Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry Level Bike Recommendations

Options
  • 04-01-2017 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I'm looking for some help picking an entry level bike.

I'm utilising the bike to work scheme so mods can move if more suitable in that thread.

I'm aiming to cycle to work about 10k about 2-3 times per week and then also to get into 1-2 hours cycles at week end.

So looking at spending in and around the 1000 mark obviously but a little over is no big deal if its worth it.

Currently looking at the Trek 1.2 (new 2017 model @ 950) or the Giant Contend 1 (@ 850) possibly going to the SL @ 1100 but that's seems a bit of a jump? I can't seem to find a trek in that range.

I don't need any bag for commuting.

Anyone have any opinions on these and if there's any room to haggle on prices etc or what else to ask for from retailers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Penalty wrote: »
    I'm looking for some help picking an entry level bike.

I'm utilising the bike to work scheme so mods can move if more suitable in that thread.

I'm aiming to cycle to work about 10k about 2-3 times per week and then also to get into 1-2 hours cycles at week end.

So looking at spending in and around the 1000 mark obviously but a little over is no big deal if its worth it.

Currently looking at the Trek 1.2 (new 2017 model @ 950) or the Giant Contend 1 (@ 850) possibly going to the SL @ 1100 but that's seems a bit of a jump? I can't seem to find a trek in that range.

I don't need any bag for commuting.

Anyone have any opinions on these and if there's any room to haggle on prices etc or what else to ask for from retailers.

I was in similar situation as you last month with same requirements. Went with the trek 7.4. and very happy with it. Maybe discontinued model but if you look around a few shops someone may still have stock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Trek 1.2 is a great bike. I have one 8 years it's now my winter/rainy weather bike. Still love it, done a good few 100k plus spins on it.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I was in similar situation as you last month with same requirements. Went with the trek 7.4. and very happy with it. Maybe discontinued model but if you look around a few shops someone may still have stock

One difference in the requirements is that the OP seems to be interested in drop bar road bikes, while the 7.4 is a flat bar hybrid, so ye may not arrive at the same final choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I have generally been happy with my Trek 1.2. It has stood me well for the last 2 years. I don't know what brakes are on the new model but the no name ones that came on mine were really ****. I replaced them with 105s and that made a massive difference. I also found the stock tyres to be not great and replaced them with continental GP4000s. Overall though it's a good bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Other options ...

http://cyclebike.ie/bike/reid-falco-advanced-black,-white-blue

2 years free servicing and Shimano 105 (a real step up from SORA (I have both)) you may want to change the cassette though.

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-road-team-carbon-bike

I have one of these and really like it - a lot of bike for the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Penalty

Thanks for all the comments - some more thinking to do now

Advertisement