Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Area/Neighbourhood Boundaries

Options
  • 04-01-2017 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

Does anybody know if there is a map to show the boundaries between neighbourhoods in Dublin. As in, how do you know when you've left one area and entered another.
    All I can find are maps of the council boundaries but they're not really what I'm looking for.

I ask because a friend (originally from outside Dublin) has just moved to Phibsboro but is convinced she's living in the trendy neighborhood of Stoneybatter. I think she's been swindled but I don't have anything concrete to back it up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Google maps used to show area boundaries but doesn't seem to any more.

Wikipedia says "between the River Liffey, the North Circular Road, Smithfield Market, and Grangegorman" which seems to agree with the more verbose verbage at http://mossreid.blogspot.ie/2014/06/stoneybatter-cowtown-dublin.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I would say Stoneybatter covers an area (roughly) from Manor Street/Prussia Street to the east, North Circular Road to the North, Infirmary Road to the West and Benburb St or Arbour Hill to the south.

Phibsboro would start at Hanlon's Corner, I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I would have agreed but, I can't find anything with a hint of officialdom to confirm it.

I suspect money makers have played a hand in this. Taking a quick look at daft, I can see how someone from out of town could get confused.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What street does she live on?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What does the eircode say? What electoral ward is it in?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

10-15 years ago you had people claiming their house was anywhere *but* Stoneybatter - you'll find lots of conflicting definitions due to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Phibsboro is 100% not stoneybatter... phibsboro is phibsboro Cabra is Cabra and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Does anybody know if there is a map to show the boundaries between neighbourhoods in Dublin. As in, how do you know when you've left one area and entered another.
    All I can find are maps of the council boundaries but they're not really what I'm looking for.

I ask because a friend (originally from outside Dublin) has just moved to Phibsboro but is convinced she's living in the trendy neighborhood of Stoneybatter. I think she's been swindled but I don't have anything concrete to back it up.
    Phibsboro is not stoneybatter.
    Stoneybatter is manor St, stoneybatter and the adjacent Streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Front of phone book

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

phibsboro is phibsboro Cabra is Cabra and so on.

On that note. I lived on the Cabra Road for five years and to this day I'm still not sure whether I was in Phibsboro or Cabra. Where would people say is that boundary?

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    What does the eircode say? What electoral ward is it in?

Eircodes only identify the postal area, i.e. Dublin 7, which contains both Phibsboro and stoneybatter. I find the electoral wards to be equally broad.
    10-15 years ago you had people claiming their house was anywhere *but* Stoneybatter - you'll find lots of conflicting definitions due to that.
    This seems to be a part of it alright. I'm combing daft and see alot of boundaries seem to have shifted for trends or price increases

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Suburban boundaries in Dublin have no legal or official standing, and are famously flexible. For years, now, Clontarf has been advancing northward and Raheny has been advancing southward, and Dollymount has all but disappeared. Honestly, it's like the Partition of Poland.

Back in the day, what is now Stoneybatter and what is now Phibsboro were both considered to be part of a largish, and mostly agricultural, district known as Grangegorman. When that name came to be associated mainly with the hospital, people started subdividing Grangegorman into other areas with different names. (In fairness, this was at a time when the area was being developed for urban residential accommodation and the population was greatly increasing, so there was a need for more specific and localised district names.) Stoneybatter proper, the street of that name, lies to the south and west of the old Grangegorman hospital; Phibsboro to the north and east. So I'd say that the hospital and its grounds form the natural boundary between those two districts.

Nothing north of the North Circular Road is in Stoneybatter, to my mind. It's either in Phibsboro or Cabra. (Or, if you want to be old-fashioned, Phibsborough or Cabragh.)

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    On that note. I lived on the Cabra Road for five years and to this day I'm still not sure whether I was in Phibsboro or Cabra. Where would people say is that boundary?
    This area was also part of Grangegorman. Strictly speaking it was "Grangegorman Middle". The eastern end of it, around Dalymount Park, was developed much earlier, and was incorporated into the City of Dublin, and would probably be considered to be part of Phibsboro. I'd say everything west of the Broadstone railway line is in Cabra, but you could argue the toss; the actual townland of Cabragh starts at the western end of Cabra Road, where the Cabra Road, the Old Cabra Road and the Navan Road all meet.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Suburban boundaries in Dublin have no legal or official standing, and are famously flexible. For years, now, Clontarf has been advancing northward and Raheny has been advancing southward, and Dollymount has all but disappeared. Honestly, it's like the Partition of Poland.

