Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Area/Neighbourhood Boundaries

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Radiosonde wrote: »
    I've often wondered about this in relation to DCU, which locates itself in Glasnevin, but I've also heard people say it's in Ballymun, and even Whitehall.
    DCU is Glasnevin by about 200 metres. The crossroads at Ballymun Rd/Glasnevin Ave would be Ballymun to the north and Glasnevin to the south.
    psinno wrote: »
    Glasnevin Park is between DCU and Ballymun so it doesn't seem likely DCU was ever in Ballymun.
    Glasnevin Park is nowhere near it, it's further up towards Finglas.

As regards to the OP. Stoneybatter is in Dublin 7, it is in the Dublin Central Dail Constituency, it is in the North Inner City DCC Constituency. It's DED electoral ward is Arran Quay B. It shares all of the above with Grangegorman.

In my opinion Stoneybatter is bordered to the north by the NCR, south by Arbour Hill, east is Prussia Street/Manor Street, west is O'Deveaney and along Arbour Hill prison.
    The rest of that general area down to the quays and the Phoenix Park is Arbour Hill.

Once you go over the Prussia/Manor/Blackhall line then you're into Grangegorman with Smithfield to the south. Phibsboro is east of the train tracks and the Dalymount, Mountjoy, Mater Hospital area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Does anybody know if there is a map to show the boundaries between neighbourhoods in Dublin. As in, how do you know when you've left one area and entered another.
    All I can find are maps of the council boundaries but they're not really what I'm looking for.

I ask because a friend (originally from outside Dublin) has just moved to Phibsboro but is convinced she's living in the trendy neighborhood of Stoneybatter. I think she's been swindled but I don't have anything concrete to back it up.

You won't find one. But the local sorting office is a clue.

I had the joys of working as a motorbike courier for two years during the boom.

Regular client was the Anglo. Send us out to deliver stuff to addresses "Dalkey" or "Killiney" that turned out to be across the road from the garage in Ballybrack.

This one house had a street number but used the house name instead. Was the size of a postage stamp and impossible to see on a dark, rainy night..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

This went all the way to the Supreme Court to determine addresses...

Personally I live in Blanchardstown I can pop to the shopping centre walking in 5 minutes. However I am in Castle knock ded but vote in Main St blanchardstown. Google maps show me in a town land I've never heard of and I've lived round here all my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

But as I said, there doesn't appear to be anything resembling an official document to detail the boundaries.
    An post have a site which indicates the address to be used.

http://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Search.aspx

So if you are unfortunate enough to live in a supposed affluent area you can pre-empt it and when asked where you live say "you mean my actual official postal address?" and say "an post officially say xyz". So the snob-patrol do not get to have their little argument.

If you are certain the debate is coming it could be "you mean my actual official postal address? or the one you would like it to be?"

I have never seen the snob-patrol brigade argue in reverse -i.e. when someone says a postal address I know to be wrong and in a "poorer area" they never try and correct them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

rubadub wrote: »

My address just says Dublin 7. How vague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

rubadub wrote: »

It includes post towns. Which is a bit useless. I have never lived in Naas, for instance...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

My thinking is if you cant find something - eircode, shared electoral polling station, parish boundaries - to tie your address to a district, then you shouldnt go round claiming that you are in it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Which part of Glasnevin Ave is in Santry?

At the junction of Ballymun Road it becomes Collins Ave Extension down to Whitehall then Collins Ave from there to Donnycarney then Collins Ave East after the big church down to Killester village.
    Not very much of it, and it's only barely in Santry. The easternmost 150 metres or so, running between Ballymun Road and a laneway that gives access to the tennis courts behind Ballymun library lies in the civil parish of Santry. That laneway runs along the boundary between Santry civil parish and Glasnevin Civil Parish

odyssey06 wrote: »
    My thinking is if you cant find something - eircode, shared electoral polling station, parish boundaries - to tie your address to a district, then you shouldnt go round claiming that you are in it.
    Basically, locality names in Dublin have no fixed boundaries. An area is considered to be in a particular locality if enough people speak of it as being in that locality. Usage varies over time, especially as land is developed for residential purposes. An area which, when rural, was considered to be part of Rathmines (in Dublin) is now called Dartry, for example. There is no parish or townland of Dartry; the district appears to have been named after Dartry House, which was built in the early nineteenth century in the townland of Rathmines South. (Dartry House may have been named after the Barony of Dartry in Monaghan.) Presumably as the area was developed for residential purposes telling people that you lived in "Rathmines" was not terribly helpful; Rathmines was just too big, and Rathmines South, confusingly, is not the southernmost part of what was then considered Rathmines. So people started to say that they lived near near Dartry House, and pretty soon an understanding of where "Dartry" was emerged, and the understanding of what was embraced by "Rathmines" contracted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Not very much of it, and it's only barely in Santry. The easternmost 150 metres or so, running between Ballymun Road and a laneway that gives access to the tennis courts behind Ballymun library lies in the civil parish of Santry. That laneway runs along the boundary between Santry civil parish and Glasnevin Civil Parish
    :eek:

Wow, that's interesting.

