Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 week app semi p holles street

Options
  • 04-01-2017 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all
    Got my letter for my first two appointments. 11 week says it's with "assistant master"? And there will be a scan to check viability, twins and dating. Is this a mini scan on their rubbish mini machines? Or a proper scan. I would like a proper scan where they can measure nuchal fold. If not I will organise one!

Next appointment is at 16 weeks with the consultant. I presume I get mini scan. Then at 20 weeks I get big scan in the private place apparently.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

As far as I know if you want the fold measured you have to pay for this scan anyway. The scan around 12 weeks is "just" a dating scan. I got handed folders at the booking appointment for the optional scans you can have. The one for the Nuchal fold measurement was quoted with around 300 Euro in the Rotunda as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ttc number 2

LirW wrote: »
    As far as I know if you want the fold measured you have to pay for this scan anyway. The scan around 12 weeks is "just" a dating scan. I got handed folders at the booking appointment for the optional scans you can have. The one for the Nuchal fold measurement was quoted with around 300 Euro in the Rotunda as far as I can remember.
    Thanks a million. I only want nuchal fold measured not the blood test that goes with it.
    Is is one of those mini scan machines?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Did you need to make the appt for the scan separately? if not I presume it is a mini scan.
    I had to make my scan appts separately in Holles st.
    Did it say all that on the letter?
    Are you attending the multiples clinic?
    My 1st appt there last time was bloods ,history and urine test.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ttc number 2

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Did you need to make the appt for the scan separately? if not I presume it is a mini scan.
    I had to make my scan appts separately in Holles st.
    Did it say all that on the letter?
    Are you attending the multiples clinic?
    My 1st appt there last time was bloods ,history and urine test.

This is what the letter says.....
    The app is a booking visit which includes recording a full medical and obstetric history and booking bloods with a midwife.
    An ultrasound scan wlll be performed at yor booking visit in the clinic. The purpose of this scan is to :
    - Check your dates
    - Assign a due date if dates are not accurate
    - Confirm multiple pregnancy
    - Check viability
    Gel is applied to the lower abdomen and a transducer is gently moved to obtain views.

This scan will be an external scan however you may be transferred to the main ultrasound department for further assessment if the views are not optimal or further evaluation is required.

A further detailed ultrasound examination will be carried out between 20 and 22 weeks to check the anatomy of the baby, you will be given an information leaflet about this examination at a later date.

I am just going to the normal semi p clinic not multiplies. The told me the consultant will book the 20 week scan for me at 16 weeks

Just wondering if its those rubbish machines or a proper ultrasound? Never been to semi p clinic before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

When I had my dating scan it was a proper ultrasound machine and the doctor gave me a handful of good pictures to take home. And I'm public in the Rotunda. Can't really imagine it'd be worse as a semi-private patient in Holles street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The nuchal fold scan is something you have to organise and pay for yourself. I was private in HS and had very detailed scans at 20 and 34 weeks each time but they don't check for any abnormalities such as down syndrome markers, that is a separate procedure.

Advertisement