Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mercedes CLK200 coolant gauge problem

• 04-01-2017 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    The coolant temp gauge on a 2005 Mercedes CLK200 Kompressor only works very rarely. Can anyone give me an idea what may be wrong? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lookinghere

Bif wrote: »
    Folks,
    The coolant temp gauge on a 2005 Mercedes CLK200 Kompressor only works very rarely. Can anyone give me an idea what may be wrong? Thanks.

Could be a coolant sensor faulty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

Replace the thermostat, very common fault with that engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Bif

vw4life wrote: »
    . Thanks...temp gauge reads right when it operates so wasn't thinking of thermostat but that may be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lookinghere

Could be that all right it's best for him to check the simple things

Could be a coolant sensor faulty
    Do you know if the sensor can be changed without draining the coolant? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Do you know if the sensor can be changed without draining the coolant? Thanks.

Yes it can, just make sure the coolant is cold.

Yes it can, just make sure the coolant is cold.

Cheers. Will I lose much coolant when I take out the sensor?

Cheers. Will I lose much coolant when I take out the sensor?

Not much

Not much

Hi. I changed the sensor but no improvement. Same as with the the sensor Ireplaced the very odd reading comes up for a few seconds...any thoughts on what I should look at next? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

anthin up with the connector to the coolant temp sender?
    Gauge going? maybe hit it a rap and see if it works ;-)

• Advertisement

Hi. I changed the sensor but no improvement. Same as with the the sensor Ireplaced the very odd reading comes up for a few seconds...any thoughts on what I should look at next? Thanks.

Change the thermostat

Change the thermostat

Thanks. Would the gauge show some reading after the engine was running for a while even if the thermostat was stuck open? The heating system seems to warm up quickly and the when the gauge does work it is at the correct temp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

A failed/failing thermostat can behave erratically. Stuck open, stuck closed, stuck halfway, sometimes works.... it's a mechanical component that will eventually fail and as other poster advised is common with this engine. It's a cheap part and if it doesn't fix it no harm done.

Take it from someone who disappeared up is own you know what replacing water pump, timing belt etc etc when I think thermostat would have done it. In my case sometimes the coolant was getting so hot it was making the water pump squeal (I think)

Rough guide if top radiator hose is hot and bottom hose stone cold it can be thermostat. Just my amateur DIY 2c.

Advertisement