough. The landlord can either reject assigning the lease and you can leave without penalty or you can assign to someone else and leave without penalty. Start looking for other accommodation, let your landlord know your plans, and get some people in to view the place so you can make a clean break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

you can cancel the lease at any time in the first 6 month without reason given.

you can cancel the lease at any time in the first 6 month without reason given.

No you cannot, without a break clause in the fixed term lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

you sure? tenancy board says different?

you sure? tenancy board says different?

A lease and a tenancy are different things in the law. You are likely referring to the tenancy which is the legal occupation of the property. The lease is the contract obliging the fixed term on both parties.

• Advertisement
Advertisement