Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting an Irish business as a non resident

Options
  • 04-01-2017 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,
    I am an Irish citizen but currently living in Crete for most of the year. I want to set up a business as a holiday rental agent, renting properties in Crete. I have an Irish address but spend less than 1 month a year in Ireland. 
    My question is, can I operate as a sole trader under Irish law and tax rules if I am not resident in Ireland?

I know I could open a business in Greece but it could take over a year to set up due to the unbelievable bureaucracy here. For me that is not an option as I couldn't afford it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You can establish a limited company in Ireland. Then you will need to establish a branch in Greece.

http://www.enterprisegreece.gov.gr/files/publications/KPMG_7.7.2009/03_purple-branch.pdf

According to this, it takes a month or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

JohnnyD17 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am an Irish citizen but currently living in Crete for most of the year. I want to set up a business as a holiday rental agent, renting properties in Crete. I have an Irish address but spend less than 1 month a year in Ireland.
    My question is, can I operate as a sole trader under Irish law and tax rules if I am not resident in Ireland?

Short answer is 'no'. The long answer is too long! - domicile, residency,etc.

Advertisement