Yes, it looks as though classic working class neighborhoods are disappearing altogether, being subsumed into nearby middle or upper class neighborhoods.

But as I said, there doesn't appear to be anything resembling an official document to detail the boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Worth noting that postal boundaries and parish boundaries are not always the same and people, at will, use either to further their own interests. For example I live in the postal area of Artane but the parish of Killester even though I'm closest to Raheny. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Pennies and Halpennies !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

This area was also part of Grangegorman. Strictly speaking it was "Grangegorman Middle". The eastern end of it, around Dalymount Park, was developed much earlier, and was incorporated into the City of Dublin, and would probably be considered to be part of Phibsboro. I'd say everything west of the Broadstone railway line is in Cabra, but you could argue the toss; the actual townland of Cabragh starts at the western end of Cabra Road, where the Cabra Road, the Old Cabra Road and the Navan Road all meet.

The railway line is probably the dividing line between Phibsborough and Cabra alright, but Charleville road seems determined to be in Phibsborough, not Cabra. Likewise Rosemount road is supposedly Phibsborough rather than Grangegorman. Anywhere Annamoe is Cabra though. There shouldn't be any disputed address between Phibsborough and Stoneybatter, as either Cabra or Grangegorman lie between.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

As Grangegorman and cowtown is between phibsborough and stoneybatter it is hard to see how anyone could be confused. More than likely they actually live in the north inner city. Historically the whole are is grangegorman from west of the phibsborough road to up to the phoenix park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

I've often wondered about this in relation to DCU, which locates itself in Glasnevin, but I've also heard people say it's in Ballymun, and even Whitehall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Radiosonde wrote: »
    I've often wondered about this in relation to DCU, which locates itself in Glasnevin, but I've also heard people say it's in Ballymun, and even Whitehall.

Glasnevin Park is between DCU and Ballymun so it doesn't seem likely DCU was ever in Ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

There's an ongoing Supreme Court issue over this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

If the local cafe serves kale smoothies or chai lattes then you're in Stoneybatter but if it serves Lyons tea or Maxwell House coffee, then you're in Phibsboro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ongarboy wrote: »
    If the local cafe serves kale smoothies or chai lattes then you're in Stoneybatter but if it serves Lyons tea or Maxwell House coffee, then you're in Phibsboro!!

Phibsboros next I suspect. Or phibo they will call it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

ongarboy wrote: »

Two Boys Brew cafe menu items in Phibsborough:
    Super Salad
    tri-color quinoa | shredded kale | wild rice | coriander | feta cheese | charred corn | black turtle beans | roast cherry tomato | goji berries | chilli lime vinaigrette

Cold Press Juice
    Green Love | 250ml
    cucumber, lettuce, parsley, spinach, apple, lemon, chard, kale

Chai on the menu too.
    This ship has sailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I'd say everything west of the Broadstone railway line is in Cabra

Yeah that struck me as a logical boundary too. One reason I still think maybe I was in Phibsboro (despite being slightly west of the railway line) is the architecture: the houses on Cabra Road are still very Phibs-ish up until you reach Dowth Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

I looked into this last year, as I had similar questions over glasnevin. On the IOS website there are some historic maps which show the old boundaries, but alot of these are irrelevant these days e.g Ballymun avenue is now glasnevin avenue.

Radiosonde wrote: »
    It's in the civil parish of Glasnevin.

Townland-wise, it's divided between the townlands of Wad and Hamstead North. Neither of these graduated to being a commonly-used district name when the area was urbanised (and in the case of Wad you can see why).

budhabob wrote: »
    I looked into this last year, as I had similar questions over glasnevin. On the IOS website there are some historic maps which show the old boundaries, but alot of these are irrelevant these days e.g Ballymun avenue is now glasnevin avenue.
    Road names are not generally much use in identifying district names. The Howth Road is so called because it's the road to Howth, not because it's in Howth, and this is more often and not the case for roads which are named after places; they mostly lie outside the place after which they are named. The idea that DCU is in Ballymun may have originated because it's just off Ballymun Road, but that stretch of Ballymun Road is not in Ballymun at all; it's in Glasnevin.

Glasnevin Avenue (Ballymun Avenue that was) lies partly in Finglas, partly in Santry and partly in Glasnevin, but it is the approach to Ballymun, if you're starting from Finglas, which is probably the reason for the original name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Which part of Glasnevin Ave is in Santry?

At the junction of Ballymun Road it becomes Collins Ave Extension down to Whitehall then Collins Ave from there to Donnycarney then Collins Ave East after the big church down to Killester village.

Advertisement