• Advertisement

Basically, locality names in Dublin have no fixed boundaries. An area is considered to be in a particular locality if enough people speak of it as being in that locality.

Except we do have fixed boundaries which over time reflect those considerations for some localities... such as postcodes parishes, polling stations, school catchment areas etc
    So, assuming the locality has had time to associate to those kind of fixed boundaries:
    If you live in Dublin 3 and claim you're living in Clontarf, but are not in the boundaries of any of the Clontarf parishes, and vote in a polling station in Marino, you're not living in Clontarf as far as I'm concerned - even though 300 years ago there was no Marino, there was only Clontarf.

In your example, if those people in 'Dartry' are still in a Rathmines parish or polling station, then they are in greater Rathmines, but it might not be possible to really categorise where Dartry is.

But I don't know Stoneybatter \ Phibsboro well enough to know if it's a Clontarf or Darty situation.

The thing is, over time the fixed boundaries don't reflect people's understandings of where localities lie. Both Rathgar and Terenure, for example, are in the civil parish of Rathfarnham, but if you were trying to find your way to someone's home in Rathgar or Terenure, I don't think it would be much help to you to be told that they lived in Rathfarnham. There are 10 electoral divisions with "Rathmines" in the name; Dartry doesn't lie in any of them but the Royal Hospital Donnybrook, for example, does. Would you say that the Royal Hospital is more "Rathmines" than Dartry is? I wouldn't.

District Electoral Divisions, in particular, were created and are name for boring administrative convenience. The 10 DEDs with "Rathmines" in the name are so named because originally their electoral business was conducted out of Rathmines Town Hall, not because they include areas considered at the time or now to be in Rathmines.

Parish and townland names do reflect what people at one time called the land included in them, but the names are mostly centuries old, and people's usage has changed. The housing development commonly called "Marino" - the devolopment surrounding the circular Marino Park - lies half in the townland of Marino and half in the townland of Ballybough. (The same is true of the park itself.) Do you consider one side of Marino to be more truly "Marino" than the other because one side has long been called Marino and the other only more recently so? No, me neither.

The bottom line is that the name of any area, district or locality is what people call it. That's what the word "name" means. If people call an area Dartry or Marino, then Darty or Marino is, by definition, the name of that area. Suburbs, etc, don't align precisely with parish or townland boundaries' the result is that we can have a townland, a parish and a suburb all with the same name, but considered to embrace different areas. The fact that the names are constantly evolving and shifting does create a space in which snobbery, social climbing, fashion, etc can influence the development of names, but this should hardly surprise us.

There may be some drift between different boundaries - parish v postal v electoral, but if you can't find a single boundary tying your address to that suburb, you're not in that suburb.
    If there are no boundaries that align with that suburb, even approximately, the suburb doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. We're into some sort of nebulous and vague 'locality', and no one should place too much significance on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

amtc wrote: »
    This went all the way to the Supreme Court to determine addresses...

Personally I live in Blanchardstown I can pop to the shopping centre walking in 5 minutes. However I am in Castle knock ded but vote in Main St blanchardstown. Google maps show me in a town land I've never heard of and I've lived round here all my life.

A lot of townlands around Dublin 15 have names that go back to tribal and chieftain times. The barony of Castleknock covers pretty much all of Dublin 15 as far as the Meath border.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

odyssey06 wrote: »
    if you can't find a single boundary tying your address to that suburb, you're not in that suburb [...] as far as I'm concerned.

You're just proving Peregrinus' point. It's all down to opinion. Someone might think they live in Rathmines, you might disagree but since there's no legal boundary like a county border, you're both right and wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

The fact that the names are constantly evolving and shifting does create a space in which snobbery, social climbing, fashion, etc can influence the development of names, but this should hardly surprise us.

You're right, it shouldn't surprise us.
    But when money gets involved, everything else be damned, squeeze for the last penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Basically, locality names in Dublin have no fixed boundaries. An area is considered to be in a particular locality if enough people speak of it as being in that locality. Usage varies over time, especially as land is developed for residential purposes. An area which, when rural, was considered to be part of Rathmines (in Dublin) is now called Dartry, for example. There is no parish or townland of Dartry; the district appears to have been named after Dartry House, which was built in the early nineteenth century in the townland of Rathmines South. (Dartry House may have been named after the Barony of Dartry in Monaghan.) Presumably as the area was developed for residential purposes telling people that you lived in "Rathmines" was not terribly helpful; Rathmines was just too big, and Rathmines South, confusingly, is not the southernmost part of what was then considered Rathmines. So people started to say that they lived near near Dartry House, and pretty soon an understanding of where "Dartry" was emerged, and the understanding of what was embraced by "Rathmines" contracted.

But is Dartry more Cullenswood or Uppercross! That's what you might find on the original landgrants.

Advertisement