Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Claims Bonus Issue

Options
  • 04-01-2017 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Have just changed insurance company and have been asked to send of my NCB. I couldn't find the original so had to pay €25 to get a duplicate sent to me. I posted this off and my new insurer have called to say they haven't received it yet (over a week ago) and said they will be forced to cancel my policy if not received in the next 7 days.

What I'm wondering is, there's surely a way for them to check on a database to see that I've 5 years NCB. It doesn't make sense that I have to spend another €25 to have another one reissued, I'm sure they ring your previous insurer anyway. The whole system seems a but strange.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

deirdref1 wrote: »
    Have just changed insurance company and have been asked to send of my NCB. I couldn't find the original so had to pay €25 to get a duplicate sent to me. I posted this off and my new insurer have called to say they haven't received it yet (over a week ago) and said they will be forced to cancel my policy if not received in the next 7 days.

What I'm wondering is, there's surely a way for them to check on a database to see that I've 5 years NCB. It doesn't make sense that I have to spend another €25 to have another one reissued, I'm sure they ring your previous insurer anyway. The whole system seems a but strange.

Get next one send by registered post.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭DonalB1

I had an issue where I was away with work a few year back and wasn't insured for 25 months - 1 month over the 2 years - and no one would honour the NCB I had built up before that.

Unfortunately insurance in Ireland is a gimmick designed to get every last penny possible out of the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 deirdref1

But surely there's no need to? Can they not just pick up the phone and call?? Even when they do receive a NCB they surely call the previous insurer to clarify that all checks out??

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Data protection means insurers can't simply call another and ask for your info...

Really? So they don't call to clarify that the document you send them is legitimate?

I was under the impression that I was sending the NCB but they were going to do their homework regardless

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Really? So they don't call to clarify that the document you send them is legitimate?

I was under the impression that I was sending the NCB but they were going to do their homework regardless

Not that simple I'm afraid.

I recently rang Aviva about an Aviva no claims bonus (I'm an underwriter) and they would not discuss the case with me without getting written permission from the policy holder.

There is currently in the works a national database where insurers can verify a customers bonus with another company, check previous claims etc but I genuinely believe it will be years before the red tape is cleared, never mind the cost entailed.

Really??? That makes no sense whatsoever. It would save so much paper work and hassle for everyone involved, not to mention saving me the initial €25 and now an additional €25.

Surely makes it very easy for people to provide fraudulent documents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Really??? That makes no sense whatsoever. It would save so much paper work and hassle for everyone involved, not to mention saving me the initial €25 and now an additional €25.

I see them on a near daily basis. We keep a stock of original verified no claims bonus letters from various insurer's to compare to ones we think are dodgy.

That makes sense, I suppose they're probably not the easiest of documents to forge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Can these things not be sent via email?

That's how it's done here, strangely convenient too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Rod Munch wrote: »

I see them on a near daily basis. We keep a stock of original verified no claims bonus letters from various insurer's to compare to ones we think are dodgy.

Have had to verify NCB's too, (A.P.A qualified) , to clarify the few off-looking NCB . Experience staff can spot dodgy documents/licence a mile off,know a few UWR's that can't !!

The database link is future task that will be launched by time we retire..

Advertisement